BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

View Poll Results: Do you agree this issue needs clarification by BMW AG Germany
Vote YES if you agree 20 51.28%
Vote NO if you feel you need no clarification 19 48.72%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

12-28-2011, 10:59 AM   #1
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Can someone from BMW please clarify the FIRST OIL SERVICE issue.

It seams that quite a few of us have received different stories as to what is required on the oil change after 1200 Miles (2000 KM on Canadian Cars) when it comes to our M3 be it M-DCT or the 6MT.

I've responded to one of the threads on this issue, however, I feel it is important some one from BMW AG Maintenance Division once and for all responds to this issue to set our minds at rest as to what is really required when it comes to our first oil change after our break in period.

There are just too many scenarios (one had only his engine oil changed, another the engine oil and the transmission oil, some had all three changed including the differential oil). If there is a difference in the year the car has been manufactured then fine can someone post the service bulletins that clarifies this issue?

I think we are entitled to a clear response as to what is required and if it is not required we like to know why it is not required.

For example: Oil change here is not required since our test results have proven that any foreign particles left in the (transmission / differential) will de-solve and present no mechanical harm due to the type of oil we are using at assembly.

This would be a good explanation. What do you fellows think?

Below is what I replayed to in this thread ===> CLICK to go to this thread
I am sure there are many more discussions on this subject.

May I request that Moderators alert the right party to respond to set this what I believe to be an important matter straight? The response from BMW perhaps can be made a Sticky Thread so that this matter can be put to rest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sikbmr View Post
fucking stealership! never do shit right and blame the customer. I hate going there and telling the guy what needs to get done and he looks at me like i'm stupid because he never heard of it. I print all supporting documents out now so nothing can be said
It is interesting how many different analysis there are as to what is and what is not required. I bet if one phones different dealership maintenance departments and ask a simple question like ...

"What do you do at a 1200 Mile (2000 KM in Canada) inspection"?

One might gets different stories and that is very alarming as far as I am concerned. This thread here is a good excample of this ===> CLICK

I somehow wish a knowledgeable BMW employee (I know BMW reads some of our threads) would set the matter straight.

We pay hard earned dollars for our high end BMW and should expect that the service to our cars is done correctly without us having to argue the point (presenting service bulletins and copies from the service manual to get it done correctly) when our cars are due for service.

It seams to me (as has been stated before) that not all BMW Service Departments are really aware of what is required exactly of our M3 engines and when I read statements like (sometimes the key reader is not exactly correct) I am even more concerned that when we go for service some computer program determines what should be done to our car with very little human interface.

I hope someone from BMW Service Division will set this straight!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks in advance .... let us put this issue to bed please a clear point by point response would be nice or some sort of BMW Service Bulletin posted in the Sticky area will do the trick

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 11:09 AM   #2
Stronghammer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Thank you Rolf. Let's hope someone will clarify this issue for us.
Mods: ESS VT1, MS test pipes, 19 BBS CH-R, Eibach pro springs, Painted reflectors, carbon fiber grills, Painted side markers with dark tinted lenses, 30% tint, Arkym rear diffuser, Innotech axle back exhaust, Performance spoiler
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 11:16 AM   #3
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
I don't see a response forthcoming but we can hope.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 11:20 AM   #4
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Thank you rhird and THE TECH I certainly hope so, knowing and having meet people in München I know we will see something responsible so this issue will no longer require to be addressed.

I am concerned in particular since during this past year two BMW managers told me that our M3 comes with RFT we all know they do not. The last time was one day before I picked up my 2012 .. The manager phoned me to sell me wheel and tire insurance and started out by saying "You know your M3 comes with RFT we like to offer you .... etc" I stopped him right there and informed him of the fact that our cars come with NON-RFT.

So if this happens I am not surprised at all how many different stories we get when it comes to oil change.

