BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

11-10-2015, 08:47 AM   #1
bellnick88
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 Coupe

Mecht Schnell X-Pipe Q?

Morning lads,

Just received my Mecht Schnell X-Pipe in the post and was hoping to install it tonight, it removes the primary and also the secondary cats in the vehicle? (correct me if I am wrong).

My main concern is if it's ok to install without the need to do anything to the ECU? This is ahead of me installing the ESS S/C (being delivered), which upon ordering was asked if I would have other modification so they could alter the tune, one of them being the X-Pipe modification.

So basically, will it damage the engine by installing this part and not flashing the EMS?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 09:13 AM   #2
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG-E92 ESS-650 BPM Tune

Its wont hurt it, you will need a tune to get rid of the check engine light but that will be taken care of with the s/c tune anyway.
With the factory tune the cold start will still be active and it will be loud as a mofo in the mornings.
      11-10-2015, 09:37 AM   #3
Evolve Automotive
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: E46 M3 . E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellnick88 View Post
Morning lads,

Just received my Mecht Schnell X-Pipe in the post and was hoping to install it tonight, it removes the primary and also the secondary cats in the vehicle? (correct me if I am wrong).

My main concern is if it's ok to install without the need to do anything to the ECU? This is ahead of me installing the ESS S/C (being delivered), which upon ordering was asked if I would have other modification so they could alter the tune, one of them being the X-Pipe modification.

So basically, will it damage the engine by installing this part and not flashing the EMS?

Cheers
you will be fine, the car will just throw a code. When you get your S/C you will be all sorted.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 09:38 AM   #4
bellnick88
Enlisted Member
Rep

Awesome! Cheers for the information, I did check the site and it said it would need a flash ( ) to remove the check engine light, just didn't want to install and it ruin something in the old engine.

Looks like I am going to be a busy man tonight!!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 11:11 AM   #5
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Awesome! Cheers for the information, I did check the site and it said it would need a flash ( ) to remove the check engine light, just didn't want to install and it ruin something in the old engine.

Looks like I am going to be a busy man tonight!!
Take the time to drop the front skid plate, makes the collector bolts easy to get to. The xpipe takes no more than 1.5 hrs. Actually pretty easy.
      11-10-2015, 01:51 PM   #6
bellnick88
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki00 View Post
Take the time to drop the front skid plate, makes the collector bolts easy to get to. The xpipe takes no more than 1.5 hrs. Actually pretty easy.
Cheers for the extra information mate, much appreciated!! Hopefully the bolts aren't a nightmare, my last exhaust system (S2000) was a ball ache to remove... it turned to Dremel time!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 02:09 PM   #7
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Cheers for the extra information mate, much appreciated!! Hopefully the bolts aren't a nightmare, my last exhaust system (S2000) was a ball ache to remove... it turned to Dremel time!
No problem, you will need a external Torx socket set. I think it is a T-27, maybe someone could correct me if I am wrong. That is the only special thing you need. Can be picked up at any parts house for cheap.
      11-10-2015, 03:11 PM   #8
bellnick88
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki00 View Post
No problem, you will need a external Torx socket set. I think it is a T-27, maybe someone could correct me if I am wrong. That is the only special thing you need. Can be picked up at any parts house for cheap.
When do you use the female torx socket?? I had a look at the DIY guide and it doesn't appear to have any torx bolt? (going to guess it will be the bolts connecting the cat to the manifold).

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271895
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 05:23 PM   #9
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When do you use the female torx socket?? I had a look at the DIY guide and it doesn't appear to have any torx bolt? (going to guess it will be the bolts connecting the cat to the manifold).

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271895
The flange bolts are 13mm socket from the bottom but the top side of the bolt is the external torx.