BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

EXXEL Distributions

08-08-2012, 04:33 PM   #353
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Been riding nearly 20 years.

This was me back in 1997 on my WW2 era, 1940 ex-British Army BSA WD-M20.

Sold it about 10 years ago and had a complete change of direction and bought a brand new bike, this Ducati Monster M750.

Sadly, my garage was broken into, and the Duc was stolen, so I went bikeless for a few years, before going back to a 'vintage' style of riding and buying a brand new Harley Dyna Superglide Custom.

After 5 and bit years with this, I'm shortly going to be chopping it in, for one of the new Harley Softail Slim's, which will get customised to the 'vintage' look of a Bobber Hydraglide.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #354
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

Dat Blue and White 675 !!!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 07:27 PM   #355
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post

Sold it about 10 years ago and had a complete change of direction and bought a brand new bike, this Ducati Monster M750.

Sadly, my garage was broken into, and the Duc was stolen, so I went bikeless for a few years, before going back to a 'vintage' style of riding and buying a brand new Harley Dyna Superglide Custom.

After 5 and bit years with this, I'm shortly going to be chopping it in, for one of the new Harley Softail Slim's, which will get customised to the 'vintage' look of a Bobber Hydraglide.
The last 2 bikes can get you laid. The first, not so much.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #356
IFX
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e46M/N54

Nice bikes in this thread, would love to someday own one. But as of right now it would be a death sentence for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 12:14 AM   #357
BlackSaphr
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Beautifil bikes! just started riding bought a Ninja 250, slow but fun probably going to go for a Monster 796 next year!

With my buddies Z1000,sry shitty iphone pic
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 02:56 AM   #358
.b0link
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 LMB 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
The last 2 bikes can get you laid. The first, not so much.
Dont know what your talking about.

A vintage BSA will always get more attention than some run of the mill Harley.
      08-09-2012, 09:04 AM   #359
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital.James View Post
If you own a S1000RR and can't scrub off your chicken strips then you're a squid. You bought the bike to show off, plain and simple. You don't learn how to ride on a S1000RR. Nobody teaches someone to ride on that bike

Riding within their comfort level is one thing, but buying a 172hp liter bike is certainly outside the comfort level of someone who can't scrub off their 2inch chicken strips.

My wife certainly doesnt have poor body position and certainly doesnt have inappropriate lean angles when she rides on the street. Yet she doesnt have no where near the chicken strips those bikes do. Maybe it's because she did her advanced rider training at the track....
I am by no means a "Squid". I bought my S1000RR for many reasons, but none of them were to "Show Off". For the record, I have always been the humble, modest type so it is not my nature to be that guy to brag about what i have or own.

That being said, lets talk about your theory on Chicken Strips. I have been stationed in NC before, so I can understand how driving/riding on those beautiful, smooth, winding, wide open 65-75 MPH roads can encourage someone to burn off their Chicken Strips early in the life of a bike.

Where I live now, the roads are almost always packed with slow moving cars, potholes and drivers who prefer to text, apply makeup, play with their kids in the back seat... i can go on... so the opportunity to burn off Chicken Strips doesn't come as often for me as it does for you.

The point I am trying to make is, there is nothing wrong with getting rid of the Chicken Strips, just don't make a rider feel less that worthy because they might have some. let them burn them off when they are comfortable with doing so. teasing a novice rider about being well, a novice... will only end bad if and when that novice rider succumbs to peer pressure
      08-09-2012, 09:12 AM   #360
puffysheep
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

I highly recommend Ducati Monster 696.
It's very light and easy to maneuver.
It truly is a perfect city bike!
I also bought this bike as my first bike 3 years ago and I never regretted my purchasing decision.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 09:57 AM   #361
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiavelM3 View Post
Love the Diavel! I have the standard red with lots of Carbon Fiber
Hey DiavelM3 - I love your Red/Black Diavel scheme. I think it looks much nicer than the with the silver/stock air scoops. Enjoy that bike, it's a beast!

Since this is a Motorcycle Photos thread ... here are a few more I took of mine last weekend during sunrise.

1 ( I had posted this one previously on the Photography section )

_MG_7069 by ddk632, on Flickr

_MG_7066.jpg by ddk632, on Flickr

_MG_7110.jpg by ddk632, on Flickr

Diavel FTW!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 10:00 AM   #362
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:

I really like the vintage BSA and the Monster you've got there. The HD's never been my thing but I do like V-Rods... There are some guys down here that have the vintage military looking bikes with sidecars, I've seen a few of them over the last few months. I don't know what the make/model(s) are but they look cool!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 10:02 AM   #363
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by .b0link View Post
From men maybe.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 12:12 PM   #364
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GT4, Raptor.2, Tuono 1100F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
I am by no means a "Squid". I bought my S1000RR for many reasons, but none of them were to "Show Off". For the record, I have always been the humble, modest type so it is not my nature to be that guy to brag about what i have or own.

