BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

04-12-2014, 11:24 AM   #1
Rewted
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Bridgestone Potenza S-04 rotational direction?

I've got a staggered setup on 19" OEM wheels, with Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position tires. It is to my understanding that asymmetrical tires have the word "outside" labeled on the side of the tire that should face outward from the vehicle. These tires appear to have a directional arrow too which may also just be for design.

Do these tires have a rotational direction or can I assume this asymmetrical tire can be swapped on the rear side to side?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 04:42 PM   #2
Leonardo629
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe

yes, you can rotate from side to side...just make sure "outside" is on the outside
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 06:45 PM   #3
e92ben
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 BMW 635csi

Off topic how do you like those tires??

e92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 11:55 AM   #4
jcm3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M, 07 911 TT

I just got them as well as long as they say outside on the "outside" your good to go. They are good so far for a street performance tire I came from yoko neova a08 so these while not are gripping last long and have better wet performance. Minus are they are heavy tires
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 12:00 PM   #5
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92ben View Post
The S04's are heavy, but they offer a smoother ride and balance out very well, just like Michelin tires. They are more similar to PS2's in terms of their character. Think of them as heavier, longer lasting PS2's with more ride comfort and a little more sidewall rigidity. If you compare the sidewall of the S04 to the Super Sport, you'll find that it is a thicker and stiffer sidewall but the extra rubber insulates the ride from bumps (so it is both slightly stiffer and more comfortable, at the expense of weight).

I prefer the break away of the Bridgestone S04's to the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. The S04's have slightly less total grip in the wet/dry, but the character is more progressive at the limit. The PSS is a peakier tire which reminds me of a Dunlop Direzza Z2 but with a softer sidewall. While the PSS is undoubtedly a faster tire, there is a smaller window to access its superior performance (especially in the wet). For that reason, I enjoy driving the Bridgestones slightly more.

The Bridgestone tires do not heat cycle out as badly as the Michelin PSS which drop off in performance after several heat cycles (think Hankook R-S3's). By the time the PSS are at half tread, they have hardened quite a bit. The Bridgestones seem more consistent over time. Overall, they'll last about the same with the Michelins being better earlier in their life and worse towards the end of their life. By the time a PSS is close to the wear bars, it's way down on grip.

Disclaimer: I have tried the Michelin PSS, PS2, PS1, Bridgestone RE050, S04, RE11, Yokohama Advan AD08, AD08R, Dunlop Z2, Hankook R-S3, BFG Rival, Pirelli PZero as well as a variety of DOT and non DOT slicks from Hoosier, Hankook, Toyo and BFG, but they have been on different cars. I have tried PSS, PS2, and S04's on my stock E90 M3 but the other tires referenced above have been on different cars (Z2 on E36 M3 track car and R-S3 on E46 M3 race car).

Last edited by smmmurf; 04-14-2014 at 12:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 12:33 PM   #6
e92ben
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 BMW 635csi

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92ben View Post
The S04's are heavy, but they offer a smoother ride and balance out very well, just like Michelin tires. They are more similar to PS2's in terms of their character. Think of them as heavier, longer lasting PS2's with more ride comfort and a little more sidewall rigidity. If you compare the sidewall of the S04 to the Super Sport, you'll find that it is a thicker and stiffer sidewall but the extra rubber insulates the ride from bumps (so it is both slightly stiffer and more comfortable, at the expense of weight).

I prefer the break away of the Bridgestone S04's to the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. The S04's have slightly less total grip in the wet/dry, but the character is more progressive at the limit. The PSS is a peakier tire which reminds me of a Dunlop Direzza Z2 but with a softer sidewall. While the PSS is undoubtedly a faster tire, there is a smaller window to access its superior performance (especially in the wet). For that reason, I enjoy driving the Bridgestones slightly more.

The Bridgestone tires do not heat cycle out as badly as the Michelin PSS which drop off in performance after several heat cycles (think Hankook R-S3's). By the time the PSS are at half tread, they have hardened quite a bit. The Bridgestones seem more consistent over time. Overall, they'll last about the same with the Michelins being better earlier in their life and worse towards the end of their life. By the time a PSS is close to the wear bars, it's way down on grip.

Disclaimer: I have tried the Michelin PSS, PS2, PS1, Bridgestone RE050, S04, RE11, Yokohama Advan AD08, AD08R, Dunlop Z2, Hankook R-S3, BFG Rival, Pirelli PZero as well as a variety of DOT and non DOT slicks from Hoosier, Hankook, Toyo and BFG, but they have been on different cars. I have tried PSS, PS2, and S04's on my stock E90 M3 but the other tires referenced above have been on different cars (Z2 on E36 M3 track car and R-S3 on E46 M3 race car).
Thanks man!

e92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 01:27 PM   #7
Leonardo629
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe

Not only is S0-4s cheaper than Michelin PSS, S0-4 also come in 285/30/19 flavor for us ZCP owners
Appreciate 0