BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

04-15-2010, 08:14 PM   #23
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Any feedback between these two units?

Reverse bleeder:
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...rrivals&page=1

Regular brake bleeder:
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...rrivals&page=1

Isn't there a pressure bleeder too?
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 11:15 PM   #24
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Any feedback between these two units?
You only want to use a reverse bleeder when you screw up and let air into the system, AND can't purged it out with regular bleeding. This rarely happens on vacuum-assisted brake systems, like on most cars.
Only vehicles that might need it are those with servo-assisted brakes (4 independent systems), depending where you suck air. The circuits to the calipers can be bled normally even if you open the wrong line (like I did once - oops), But if you let the reservoirs gulp air, which feed pressure to a special diaphragm that pressurizes the caliper circuits, reverse bleeding is the only way to get them to work again. Many BMW bikes and some MB cars of a few years back have them. My K1200 bike had 11 valves to bleed, so you get the idea how complex the system is. I really liked them since with the brake lever you activated all brakes, but with the pedal just the rear. And all you needed was a finger for a 'panic' stop. They still had great feel IMO, but many purists argued they lacked feedback. Or they were spooked that you needed much heavier pressure without the ignition on. I never had any problems, but just like many things with our M3s, it was an unnecessary complication.

Anyway, I have a bleeder from Griots, but it's the larger one. The little one you linked is enough for the job, however.

And yes, you can reset any maintenance item yourself; do a search on instructions.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 12:28 AM   #25
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

So with the Griot's bleeder, you suck out the fluid from the reseviour to the filter and then refill with fresh stuff? Then bleed from the calipers? Or does someone have to pour in fresh fluid as you're bleeding?

Then with the Motiv, you just pour the brake fluid into the Motiv unit, uncap the brake reseviour and screw it on. Then pressurize and bleed at each caliper into the water bottle? Thanks.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 02:34 AM   #26
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Thanks.
Hey man, before anything else, it seems to me you don't have experience doing this, and I don't want you to have an accident because you did something wrong. Bleeding brakes is easy, but you need to know what you're doing. How about starting a thread in the regional forum and invite to your house other forum members with brake bleeding experience for a 'tech daze'? BMW bikers do this all the time. Say pizza is on you and I bet at least one member will sign up. Just want you safe buddy .

Having said that, you have to watch reservoir fluid level regardless of method, and don't let it get below MIN, which is right at the bottom of the screen insert (nice 'feature'). And no, no need to remove that screen (you'd destroy it anyway).
After you suck all the old fluid you can (down to the MIN level, as mentioned), add new fluid to the top and you can start bleeding from the calipers (RR, RL, FR, FL) by vacuum or pressure while watching fluid level. With the first caliper (RR), suck the reservoir to MIN, close valve, fill it up again, and suck some more before moving on to the next. Reason is first fill-up will have about 1/4 of dirty fluid mixed in. That's why I like to change fluid early, before it's too nasty. I usually change it every year; it's only $10, plus you get to check and clean everything around. Good luck.

Last edited by JCtx; 12-24-2011 at 04:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 01:26 AM   #27
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Cool thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 06:06 PM   #28
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

this post is helpful. ive always been a little scared to do this but will do it myself now. can you confirm its 1/4 inch tubing?

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|

Last edited by 1MOREMOD; 10-01-2011 at 06:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 02:24 PM   #29
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
Great post, how much brake fluid does the system hold?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 11:25 AM   #30
Car54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M-Sport Wagon - EBII

Just read through this DIY.

Brake system holds about 1 liter. That would mean full pads, full reservoir. Remember as your pads wear, the level goes down. If your pads are low, don't add fluid or you'll push it out when you attempt to replace your pads. It's a semi-sealed system.

An alternative to sucking out all of the old fluid from the reservoir is to do one/two dumps down to MIN line at the front left caliper. That way crap doesn't have to get pushed to the back. The front left is a REALLY short run so be ready for a quick flush. Then just start the process and redo the front left.

Also...flush does not mean you should drain your fluid and add more. You never want to empty your system unless you have a flat bed to the dealer lined up. If you know I'm wrong, I'm not talking to you.
      05-09-2012, 02:52 PM   #31
surlynkid
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
Does anyone have verification from a factory service manual that it is the tried and true standard of furthest from the master cylinder and then keep working closer to it? My 2007 Acura TL Type-S has a goofy order that does not follow this, and the front OEM Brembos have two bleeders each. I would never have done any other pattern of bleeding except that I have the Helm factory service manual.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 10:15 PM   #32
Car54
Captain
Rep

I often hear that the bleeding order is not as important as it once was. What order is your Honda?
      05-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #33
schnell325
Bored at work....
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 GTS//2022 M235iGC

So, a question. Would 1 liter of brake fluid be enough to do a SS line swap and fluid flush? Or is that pushing it? (I know it's better to be safe than sorry, but just wondering.....)
Grey Matter:2008 E92 M3:608/425. SG/PS SOLD!
Dark Matter:2015 F80 M3:495/505. SOLD!
Anti Matter :2016 F82 M4 GTS
What next?!? A 2022 M235i GC- I must be getting old
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #34
Car54
Captain
Rep

Buy 2 litres, try not to open the second one but be prepared. There's another variable...if you're going from no brakes to new pads, that's more fluid displacement than what's in the lines. Then I'd say you'd be safe with 1 litre. Also...depending on how fast you work, how you kink your lines, and generally how much fluid you drip out with changing the lines plays.

