BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

03-20-2011, 05:10 PM   #23
half man half amazin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 430 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelinIsRich08 View Post
I own an X5M and use the M-button about 75% of all drives. I was wondering if there's a such thing as overusing the M button. I never redline the car and rarely exceed 4k rpm, but in M Mode the car just feels and works so much better that if I'm not on it I feel bummed so I just press it. Lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanTheRich View Post
I own an X5M and am constantly in M mode... I don't think it hurts the car which I'm guessing is your question. Maybe the fuel economy gets suckier but that's about it...
Troll alert.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=503938
Wow. You're good, thanks for the heads up. I'm outta this thread. Apparently some people have WAY too much time on their hands.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 06:06 PM   #24
B R A N D X®
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Fast Cars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 997GT3 View Post
....its a performance car so defaulting to lame settings is annoying, and throttle sensitivity doesn't change much.

..........its just stupid.
I don't believe that most performance car owners spend all of their time behind the wheel flogging their car. In fact, the more sane (experienced) drivers will save their flogging for track days while driving conservatively and defensively on public roads.....probably more so than your non-enthusiast.

The ability to change character pretty dramatically with the push of a button is one of the things I like about the M3.

The throttle is actually considerably more sensitive in Sport mode. It's possibly too sensitive when the revs are up in the higher range which is why my M-Mode profile is set to leave the Power setting to Normal. This setting is quite a bit smoother when you're on and off the gas above 5K rpm.

Most of the time I leave my M in the default "M-Key" setting which I have set to EDC-Comfort, DCT-Program 3, DSC-On. These settings work far better while commuting or driving in heavy traffic than the more aggressive settings IMO.

If I turn off a main road on to a twisty back road or approach an on-ramp......I can instantaneously switch to my M-Mode profile so that the chassis and steering tighten up and the stability control changes to MDM. This allows me to better control the car with throttle inputs, counter-steering, etc. without getting hung out by an overly sensitive stability program.

Not only does this feature allow the enthusiast driver to have two individual modes for their own various needs, but it also allows all M3 owners (enthusiast or poser) to tweak their car's most important dynamic parameters so that it is individually tailored to be closer to ideal for his or her circumstances, preferences, abilities etc.....

Far from being "stupid"; it's actually pretty brilliant.
"A toast then: To the BMW M3, the greatest all-around car in the world."
-Arthur St. Antoine, Motor Trend Magazine's Editor at Large

Last edited by B R A N D X®; 03-20-2011 at 07:08 PM..
Appreciate 0