BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

05-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #1
Someone?
Perception is King
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Carbon fiber rear wing install< what to use

I was wondering what you guys use to install your Carbon Fiber rear wing (CF Style ) And front Carbon Splitters with.
From what Ive read and heard that Betalink stuff is nasty, so is that what has to be used or do you guys use 3M industrial strength double sided tape or something else.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks guys

Edited cause i put GTS instead of CF Style,lol

Last edited by Someone?; 05-20-2013 at 01:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
///Montreal3
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E92 M3

I assume you're talking about the BMW Performance CF spoiler. I can't imagine someone affixing the GTS wing with 3M lol.

When it comes to the spoiler, most people either use Betalink or 3M. The Betalink can get messy if you're too liberal with it, and you have to be diligent about cleaning up the excess before it dries. Once it's dry, it's not going anywhere; you'll break the spoiler before you break the bond.

Plenty of folks use 3M as well and swear by it. It's obviously not messy at all, but I would venture a guess that it's not as strong as the Betalink. That being said, I can't recall anyone ever blaming 3M for a spoiler that came off.

You can't go wrong using either one, unless you're actually talking about the GTS wing, which needs to be bolted to the trunk.

Good luck with the install!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 12:53 PM   #3
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Montreal3 View Post
I assume you're talking about the BMW Performance CF spoiler. I can't imagine someone affixing the GTS wing with 3M lol.

When it comes to the spoiler, most people either use Betalink or 3M.

hahahah i was like WTF... 3M? thats one strong ass tape... haha jk op

but yea some had good experience with just using 3M tape and some dont... I remember one member used 3M and flew on the freeway... and that was a real one... meaning shit cost a lot..

use betalink.. just dont use too much... its not hard to do it but thats if you know how to handle betalink...

if your going to use a 3m tape remember there is 2 types both are the same color the black and red. but the package will state how many pounds it can hold. get the 20 pounds one.
      05-20-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
Someone?
Perception is King
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Nope i meant the CF spoiler, sorry, im new to the M, but yah i would rather not use that Betalink stuff from what ive read, so is there a specific 3M product that should be used?

And do you use the same stuff for the Carbon front diffusers? Thanks again

EDIT= Posted before i saw above post.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 09:59 AM   #5
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
3M tape will work just fine for both. You'll probably want to find a local bodyshop or supply store to get it from.
Appreciate 0