Poll added

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 11:30 AM   #5
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
Thank you rhird and THE TECH I certainly hope so, knowing and having meet people in München I know we will see something responsible so this issue will no longer require to be addressed.

I am concerned in particular since during this past year two BMW managers told me that our M3 comes with RFT we all know they do not. The last time was one day before I picked up my 2012 .. The manager phoned me to sell me wheel and tire insurance and started out by saying "You know your M3 comes with RFT we like to offer you .... etc" I stopped him right there and informed him of the fact that our cars come with NON-RFT.

So if this happens I am not surprised at all how many different stories we get when it comes to oil change.

Poll added
The RFT is another big rant for me. I sometimes feel like I'm on a hidden camera show and any minute someone will bust out and say "we got you!" I've been told this 3 times already and also how the PS2 is made differently for bmw than the tirerack one.

There are two people on the boards who can help. Either Evan from tischer bmw or Jimmy from steve thomas bmw.(Golffrr)

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 11:35 AM   #6
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Hadn't been on the general forum in a while, always good for a laugh
      12-28-2011, 11:46 AM   #7
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

With my 08 both gearbox & rear end oil was changed at the 2000.In my 11 it was just the rear end oil that was changed as my newer car is an M-DCT.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 11:52 AM   #8
Superfly_M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Here's what I got so far from speaking to two dealerships:

Dealership 1

Me: Whats has to be done at 2,000km (paraphrasing)
SA: [girly voice] Ugh ... they basically check over the vehicle and do a tune up
Me: Does the engine oil have to be changed
SA: Yes
Me: Does the transmission oil have to be changed
Me: Does the differential oil have to be changed

... its like pulling teeth.

Dealership 2 (Very helpful, they put me on hold to check whats needs to be done:

SA: It includes transmission and differential oil flush as well as an engine oil change, the service takes about 4 hours. The vehicle will also get a checkover
Me: Thank you

BTW: SA2 also told me that you have to wait until 2,000km but if needed it can be stretched to 3,000km.

Someone Please put a sticky up.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 12:02 PM   #9
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vespa

I downloaded the service book for my model and year from http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...antyBooks.aspx and it was pretty clear. It even has a special 1200 mile section.

Quote:
The 1200 Mile Service requires changing the oil in the engine, as well as in the transmission (transmission fluid does not need to be changed for an M3 with the optional M-DCT Drivelogic transmission) and the differential.
You can either print that book, or get one from your dealer, and present it to your SA if they state otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 12:05 PM   #10
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by robackja View Post
I downloaded the service book for my model and year from http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...antyBooks.aspx and it was pretty clear. It even has a special 1200 mile section.

You can either print that book, or get one from your dealer, and present it to your SA if they state otherwise.
Thanks for the link!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 01:10 PM   #11
crabman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M

I checked out that link while I was combing their site but it is not yet updated for the 12MY. With any luck by the time my car gets here it will be as I plan on going in with full documentation and a phone call up front to make sure that everyone is on the same page. Considering the nearest dealer is a two hour no traffic drive one way I would like to get it right the first time.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 01:15 PM   #12
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

I found out from my dealer today that the VPC did my 1200 mile service @ 800 miles at the VPC upon re-delivery.

I looked closely at the service advisor's screen, but it just said 1200 miles service performed, no details. I can't really argue with what did or did not happen at the VPC, so I'll have to assume they changed the oil/diff fluid properly.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 03:10 PM   #13
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Hadn't been on the general forum in a while, always good for a laugh
Good to know that some people can laugh about this. You must be satisfied with your BMW Service Department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
With my 08 both gearbox & rear end oil was changed at the 2000.In my 11 it was just the rear end oil that was changed as my newer car is an M-DCT.
There seam to be different requirements for year of manufacture and type of transmission. I just wish someone can produce a logical point by point list to clarify this. My money is on BMW Maintenance and Engineering to just produce such a list or point us in the right direction. I've meet some fine people at BMW (Die Welt, The Museum and the Factory) in München in 2009 surely one of them will point us in the right direction. I hate to see customers of such a nice product as a BMW being confused and dissatisfied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly_M3 View Post
Here's what I got so far from speaking to two dealerships:

Dealership 1

SA: [girly voice] Ugh ... they basically check over the vehicle and do a tune up
Me: Does the engine oil have to be changed
Me: Does the transmission oil have to be changed
Me: Does the differential oil have to be changed

... its like pulling teeth.