Get 2 litres and try to store the second one on the shelf. Lasts years on a shelf unopened, I'd only go 6 months once you open it. Leave the lid on as much as possible.

Good luck!
      05-10-2012, 12:46 PM   #35
schnell325
Bored at work....
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 GTS//2022 M235iGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
Buy 2 litres, try not to open the second one but be prepared. There's another variable...if you're going from no brakes to new pads, that's more fluid displacement than what's in the lines. Then I'd say you'd be safe with 1 litre. Also...depending on how fast you work, how you kink your lines, and generally how much fluid you drip out with changing the lines plays.

Get 2 litres and try to store the second one on the shelf. Lasts years on a shelf unopened, I'd only go 6 months once you open it. Leave the lid on as much as possible.

Good luck!

Thanks sir!
Grey Matter:2008 E92 M3:608/425. SG/PS SOLD!
Dark Matter:2015 F80 M3:495/505. SOLD!
Anti Matter :2016 F82 M4 GTS
What next?!? A 2022 M235i GC- I must be getting old
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 01:41 PM   #36
surlynkid
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
I often hear that the bleeding order is not as important as it once was. What order is your Honda?
The Acura TL with Brembos is

Driver Front
Passenger Front
Passenger Rear
Driver Rear

It would be like having the master cylinder above your driver rear tire. It is quite odd.

Additionally, those 4 piston Brembos have an inner and an outer bleeder. You must do outside first and then inside on each of the front wheels.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 09:13 PM   #37
mendez
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3

Hey guys,

Newbie questions:

1. My brake fluid maintenance is due (I believe is every 2 yrs) and the dealer is charging me $200.00, so I decided to buy the bleeder kit from Bavarian Auto. I read that if I flush the system I need to replace all 4 brake pads? My car is showing like 18K left for Front and 28K for Rear...I don't track my car. Do I have to replace my brake pads also??
*I know I have to change the Microfilter everytime y flush the brakes...

2. When I flush my brakes system, I won't get any warning errors (ABS)? Just reset my maintenance warning message?

3.If the master cylinder is located in the Passenger side, I will start the flush process from RR Passenger, RR Driver, FR Passenger and FR Driver?

Thanks alot!
Attached Images

Last edited by mendez; 05-20-2012 at 09:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 11:06 PM   #38
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

you dont need new pads with new fluid. you shouldnt get any warnings. not sure on the location of the master cylinder in our car.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #39
mendez
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
you dont need new pads with new fluid. you shouldnt get any warnings. not sure on the location of the master cylinder in our car.
Yeah doesnt make sence to change the pads. Thanks for your response
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2012, 12:16 AM   #40
Car54
Captain
Rep

Master cylinder is on the drivers side. You'll need to remove the trim panel that houses the micro filters. You don't need to change them just to flush brake fluid. You certainly will get a chance to inspect them.

Looks like a great kit for a great price.
      05-23-2012, 10:57 AM   #41
mendez
Private
Rep

Yeah, The kit should be here today.

Oh ok, so if the master cylinder is in the Driver side I will start with RR Driver side? or RR Passenger side?

Thanks!
Jose

Quote:
Master cylinder is on the drivers side. You'll need to remove the trim panel that houses the micro filters. You don't need to change them just to flush brake fluid. You certainly will get a chance to inspect them.

Looks like a great kit for a great price.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 11:39 AM   #42
Car54
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendez View Post
Yeah, The kit should be here today.

Oh ok, so if the master cylinder is in the Driver side I will start with RR Driver side? or RR Passenger side?

Thanks!
Jose
Personally I start with the drivers front (FL) and get all of the reservoir junk out first, then I bleed RR,RL,FR,FL. Try to get about the same amount per corner, about 1/4 liter. The longer runs of the rear = the extra fluid room in the front calipers.

If you don't already know, brake fluid eats paint. Use water to clean it off spills.

Good luck.
      05-26-2012, 08:17 PM   #43
mendez
Private
Rep

I already did my Brake & Clutch flush ! The Clutch bleeding was a pain in the b.....(first time I tried on my M3)

The car had the OEM Dot 4 (brown), I replaced with super blue dot 4....Now clutch feels a little softer, it's that normal??? Is the super blue brake fluid is thinner???

FYI: I let the clutch bleed for a while and there was no air bubbles..

Last edited by mendez; 05-27-2012 at 02:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 12:01 AM   #44
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
what kind of brake fluid are you guys using?