BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

02-23-2015, 12:31 AM   #23
991brothers
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT3 RS

You can always make money, but you can never buy time. Use it well Curt. Enjoy your hobby and at the same time your family. As I get older, I realize how much more family and friends mean to me then some car meets. Every once in awhile its fun. But I havent been to one in a long time because they tend to get pretty boring after 30 mins for some reason to me.

I want to add that mods are definitely fun and really do express who you are in a way. You have a good point that you can always sell the parts. Thats why I never worry about expensive but quality products/mods for our cars.
2022 BMW M5 Competition - 2016 GT3 RS UltraViolet -2018 GT3 Chalk - 2016 GT3 Lava - 2015 GT3 Guards Red - 2018 Audi RS7 - 2016 F80 M3 - 2015 GT3 Black - 2015 GT3 Carrara White - 2016 991.1 GTS - 2012 997.2 GTS Cabriolet - 2011 E92 M3 - 2006 E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 05:17 AM   #24
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt2000 View Post
I was doing some thinking today about my expensive hobby/sickness (depending on who you talk to) of modifying cars and started to wonder if there were others like me out there. The thread title suggests that we all have to sacrifice something to own/modify our cars weather it be money, time, or relationships. For me its been a little bit of all those things over the years.

When I first started modding in College (Honda S2000), it came at great impact on my monthly budget, to the tune of probably 25-50% or more of my money. The priority was rent, car parts, girl friend, beer, food. Needless to say I ate a lot of ramen in those days. Luckily for me I had a surplus of time to spend working on cars and going to meets/events or just taking a few hours to go out and drive for no other reason than enjoying the experience. It was all worth it because my car was an expression of my identity and driving/working on her was like therapy and one of my favorite things to do.

After college when I started making a lot more money, I began dropping a lot more cash on my cars in the form of purchasing BMWs and their parts, now being forced to pay that pesky BMW tax. My budget was easily able to maintain a nice standard of living but the car payment and parts ate up pretty much everything I should have been saving for retirement. With less time/energy due to a demanding career, I found myself attending fewer and fewer meets which were now populated with people who seemed to just get younger and younger to me. So my attendance at small night time meets waned in favor of HPDEs and large weekend shows/events. Of course with a Fiancé who didn't quite appreciate all day sitting around in a parking lot or watching cars go around a track I had to split my time between woman and car.

Now that I've reached a more mature stage in life I am able to meet retirement goals as well as purchase high end parts for my cars but the real constraint is time. With a wife and children my availability to go to local night time meets is pretty much non existent with the opportunity to steal away for a weekend few and far between and the source of much negotiation! I often think about what I would do with the extra cash and cant really think of anything besides stowing it away for a rainy day.

Compared to other hobbies like Golf, Guns, Traveling I believe that cars is actually inexpensive considering that you can usually see about 60% of your investment back on car parts via selling them on the used market, even more if you buy used to begin with. A car is required for daily use and serves a practical purpose as opposed to any other of the above listed hobbies as well. So all in all my rational is, compared to other things I could be doing for enjoyment, my cars are actually a pretty good investment!

In Summary, I suppose the sacrifices we make are dependent on our stage of life.

College age and below: Money
Young Professional: Time and Money
Established w/family: Time

Thoughts?
I do agree with the bold statement above. Car is cheaper than some of the sports out there. I think I spend about $250+ on just shells and range fee for 60 minutes at a trap range. (~5min/round, 25shots/round).

Having the darn 2door BMW, I am sacrificing comfort for our family. It is not easy to put a kid on a booster seat in E93.
Being said, my kid loves the open top conv. My kid's smile outweighs the the sacrifice.
      02-23-2015, 05:23 AM   #25
NY10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i xdrive Coupe

Nothing. I don't mod my car. I got my 2015 with everything I needed and don't touch it after that.

I also don't soend morenthan I can meet. If can't afford it I don't buy it so I don't have stress or worry and am able to do other things with my life
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 05:53 AM   #26
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

I sacrifice having my own place and not relying on girls to invite me to theirs.
      02-23-2015, 06:18 AM   #27
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

I don't sacrifice anything, I have and get to do just about anything I want, within reason. Then again, I haven't modded a car since my Rsx-S, so I'm not really dumping money into it other than maintenance. Still get to keep my motorcycle, go out to dinner when I want, hit the bars on the weekend, travel, etc.