Dealership 2 (Very helpful, they put me on hold to check whats needs to be done:

SA: It includes transmission and differential oil flush as well as an engine oil change, the service takes about 4 hours. The vehicle will also get a checkover
Me: Thank you

BTW: SA2 also told me that you have to wait until 2,000km but if needed it can be stretched to 3,000km.

Someone Please put a sticky up.
Great post ... thank you .... can you PM me the dealership so I can make an appointment? Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robackja View Post

Thank you for the link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman View Post
I checked out that link while I was combing their site but it is not yet updated for the 12MY. With any luck by the time my car gets here it will be as I plan on going in with full documentation and a phone call up front to make sure that everyone is on the same page. Considering the nearest dealer is a two hour no traffic drive one way I would like to get it right the first time.
Let us cross our fingers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
I found out from my dealer today that the VPC did my 1200 mile service @ 800 miles at the VPC upon re-delivery.

I looked closely at the service advisor's screen, but it just said 1200 miles service performed, no details. I can't really argue with what did or did not happen at the VPC, so I'll have to assume they changed the oil/diff fluid properly.
It is not fair to just make this statement ... I am used to see what was done and what material was used i.e part numbers ... type of oil etc. It is your right you paid for that 4 year service program up front. Perhaps some SA feels they do all this for free and they are doing you a favour. you should insist on a
detail list.

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 03:19 PM   #14
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It is not fair to just make this statement ... I am used to see what was done and what material was used i.e part numbers ... type of oil etc. It is your right you paid for that 4 year service program up front. Perhaps some SA feels they do all this for free and they are doing you a favour. you should insist on a
detail list.
How am I going to "insist"? Records show "1200 mile service" performed on 12/2/11 at service center XXX (aka VPC) with car at 800miles. Who exactly is going to find out what was done to my vehicle above and beyond what the maintenance records show? You think the VPC is going to remember? And how would I even begin tell if they're being truthful or just telling me what I want to hear?

The burden of proof is not with them, and BMW NA is not going to side with you if you insist that one or more of the maintenance items just get redone due to lack of specificity in the records.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 03:22 PM   #15
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90

Considering the volume of M cars sold at dealerships are much smaller than the regular cars..small wonder why the SA's do not know enough about ///Ms.

I suggest they start separate ///M dealerships across North America (just like Singapore and Russia).
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 03:30 PM   #16
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
How am I going to "insist"? Records show "1200 mile service" performed on 12/2/11 at service center XXX (aka VPC) with car at 800miles. Who exactly is going to find out what was done to my vehicle above and beyond what the maintenance records show? You think the VPC is going to remember? And how would I even begin tell if they're being truthful or just telling me what I want to hear?

The burden of proof is not with them, and BMW NA is not going to side with you if you insist that one or more of the maintenance items just get redone due to lack of specificity in the records.
Sam, please don't misunderstand me. I meant it is our right that maintenance items are detailed. Perhaps it depends what dealership we are dealing with I don't know. All I know is that when I get my BMW's serviced (This is my 7th BMW) I still own 2 of the 7 one being a 1987 e28 and my 2012 e92 the service invoice itemizes each maintenance as a Job# and material or fluids used (including part numbers) for that particular job. This has been the case for all the invoices I have for my 7 BMW's in the past 24 years.

So all I am saying to you would be make sure you get details on your future service invoices.

