BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - California

11-27-2011, 05:34 PM   #23
taleof2bricks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple88Gold View Post
Pasadena is not a bad choice.

The 110 at night from downtown to Pasadena could be fun I kid I kid

Also check out Bouquet Canyon up in Santa Clarita towards Lancaster..

taleof2bricks, where do you surf?
And while you're at it, take up surfing to complete the LA lifestyle lol
Trestles...of course...
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 05:35 PM   #24
firstkill
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93

for a 25-30 min drive to downtown you have tons of options.

probably best to rent a 1 bedroom aprtment from a corporation and eat cost finding adds of people renting apartments and townhomes can be a pain in the butt

little tokyo is a good place to start thats in downtown.

fk
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 05:51 PM   #25
shiblanor
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 M3 JetBlk DCT

If you're ok with, or hell, even looking for, a more urban feel, I'll second downtown. Could probably find a place where u can walk to work (gasp!) Also nearby, that maybe a bit more Brooklyn/Williamsburg-y, is SilverLake or Los Feliz. Neighborhoody, hipster, good indy bar/restaurant/coffee culture. You could get downtown without taking the freeway if you want/need and they're both cool neighborhoods if that's the vibe you're looking for.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 07:19 PM   #26
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2meg00se View Post
What if I'm driving into downtown during semi-atypical hours? (i.e. into @ 930AM ish out of 8PMish?)
That should be OK, but like other's have said, downtown isn't a bad idea.
Another option is to take the train in. I know people who live 30-40 miles away and take the train to work from the OC. Much better living there iMO- especially if you have kids. MUCH LESS traffic and larger houses/yards. Parking is rarely an issue.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 07:23 PM   #27
Talk2meg00se
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiblanor View Post
If you're ok with, or hell, even looking for, a more urban feel, I'll second downtown. Could probably find a place where u can walk to work (gasp!) Also nearby, that maybe a bit more Brooklyn/Williamsburg-y, is SilverLake or Los Feliz. Neighborhoody, hipster, good indy bar/restaurant/coffee culture. You could get downtown without taking the freeway if you want/need and they're both cool neighborhoods if that's the vibe you're looking for.
is it hipster to the point that they'll hate on yups in M3s?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 07:26 PM   #28
Talk2meg00se
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you're ok with, or hell, even looking for, a more urban feel, I'll second downtown.
I understand the logic in living downtown, but meh - I'm coming from NYC. Call me crazy, but I'm dreaming of suburbia (haha).

Any thoughts on commuting from santa monica to downtown?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 07:44 PM   #29
JusCruzin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 6MT M3

Quote:
I understand the logic in living downtown, but meh - I'm coming from NYC. Call me crazy, but I'm dreaming of suburbia (haha).

I wouldn't live in Santa Monica and work downtown. You'll be dependent on the 10, which can be a nightmare.

Check out Hancock Park or even West Hollywood, which will allow you to avoid the freeways. Your commute would be taking Beverly until it turns into 3rd street and takes you straight into downtown. 30 minutes max.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 08:45 PM   #30
taleof2bricks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Quote:

I had 2 back to back dinners at Ivy at the Shore, both on weeknights. The downtown to Santa Monica portion of my drive took 1 hour on both nights (and I was passing through downtown around 6:15pm). The first dinner was on a Wednesday, and the second, a Monday. I don't imagine the traffic is any better on any other week night.

I am a MT guy, all day long, but I did'nt appreciate the 6MT on those 2 nights!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 10:44 PM   #31
mpbruin108
Mpbruin108
Rep
Drives: I'm a hypermiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyzDad View Post
+1 and the Topanga Canyon pass/ PCH, miss driving through there now that I'm in Cold Cold Canada!
My favorite is the Kanan Rd down to Malibu. Also, right next to Steve Thomas BMW in Camarillo and the outlets near Las Posas rd, there is a street that "supposedly" is never policed and people can go all hell on that street. It is surrounded by farm land and no one is ever around. I've never seen it but people from STBMW has mentioned it to me.

In any case, Pasadena to downtown should take you about 35 minutes going from Pasadena, down through 110S IF you leave early enough. I find ways to navigate through local streets though since I drive from Arcadia/Pasadena down through downtown to Beverly Hills a few mornings a week...usually takes me 55 minutes to 1 hour but its all local.

PM me if you need more short cuts. =) I think I know LA like the back of my hand by now.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 06:58 AM   #32
Talk2meg00se
Captain
United_States
Rep

This is really helpful.

Another question:

Would Vallencia-Downtown commute be suicide? Contemplating stay with friends I know there at least initially but not sure if a good idea.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 10:27 AM   #33
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Haha good question.

My job is downtown; trying to figure out a neighborhood that allows for a 20-25 min commute (pasadena?)
Just about anywhere within that range isn't gonna be a great neighborhood.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 10:29 AM   #34
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
This is really helpful.

Another question:

Would Vallencia-Downtown commute be suicide? Contemplating stay with friends I know there at least initially but not sure if a good idea.
Long distance for sure.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 10:55 AM   #35
shiblanor
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 M3 JetBlk DCT

Quote:
Quote:
is it hipster to the point that they'll hate on yups in M3s?
I'd say no, both areas have kind of been changed a bit by their popularity. ie yuppies have moved in, so I wouldn't say it's militantly hip, heh.