If I had to make an ACTUAL sacrifice to own the BMW, I would definitely not own it. Probably drive a 97 Civic or something until I could own the BMW without any sacrifice.

I mean, if I could sacrifice a lamb and end up with an M3, I'll go get my pitchfork ready.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 08:04 AM   #28
Curt2000
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '93 Supra Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Curt- let me join you on your ED trip! Lol
Anyone is welcome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFARIOUS View Post
Holy cow, LOL... My only intent was just to say "yeah, I had a GoFundMe going", but got not only ONE, but FOUR people from Bimmerpost to help. I am literally speechless. Thank you all so much, especially since for my own efforts (posting on CL, a fraternity group that I pay membership to be a part of, plus about 15 other etc...), the most I ever got was a question and no donations from people I either don't know at all or have only "met" in this forum; all who have contributed until today were friends and family.

Thanks everyone!
Glad we could help!

Former Car: '16 SUNBURST GOLD F80 ///M3--6MT/Carbon Cloth (ED Thread)
Former Car:'13 SANTORINI BLUE E92///M3--6MT/Speed Cloth/ZCP(ED Thread)
INSTAGRAM:@C2KMotorsports
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 08:40 AM   #29
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadiF82 View Post
You can always make money, but you can never buy time. Use it well Curt. Enjoy your hobby and at the same time your family. As I get older, I realize how much more family and friends mean to me then some car meets. Every once in awhile its fun. But I havent been to one in a long time because they tend to get pretty boring after 30 mins for some reason to me.

I want to add that mods are definitely fun and really do express who you are in a way. You have a good point that you can always sell the parts. Thats why I never worry about expensive but quality products/mods for our cars.
Very well put; I'm the same way. There's a Cars 'n Coffee that I pop into once a month, but I take my little son with me. After about 30 minutes, you've seen it all and I frankly start getting annoyed with all the "car meet people". You know what the type is...

In the end, when I modify a car, I modify it for myself. Not to go show off at a car meet.
Appreciate 2
      02-23-2015, 08:44 AM   #30
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

What did I sacrifice?
Just a goat in the fires of Mt. Doom
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 08:48 AM   #31
bing240sx
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C /// E90 M3 ESS-VT2

probably only thing would be contribution to retirement / speeding up mortgage payments... but that stuff is boring and M3's are not.
      02-23-2015, 09:29 AM   #32
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Anyone is welcome!
Lol Seriously. I've been daydreaming about doing ED again but I'm waiting on the M2 right now. I've thought about posting on the forums to see if I could join any solo traveler on their trip. Obviously I'll pay for my flight, food, and perhaps chip in for accommodation.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 10:26 AM   #33
Curt2000
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadiF82 View Post

Well said, I have a family member with stage 4 terminal cancer and his main advice for anyone is never sacrifice time with your family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPrena View Post
I do agree with the bold statement above. Car is cheaper than some of the sports out there. I think I spend about $250+ on just shells and range fee for 60 minutes at a trap range. (~5min/round, 25shots/round).

Having the darn 2door BMW, I am sacrificing comfort for our family. It is not easy to put a kid on a booster seat in E93.
Being said, my kid loves the open top conv. My kid's smile outweighs the the sacrifice.
Partially why I went for the 4 door F80 instead of the M4. Range time gets really expensive! Especially when I put a few hundred rounds through the AR-15 thats like $5 a minute lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY10 View Post
Nothing. I don't mod my car. I got my 2015 with everything I needed and don't touch it after that.

I also don't soend morenthan I can meet. If can't afford it I don't buy it so I don't have stress or worry and am able to do other things with my life
Sounds like you are immune ot the modding sickness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray_Panther View Post
I sacrifice having my own place and not relying on girls to invite me to theirs.
You got the ride to seal the deal though
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup View Post
I don't sacrifice anything, I have and get to do just about anything I want, within reason. Then again, I haven't modded a car since my Rsx-S, so I'm not really dumping money into it other than maintenance. Still get to keep my motorcycle, go out to dinner when I want, hit the bars on the weekend, travel, etc.

If I had to make an ACTUAL sacrifice to own the BMW, I would definitely not own it. Probably drive a 97 Civic or something until I could own the BMW without any sacrifice.

