BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

06-21-2009, 08:35 AM   #1
richardallen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3

Minor Accident

The side fender is slightly chipped. Do I change it or get it knocked back. Can you tell?

Last edited by richardallen; 01-12-2010 at 04:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 08:40 AM   #2
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

It's very hard to tell if it's just a scrape or not from the photos. If it's just a scrape and good body shop should be able to fix it so no one can tell. But one problem with body shops is they usually spray the paint better than the factory and there's less orange peel.
      06-21-2009, 08:56 AM   #3
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Man, that looks pretty bad.

Take it to a body shop, and ask if they can fix it 100% all the way like brand new. If they can, get their price. Also, get a price for a new bumper from your BMW dealer. Compare the prices and options to see which will work best for you.

Just remember, minor accidents like this always happen. I would fix it up as soon as you can, or else it can become extremely bothersome (for me it would).
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 10:38 AM   #4
jml
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M, GT3RS, GT4

That's nothing. All of those parts are easily replaceable. Don't even sweat it.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 10:44 AM   #5
BMWI6
Major
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 335is

dude, what did you tell your gf?
      06-21-2009, 10:53 AM   #6
richardallen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
It's very hard to tell if it's just a scrape or not from the photos. If it's just a scrape and good body shop should be able to fix it so no one can tell. But one problem with body shops is they usually spray the paint better than the factory and there's less orange peel.
there are some crumbling. if they fix it. you can tell from the back when they remove the bumper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
Man, that looks pretty bad.

Take it to a body shop, and ask if they can fix it 100% all the way like brand new. If they can, get their price. Also, get a price for a new bumper from your BMW dealer. Compare the prices and options to see which will work best for you.

Just remember, minor accidents like this always happen. I would fix it up as soon as you can, or else it can become extremely bothersome (for me it would).
it does bother me but what bothers me more is that if i replace those parts, would anyone notice? also would the shop do a good job with fitting the bumper and not break clips (my golf GTI has a few clips broken when i sprayed the bumper lip black, as my GTi was the first few in my area). i don't think shops my area has done many M3s. normal 3 series yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWI6 View Post
dude, what did you tell your gf?
i was in a good mood... so i took it calmly... and i should have started it myself
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 11:36 AM   #7
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Several comments:
- I sense a new GF (who can drive stick) in the near future .
- Why didn't we get front park distance in the US?
- With this post, you just let the world know you hit your car buddy ; no sense in hiding that, as any enthusiast (most llikely buyers of your car) will be able to tell the different paint, even if color is identically matched (very hard), no way in the world to identically match the 'orange peel' (impossible). So you might as well do the best job possible, check the suspension alignment, and disclose it at selling. Much better than lying IMO, and just print the pictures above so you can show future buyers it wasn't a big deal at all. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 11:57 AM   #8
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Oh man, that is some bad luck.

People seem to have very strong opinions both ways on this, but this is one reason why I always leave a car with a manual out of gear with parking brake on when I turn off the engine. Well, unless I am on a hill with no curb to crub the wheel toward, then I make the exception. I just don't trust myself or whoever else to remember to pull it out of gear before letting out the clutch. Its easy to get distracted for a split second and them - BOOM - into the garage wall, or a parked car, or a post as in your case.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 12:06 PM   #9
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Oh man, that is some bad luck.

People seem to have very strong opinions both ways on this, but this is one reason why I always leave a car with a manual out of gear with parking brake on when I turn off the engine. Well, unless I am on a hill with no curb to crub the wheel toward, then I make the exception. I just don't trust myself or whoever else to remember to pull it out of gear before letting out the clutch. Its easy to get distracted for a split second and them - BOOM - into the garage wall, or a parked car, or a post as in your case.
Your post reminds of the fact that the car won't start without the clutch being pushed all the way down. So there already is some kind of protection. This being said, it won't avoid what seems to have happened in the OP's case: Starting the car and then letting the clutch go. Best of luck on the repair.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 12:26 PM   #10
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
Your post reminds of the fact that the car won't start without the clutch being pushed all the way down. So there already is some kind of protection. This being said, it won't avoid what seems to have happened in the OP's case: Starting the car and then letting the clutch go. Best of luck on the repair.
Yep, all true south. People who drive automatics aren't used to having to shift before removing their foot off the particular pedal that is required to push before the engine will turnover. Granted that pedal happens to be the clutch in a manual instead of the brake like in an auto or DCT, but the process itself feels similar (opposite foot though, of course). And it is could be easy to forget (or just not know) to make sure the car is out of gear if you aren't going to immediately take off.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 02:14 PM   #11
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
Your post reminds of the fact that the car won't start without the clutch being pushed all the way down. So there already is some kind of protection.
Before anything, I don't know why people call that feature 'protection'; that's crap IMO. Cranking the car in gear does a lot less damage with a jolt than releasing clutch in 1st gear at high idle (obviously without 'self-cranking'. More on that below). That, and the inconvenience of having to jump into the car to warm up the engine in winter is why I bypass the clutch interlock switch in all my manual cars (except this one). You can never make a manual car idiot-proof, period; you have to know what you're doing. Plus another VERY IMPORTANT point, that I'm sure the OP overlooked as well: YOU SHOULD ALWAYS HAVE THE PARKING BRAKE ENGAGED WHEN STOPPED. That would have stalled the car immediately, rather than slamming it against that pillar. Live and learn; we all (usually) learn the hard way .