But if you're dreaming of the burbs as you put it, Pasadena does seem like a good place to start. Nearby there is also La Cañada and Montrose, which is above hwy 210, where hwy 2 intersects it. Nice up there, right along the Angeles National Forest. Hiking, mtn biking, camping, twisty drives nearby. I've heard there are some good school districts up there too if you have kids.

Like others have said, going even further out into planned communities will yield even more space and newer and bigger houses/yards, but areas like Valencia or Orange County will almost definitely fall outside of your commute target, even without traffic.

Santa Monica/Venice is great but yah, the commute could be borderline. Tho I've had good and bad traffic from downtown to that area around 7:30pm on weeknights. If traffic is light, it's shockingly easy..like 15 or so miles, all freeway (20 mins?). But that's not usually the case as we all know.

Im not a local but when I moved here I noticed a lot of people here have a cascading series of other routes in their mind. At the first sign of traffic (or better, anticipate it with a traffic app), quickly go to plan B, or C, etc. Someone here was offering to help you with that..good luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 11:44 AM   #36
rhouck
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Quote:
My job is downtown; trying to figure out a neighborhood that allows for a 20-25 min commute (pasadena?)
I am a recent (within the last few months ) east coast->LA transplant as well and went through a similar process (since I work downtown as well).

South Pasadena will get you close, though I think 30-35 min is probably more likely. I would say punch in routes you are considering, click "avoid highways", and then add ~50% to the time for rush hour. That should give you a general sense of far you can live for a short commute (which you'll see isn't that far ).

I would do a test commute from West Hollywood before you look there (as it was mentioned above). And not just at rush hour... getting in and out of that area can be terrible due to a lack of freeway access (and the only real access is the 101 which is a shitshow most of the time).
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 11:46 AM   #37
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhouck View Post
I am a recent (within the last few months ) east coast->LA transplant as well and went through a similar process (since I work downtown as well).

South Pasadena will get you close, though I think 30-35 min is probably more likely. I would say punch in routes you are considering, click "avoid highways", and then add ~50% to the time for rush hour. That should give you a general sense of far you can live for a short commute (which you'll see isn't that far ).

I would do a test commute from West Hollywood before you look there (as it was mentioned above). And not just at rush hour... getting in and out of that area can be terrible due to a lack of freeway access (and the only real access is the 101 which is a shitshow most of the time).
Listen to that ^^^. Miles does not equate to minutes here in CA.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 11:47 AM   #38
Brucewonder
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 yea boi

nothing beats Socal...you'll love it here
      11-28-2011, 01:01 PM   #39
Talk2meg00se
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucewonder View Post
nothing beats Socal...you'll love it here
yeah man, i'm exicted. as mentioned previously, i lived in san diego for 7 years and loved it.

i tried to swing SD but from the career angle it just wasn't happening; the job opportunities in LA, however, are 100x better.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 01:33 PM   #40
Avly
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 16MPG

SM to DT is about 40 min in light traffic which is what you can expect given your commuting times. I commute from SM to DT at around your stated times. You'll do it in 18min without traffic cruising at 80mph.

Let me also add that you would want to work from home whenever the Lakers make the playoffs. Traffic is absolute bullshit, may they never make it again.

Last edited by Avly; 11-28-2011 at 01:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 02:40 PM   #41
xiliy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ride BMC

No Santa Monica(even thought its very nice) and def. no Santa Clarita, traffic will kill you. Pasadena is very nice old area. I dont live there but enjoy going there every once in a while. West Hollywood is nice, many places to go to and Sunset Blvd is minutes away always lots of good looking girls there.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 03:31 PM   #42
AndyzDad
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Quote:
This is really helpful.

Another question:

Valencia to Simi Valley is barely manageable because of traffic around the 5/405/118 triangle, downtown would be suicidal during rush hours. I wouldn't advise it.

Last edited by AndyzDad; 12-15-2011 at 02:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 03:36 PM   #43
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

WESTSIDE!

prepare for some tasty viet coffee shops
      11-28-2011, 03:37 PM   #44
AndyzDad
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpbruin108 View Post
My favorite is the Kanan Rd down to Malibu. Also, right next to Steve Thomas BMW in Camarillo and the outlets near Las Posas rd, there is a street that "supposedly" is never policed and people can go all hell on that street. It is surrounded by farm land and no one is ever around. I've never seen it but people from STBMW has mentioned it to me.

In any case, Pasadena to downtown should take you about 35 minutes going from Pasadena, down through 110S IF you leave early enough. I find ways to navigate through local streets though since I drive from Arcadia/Pasadena down through downtown to Beverly Hills a few mornings a week...usually takes me 55 minutes to 1 hour but its all local.

PM me if you need more short cuts. =) I think I know LA like the back of my hand by now.
You're right.. Kanan Road from the 101 down to Malibu is amazing, especially when I had my manual 350Z, drove that to my surf lessons on Saturday mornings @ 6 AM... good old times!
Appreciate 0