BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

BPM

02-02-2011, 10:36 AM   #1
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Heat Shield Materials

Hey guys I'm doing a project for an OEM automotive parts company for school and need your opinions. I can't discuss specifics as the project and designs are confidential but I need opinions on materials, specifically adhesives.

My main design incorporates the ceramic wrap material you put on headers. It will be incased in a corrogated aluminum alloy tube.

I need an adhesive that is flexible, can withstand upto 1100 degrees F (about 300-400 degrees f, continuous), and be relatively cheap...I know.

Can anyone suggest an adhesive or other materials that will be able to reflect/insulate against RADIANT heat?

All of the adhesives I've researched are only good until about 500 degrees F and epoxies are too expensive...however maybe not for mass production.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 11:02 AM   #2
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
asbestos
      02-02-2011, 11:13 AM   #3
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

I can only imagine you've looked at the 3M and the Loctite websites? If not I'd start there... especially 3M, they've got aheasives for everything.

You are obviously looking for a ton of it (in it's practical application anyway), but if you need a price for a tube to kind of infer what things costs you can check out www.rshughes.com. I buy lots of Loctite and 3M stuff from them and they are legit. Not "assembly line" ammounts, but I'm certainly more than what you'd call a casual adheasive buyer. LOL.

Other than that I've got nothing.

G/L
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 12:10 PM   #4
aut0sh0cker
meh
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997.2 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
I can only imagine you've looked at the 3M and the Loctite websites? If not I'd start there... especially 3M, they've got aheasives for everything.
Do this. Call or email around and see if you can talk to an engineer, not just some tech support guy.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 08:54 AM   #5
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by solefald View Post
asbestos
Haha I considered that but I would like a material that isn't as much of a health hazard. Thanks though.

Quote:

You are obviously looking for a ton of it (in it's practical application anyway), but if you need a price for a tube to kind of infer what things costs you can check out www.rshughes.com. I buy lots of Loctite and 3M stuff from them and they are legit. Not "assembly line" ammounts, but I'm certainly more than what you'd call a casual adheasive buyer. LOL.

Other than that I've got nothing.

G/L
Yea ive looked at thier site (3M/Loctite) but haven't called them yet. They have sooooo many adhesives lol. I've been trying smaller companies first because I feel like it's less likely to infringe on someone's patent. This needs to be as original as possible. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aut0sh0cker View Post
Do this. Call or email around and see if you can talk to an engineer, not just some tech support guy.
Yea I usually get directed to them. As soon as I ask a question, the first persons like uhhh let me put someone else on the line haha. Thanks for the tip.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 08:58 AM   #6
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

I'd honestly still call RSHughes... their people are super knowledgeable about what they sell. Maybe they can turn you on to another company that might be more of a fit.

Worth a shot.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 11:51 AM   #7
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
I'd honestly still call RSHughes... their people are super knowledgeable about what they sell. Maybe they can turn you on to another company that might be more of a fit.

Worth a shot.
Yea I'm going to try get in touch with then after class today.
Appreciate 0