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 03:32 PM   #17
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
Considering the volume of M cars sold at dealerships are much smaller than the regular cars..small wonder why the SA's do not know enough about ///Ms.

I suggest they start separate ///M dealerships across North America (just like Singapore and Russia).
I don't think that will happen since the two you are mentioning are generally marketing orientated. Still I agree that each dealership should be well informed what the requirements are for the ///M Division cars.

Then again if there would be one in NY City I would drive down there to get my car serviced

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 03:34 PM   #18
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sam, please don't misunderstand me. I meant it is our right that maintenance items are detailed. Perhaps it depends what dealership we are dealing with I don't know. All I know is that when I get my BMW's serviced (This is my 7th BMW) I still own 2 of the 7 one being a 1987 e28 and my 2012 e92 the service invoice itemizes each maintenance as a Job# and material or fluids used (including part numbers) for that particular job. This has been the case for all the invoices I have for my 7 BMW's in the past 24 years.

So all I am saying to you would be make sure you get details on your future service invoices.
Of course I think it's a good idea for detailed service invoices. I sat in my SA's chair this morning and specifically told him to change the diff fluid along with the oil, for the 1200 mile service. That's when he pointed to his screen that the service was completed already at the VPC. I just have to assume the VPC in Brunswick knows what they're doing. It would be different if my local dealership was going to do it.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 03:41 PM   #19
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Of course I think it's a good idea for detailed service invoices. I sat in my SA's chair this morning and specifically told him to change the diff fluid along with the oil, for the 1200 mile service. That's when he pointed to his screen that the service was completed already at the VPC. I just have to assume the VPC in Brunswick knows what they're doing. It would be different if my local dealership was going to do it.
I think the point by point (Job# for each maintenance task including part numbers or material used) is a standard set by BMW that dealerships must follow. Then on the other-hand there are dealerships and then there are dealerships ...

So Sam my post to you was basically to give you heads up what you should expect in future. Take care.

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 04:05 PM   #20
767IJP
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3

The major problem here is a gross, spectrum wide lack of standardization.

Although I'm new to this forum and BMW I am shocked to see such a constant recurring theme. Some dealers seem to provide adequate service with specific items/part numbers included on invoices, others are totally vague.

Quite obviously there are people on here who truly love their vehicles and might be "over the top" but their passion for their cars bring to light this glaring fault. BMWNA needs to remedy this with transparency. This is a premium product, as such there should be no surprises in a service regimen paid for by the manufacturer. Anything less is a total sham.

I take delivery in May and I find this information totally useful yet at the same time very disconcerting as it does not appear to be an isolated problem but rather systemic.

'67
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 04:44 PM   #21
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 767IJP View Post
The major problem here is a gross, spectrum wide lack of standardization.

Although I'm new to this forum and BMW I am shocked to see such a constant recurring theme. Some dealers seem to provide adequate service with specific items/part numbers included on invoices, others are totally vague.

Quite obviously there are people on here who truly love their vehicles and might be "over the top" but their passion for their cars bring to light this glaring fault. BMWNA needs to remedy this with transparency. This is a premium product, as such there should be no surprises in a service regimen paid for by the manufacturer. Anything less is a total sham.

I take delivery in May and I find this information totally useful yet at the same time very disconcerting as it does not appear to be an isolated problem but rather systemic.

'67
Well put and you hit the nail dead center on the head Bravo ...

The poll result with 18 votes to this point being 50/50 shows this and if I was part of BMW management this 50/50 result would simply not be acceptable.

Thank you!

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 12-28-2011 at 04:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 04:59 PM   #22
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Honestly, I don't think this is a Germany issue, more of a BMWNA issue. It is a lack of knowledge passed to the dealerships and service techs. It is quite clear via the manual that was linked above in black and white what is required at the 1200 service. No if, ands or buts about it. It is this information that is not being adequately transferred to the dealers. The breakdown of information in NA is the cause here.
Appreciate 0