That being said, lets talk about your theory on Chicken Strips. I have been stationed in NC before, so I can understand how driving/riding on those beautiful, smooth, winding, wide open 65-75 MPH roads can encourage someone to burn off their Chicken Strips early in the life of a bike.

Where I live now, the roads are almost always packed with slow moving cars, potholes and drivers who prefer to text, apply makeup, play with their kids in the back seat... i can go on... so the opportunity to burn off Chicken Strips doesn't come as often for me as it does for you.

The point I am trying to make is, there is nothing wrong with getting rid of the Chicken Strips, just don't make a rider feel less that worthy because they might have some. let them burn them off when they are comfortable with doing so. teasing a novice rider about being well, a novice... will only end bad if and when that novice rider succumbs to peer pressure
Haha this one has been beaten to death, so let's just move one
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #365
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

on another note, i live AND work in Harris County, the 3rd biggest county in the nation.

not very many places to go out and work on my chicken strip delete mod lol

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #366
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital.James View Post
Haha this one has been beaten to death, so let's just move one
Sounds good to me... oh BTW, I like your avatar PIC... AIRBORNE ALL THE WAY!! ( me sounding off with a loud and thunderous "AIRBORNE" ) lol
      08-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #367
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by .b0link View Post
Dont know what your talking about.

Yup

The score I can attribute to the bike was:-

BSA = 3
Ducati = 0
Harley = 1

Beezer and Harley attracted the birds, not the Ducati, which only attracted comments from oddly dressed men looking like Power Rangers.....
      08-09-2012, 02:54 PM   #368
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yup

The score I can attribute to the bike was:-

BSA = 3
Ducati = 0
Harley = 1

Beezer and Harley attracted the birds, not the Ducati, which only attracted comments from oddly dressed men looking like Power Rangers.....
That is funny.... and interesting... most Ducati motorcyles I have seen are usually red and or white, which I would imagine the color scheme alone would attract the ladies. Not to mention the make/name of the bike.

Guys like make/names like Ducati, Lamborghini, Ferrari, etc

Ladies like make/names like Gucci, Fendi, Prada, etc

But both genders can appreciate the price tag on any of those things, so I'm a little shocked that the Ducati has a score of 0.
      08-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #369
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
Love this picture. Very nice!

Here is my '08 Raven R6

2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #370
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83 M4

aggh i want a bike! not into the crotch rockets tho.. lookin for a cafe-racer style harley
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 04:36 PM   #371
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
That is funny.... and interesting... most Ducati motorcyles I have seen are usually red and or white, which I would imagine the color scheme alone would attract the ladies. Not to mention the make/name of the bike.

Guys like make/names like Ducati, Lamborghini, Ferrari, etc

Ladies like make/names like Gucci, Fendi, Prada, etc

But both genders can appreciate the price tag on any of those things, so I'm a little shocked that the Ducati has a score of 0.
It's probably a UK-USA divide situation.

Generally, I've found girls/women in the UK are generally a bit 'meh' regarding modern bikes (especially sports bikes which are considered very anti-social in a lot of the UK)......whereas, a vintage bike has that 'Steve McQueen' coolness attraction factor and a Harley is usually all chrome and shiney and with often comes the WOW, you have a Harley response...... and ping goes the nicker elastic. You have to remember that Harley's here in the UK are VERY expensive compared to Jap sportsbikes etc., and even Duc's to a certain extent.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 04:44 PM   #372
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngnastyman View Post
lookin for a cafe-racer style harley
Something like this perhaps.....??

08-09-2012, 04:47 PM   #373
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: N/A

I don't fall for the I work here and stay here so I can't ride competently excuse. No one's saying you should be hooning in the streets or trying to lean it over on stop light turns.

My recommendation do those that are always in heavy traffic/city streets is that you guys google up or look for some local back roads. Try and hit it up and test and check the road. It's all about experimentation. Not everyone can do trackdays with their bike, but do yourself a favour and familiarize yourself with some nice and twisty back roads.

If they are far, maybe go on a day you don't have work and make a day trip out of it. Some of you guys can ride practically year round due to the weather. Make the most of it.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 04:48 PM   #374
.b0link
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 LMB 135i

Quote:
'Steve McQueen' coolness
Did someone say Steve McQueen?

DO WANT!

And honestly I feel like even the females....look for something that stands out as different.

Even a Ducati can easily look like just another crotch rocket in many peoples minds.

Show up on a one-off cafe build...or something really retro vintage, and everyone will be staring....not just those who know bikes.

Look at it like this. I'm in Spain now. BMWs are a dime a dozen. Most Spanish wont give you a second glance. However the guys that brought American Muscle over like Challengers, Camaros, Mustangs, or even like Jeeps....they get stared at, questioned, people want pictures with the cars, girls want to go for rides, etc.