BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-03-2014, 11:00 PM   #1
Beemo
Rep
Drives: 2013 e92 6MT M3 ZCP

Has this happened to you??

This is extremely annoying! Does anyone have experience with this?

I spent weeks researching which exhaust to get. Decided the MPE was for me, found a good price on a new one on ebay (from a dealer) and ordered it last week. This is my first real mod on this car so I've been excited all week!

I live in a gated town home community. The package arrived yesterday when I was traveling. As I pull up to the gate later in the afternoon, it's obvious that the UPS driver brought the package to the gate, couldn't figure out the gate code to get inside (never been an issue before), and decided to simply push the 45 lb box over the 7-8 foot tall gate! It landed by the mechanism that opens the gate and settled in a way such that the chain was ripping the box anytime the gate was opened. It had been there for 4 hours when I found it.

I brought the mangled box into my garage and opened it to inspect the contents. Naturally, one of the connecting pipes was bent at the end and there could obviously be damage to the rest of the exhaust system that I haven't found yet or may never find. I'm sure that even if I repair the bent pipe and install the exhaust, I will always pick up on small imperfections and wonder if it would sound differently if I started with an undamaged exhaust.

I called UPS and told them the story. They asked if it was repairable and I said no (for the reason stated above). They said they'd pick up the package and inspect it (which could take 2 weeks) before telling me my options.

Does anyone have experience with this? If they say that they'll just repair the bent pipe, should I settle for that and just hope that nothing else was damaged or should I expect a brand new MPE? I know that the MPE is not the most durable exhaust out there, but is it fragile enough that I should be very concerned? This is not a good feeling.

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 11:06 PM   #2
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Tough luck. I would take it to an exhaust shop. They should be able to fix the pipe with a tubing expander without an issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 02:09 PM   #3
sylonien
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehighM3 View Post
Tough luck. I would take it to an exhaust shop. They should be able to fix the pipe with a tubing expander without an issue.
That ^
      10-04-2014, 02:46 PM   #4
WickedE93
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: White E93 M3

I'd wait the two weeks brother, only because as it is the welds have been known to go bad on that exhaust just with normal use. The odds of this happening now are a lot greater due to the mishandling/damage that has occurred.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 05:04 PM   #5
rantarM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Did you contact the dealer that sold it to you? They must have insured the package. Let them deal with ups and get a replacement exhaust from them. The tips on the MPE are titanium so it may not be so easy to fix. Besides, you don't want a banged up exhaust for that kind of money. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 05:41 PM   #6
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantarM3
Did you contact the dealer that sold it to you? They must have insured the package. Let them deal with ups and get a replacement exhaust from them. The tips on the MPE are titanium so it may not be so easy to fix. Besides, you don't want a banged up exhaust for that kind of money. Good luck.
The MPE is inconel
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 07:57 PM   #7
Beemo
Rep
Drives: 2013 e92 6MT M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantarM3 View Post

UPS said that they would contact the dealer, but I agree and will call them to let them know what happened. Getting a replacement exhaust would be the ideal solution. I assumed they would just give me a "not my problem" kind of response but it's worth a shot. Thanks for the advice.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 08:48 PM   #8
hpapad01
BMW CCA member and you should be too!
Rep
Drives: DYII E93 M3,540 M-Sport,911C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehighM3 View Post
The MPE is inconel
I thought the tips are titanium and the rest is Inconel! Are you saying now the tips are Inconel as well?
      10-04-2014, 09:38 PM   #9
BaseM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey M3

Make sure u keep the box it came in. They will request it. Is the box damaged? I went through this with fedex and they did not make any adjustment because they said the box was not damaged even though the tv was smashed. Get it?
      10-04-2014, 10:00 PM   #10
VK335M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335 M Sport

I had the same thing happen to me when I ordered performance exhaust for my 335. I contacted the dealer and had them ship a new one right away. At the same time, the dealer contacted ups and had them pick up the damaged unit.

My advice is to contact the dealer that sold you the exhaust and let them deal with it. Ensure that the dealer will package replacement exhaust more secure. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 10:01 PM   #11
Sinful
Banned
Rep
Drives: Its black and has 4 wheels

Contact the dealer. You paid for a brand new exhaust. They sent you a bent one, maybe delivery idiots bent it or maybe it was already bent when it left their facility, or maybe the dealer did not package it good enough. Not your problem to figure out if they sent you a bent one or the delivery bent it. Request to send it back to them and get a replacement. They can then deal with the delivery idiots. I had this same exact thing happen to me. When you call them tell them you got it bent, dont blame it on the delivery, simply say you got it bent. In my case they shipped me out a brand new set and I sent back the bent one.
Fugging sucks doesn't it?? Sorry to hear your story believe my I know how you feel!!
Appreciate 0