BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes

BPM

03-16-2014, 08:27 PM   #1
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
Help Opening headlights

I was thinking of doing the OSS rings on my car. I could send the lights out, and I may still do that, but I am wondering if anyone has done this in the Chicago area and could help me try a DIY.
      03-16-2014, 10:15 PM   #2
IzzyGray
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

I did a similar mod to my MINI headlights, which is basically the same mod. I didn't bake it, instead using a heat gun and a thin flathead, working around it. It can be messy but I feel its safer than baking my whole headlight.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 09:22 AM   #3
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IzzyGray View Post
I did a similar mod to my MINI headlights, which is basically the same mod. I didn't bake it, instead using a heat gun and a thin flathead, working around it. It can be messy but I feel its safer than baking my whole headlight.
yeah i dont know if I feel good about baking my headlights either, I have done many other headlights in the past, but never had the balls to do the m3s. OP if your going to do it I am willing to give you a hand
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 09:34 AM   #4
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
yeah i dont know if I feel good about baking my headlights either, I have done many other headlights in the past, but never had the balls to do the m3s. OP if your going to do it I am willing to give you a hand
Im a bit nervous about this but I like the heat gun idea. Maybe once the weather gets a bit warmer its something we can look at.
      03-17-2014, 10:02 AM   #5
DemolitionJim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 MW M3

i did this with a few sets of STi headlights back when i had mine. It is definitely alot more ballsy to do it with M3 headlights but if you were to try it, i believe the oven was set at 210-215 and they bake about 10-12 minutes, but check them frequently to see if they need to go a little longer or if the sealant is ready early.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 10:15 AM   #6
nicebraces
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E93 M3/'14 Cayenne Turbo S

Honestly, I would just send them out to OSS ... The risk of moisture seeping in after your DIY job and time invested might not be worth it in the end ... Luis@OSSdesigns does great work!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 12:47 PM   #7
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicebraces View Post
Honestly, I would just send them out to OSS ... The risk of moisture seeping in after your DIY job and time invested might not be worth it in the end ... Luis@OSSdesigns does great work!!!
After reading all this I just might do that, how quick is turnaround time?
      03-17-2014, 01:10 PM   #8
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
+1

I did it myself on my Mini headlights and it worked great. I put them in the oven at ~200 for 10-12 minutes. It really isn't as bad as you think. After you do the first one, you realize it's not so scary.

I ended up sending my M3 headlights to Luis @ OSS (and am about to send out my Z4 ones) only because I didn't want to mess with the wiring for the LED angle eyes which is over my head. But if you are just looking to paint them (as I was on the Mini), it's pretty easy to DIY. Search "Joey Mod" for DIYs; its the same procedure with Mini and BMW headlights.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 04:10 PM   #9
nicebraces
///M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staszek
Quote:
After reading all this I just might do that, how quick is turnaround time?
Turn around time is roughly a week, assuming you just want the "basic" mods (ie, angels, black out, amber delete) ... Any further customization will require more time cuz Luis is a 1-man show and has many other simultaneous jobs ... So if this is not your daily, definitely do it exactly the way you want it (totally worth every penny!!) ... Tell him Jeff sent you, best way is to email him: sales@ossdesigns.net ...
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 09:27 PM   #10
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Turn around time is roughly a week, assuming you just want the "basic" mods (ie, angels, black out, amber delete) ... Any further customization will require more time cuz Luis is a 1-man show and has many other simultaneous jobs ... So if this is not your daily, definitely do it exactly the way you want it (totally worth every penny!!) ... Tell him Jeff sent you, best way is to email him: sales@ossdesigns.net ...
If he doesn't respond right away, my tried and true trick is to send him money via PayPal. As soon as you do, he'll get in touch with you and confirm the lights. But don't rush to send them; mine are on their way to him right now!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 09:37 PM   #11
nicebraces
///M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan
Quote:
If he doesn't respond right away, my tried and true trick is to send him money via PayPal. As soon as you do, he'll get in touch with you and confirm the lights. But don't rush to send them; mine are on their way to him right now!
^ +1 ... Hujan's correct ... $$$ talks, but be patient ... Luis is anal in perfecting your headlights, so it's well worth the wait!!!
Appreciate 0