I mean, if I could sacrifice a lamb and end up with an M3, I'll go get my pitchfork ready.
Living sacrifices and burnt offerings was what I was really talking about in the OP

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 10:43 AM   #34
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Should I post up the video when Santa Claus (in street clothes) cut the head off the turkey in my car port?
Appreciate 2
      02-23-2015, 10:52 AM   #35
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

Instead of driving two commuter cars, my wife and I just decided to buy one nice car and commute together. Extra 30 minutes a day in the car for me but well worth it.

Sacrifice: schedule flexibility

Pros: HOV lane FTW, commuting a TON in a nice car as opposed to an economy car, paying 1 insurance, paying 1 maintenance (still under BMW maintenance!), paying 1 gas , CPO warranty

Overall, I think the time I give up is well worth all of the Pro's.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2015, 01:29 PM   #36
Deep_Blue
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Montego 335i e90

I didnt mod my car until i had it paid off. That saved a lot of stress. Now I mainly do mods as things wear out (just did RB turbos to replace my dying OEMs)
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 01:44 PM   #37
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgviper View Post
Instead of driving two commuter cars, my wife and I just decided to buy one nice car and commute together. Extra 30 minutes a day in the car for me but well worth it.

Sacrifice: schedule flexibility

Pros: HOV lane FTW, commuting a TON in a nice car as opposed to an economy car, paying 1 insurance, paying 1 maintenance (still under BMW maintenance!), paying 1 gas , CPO warranty

Overall, I think the time I give up is well worth all of the Pro's.
Which two cars did you have previously, and what do you have now?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 04:39 PM   #38
Repoman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi R8 V10+

Money saved on gas. And good parking spots right near the front.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 06:51 PM   #39
Curt2000
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Lol Seriously. I've been daydreaming about doing ED again but I'm waiting on the M2 right now. I've thought about posting on the forums to see if I could join any solo traveler on their trip. Obviously I'll pay for my flight, food, and perhaps chip in for accommodation.
Are you good with a camera?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep_Blue View Post
I didnt mod my car until i had it paid off. That saved a lot of stress. Now I mainly do mods as things wear out (just did RB turbos to replace my dying OEMs)
Thats a good philosophy, as parts break replace them with power adders! Probably cheaper than OEM parts in most cases too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repoman View Post
Money saved on gas. And good parking spots right near the front.
Man the E92 M3 is brutal on gas!

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 07:25 PM   #40
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Are you good with a camera?
I am okay/decent. The people on this forum is a lot better than me for sure. Lol
I was half kidding about tagging along though. I'm covering for someone on maternity leave right now so unless she comes back next week, it would be irresponsible to go.

Btw, can you PM me what you got from Steve Thomas BMW please? I'm looking into an M3 (if I can get some positivie equity on my M235i).

Last edited by BMW F22; 02-23-2015 at 10:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 08:09 PM   #41
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Which two cars did you have previously, and what do you have now?
I had a 2008 g37s 6mt and my wife had a 2011 328i xdrive. Traded both in for a 2011 x3 xdrive35i. One of the best decisions I have ever made.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 11:58 PM   #42
jaximointhecut
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

haha only positive sacrifices from how I see it. I'm drinking much less. Don't care for going to bars anymore like previously said in this thread. I'm careful as to how and when I spend my money. Always looking forward to something as well. I'm working full time during my semester off from school so definitely some nice mods to come

Last edited by jaximointhecut; 02-24-2015 at 12:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 08:54 AM   #43
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgviper View Post
I had a 2008 g37s 6mt and my wife had a 2011 328i xdrive. Traded both in for a 2011 x3 xdrive35i. One of the best decisions I have ever made.
If it works only having one car, then why not! And if you really need a second car, I suppose you can always rent one.

My wife and I have three cars, yet we both work from home. If I see how few miles we drive per year, it's silly. My wife bought her 135i with 6K miles on it three years ago. Today, the ticker is barely above 17K. Shame...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 10:14 AM   #44
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
If it works only having one car, then why not! And if you really need a second car, I suppose you can always rent one.

My wife and I have three cars, yet we both work from home. If I see how few miles we drive per year, it's silly. My wife bought her 135i with 6K miles on it three years ago. Today, the ticker is barely above 17K. Shame...
My parents have an extra car (my old car from college). Worst case scenario I borrow that for a day. I think i've had to use it twice.

We bought the x3 at beginning of 09/2014 with 28k miles on it. Just hit 43k last night!!! We drive A LOT, between commuting, starting her business, seeing family, ski trips. Thats why BMW CPO/Maintenance/Wheel&Tire was so important to me. Been a winner so far.
Appreciate 0