Finally, I didn't bypass the clutch switch on this car because of all the electronic crap involved: first of all, I'd lose the 'acc' and 'ON' switch functions, as if car senses clutch depressed it just starts. Second, the ECU controls the cranking, not our fingers, so if it was attempted to crank in gear, besides blowing a fuse, it could damage the ECU. And finally, it'd disable 'hill assist', or worse, not release the brakes until the 2-sec limit after releasing the brake pedal... every freaking time you stop. So it's staying stock, but always in N and with the parking brake ON. Good day.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 02:29 PM   #12
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardallen View Post
there are some crumbling. if they fix it. you can tell from the back when they remove the bumper?

it does bother me but what bothers me more is that if i replace those parts, would anyone notice? also would the shop do a good job with fitting the bumper and not break clips (my golf GTI has a few clips broken when i sprayed the bumper lip black, as my GTi was the first few in my area). i don't think shops my area has done many M3s. normal 3 series yes.

i was in a good mood... so i took it calmly... and i should have started it myself
Just take it to the body shop that your BMW dealer recommends. It's gonna cost you, and I guess you may have to shop around for the best price and for someone who will uses genuine OEM M3 parts.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 02:45 PM   #13
Locksmythe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3 AW/FR

If you aren't making an insurance claim you can of course demand that they use whatever parts you specify. You can actually do that with insurance, too, but it isn't fully covered.

Ask in your local forum what shops are recommended. Try your local BMWCCA chapter for advice, too.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 03:08 PM   #14
10M3MAN
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Nissan Altima SER

Sorry to see and hear that. GL getting everything fixed, doesn't look to bad though so you should be good.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 04:01 PM   #15
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardallen View Post
I was sweaty from cleaning the car so I got my girlfriend to start the car. She can't really drive a stick so she didn't check that the gear was freed. I too forgot to tell her to free the gear. The car obviously jumped forward after she started the car. It hit a pillar. The tyre hitting the pillar killed the engine. I parked the car about 1-2meters from the pillar.

My question are

1. Is tyre or suspension or arm damaged in anyway? I drove it. It was fine under hard acceleration.

2. Do I replace the entire front bumper? If I do not want others (when I'm selling) to know there was a respray and hit? Would they know the bumper has been replace? I wouldn't be going to the BMW as they might keep a record of the replacement of bumper.

3. The side fender is slightly chipped. Do I change it or get it knocked back. Can you tell?

Appreciate any help at all.

Cheers!
get rid of her
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 04:01 PM   #16
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

get rid of her
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 05:09 PM   #17
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, MW, ZCP, 6MT

Cardinal sin leaving a car in gear when you switch off. It is just asking for this to happen.

BMW mechanics do it with the Driver Training cars at the Nordschleife overnight before the punters get in for the first start-up of the day. I cannot understand why - at least on flat ground anyway.

No way should the GF get the blame....
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 10:48 PM   #18
Noodlefoxes
Your Father
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
YOU SHOULD ALWAYS HAVE THE PARKING BRAKE ENGAGED WHEN STOPPED. That would have stalled the car immediately, rather than slamming it against that pillar.
False.

This exact same thing happened to me (girlfriend and everything) but my parking brake was on, and it jumped enough to crunch on a tow hitch...

'08 E92 M3- MR- Tubi Style Exhaust- HRE P90 19's Powder Coated Black
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 11:23 PM   #19
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodlefoxes View Post
False.
This exact same thing happened to me (girlfriend and everything) but my parking brake was on, and it jumped enough to crunch on a tow hitch...
Guess you didn't eat your Wheaties that morning . Well set the car barely moves. On the bright side, lightly set is better than no parking brake at all. But it's still best to leave it in N .Take care.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2009, 12:41 AM   #20
endofanera7
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 JB E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyd1961 View Post
get rid of her
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyd1961 View Post
get rid of her
double post n00b
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2009, 01:01 AM   #21
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrupt23jj View Post
I must have gotten my wheaties from the same store. Happened on my dc5 type-s EVEN with the parking brake engaged. Must have been vtec kicking in.
Most people only engage the parking brake just enough for the car not to roll, and that is not going to stop it from rolling forward if clutch is dumped... but it helps.
Bottom line is not checking that your car is in gear before dumping the clutch qualifies you as a/an (insert our preferred demeaning word here ), so don't turn the blame on the parking brake. I just want newbies to add another layer of protection, especially when others drive their cars. But if N is selected, NOTHING is going to happen. Signing off this thread as I have nothing else to contribute. Take care.

Last edited by JCtx; 06-22-2009 at 01:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2009, 01:11 AM   #22
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

The bumper looks like it's finished to me.
Appreciate 0