BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

11-06-2009, 09:10 AM   #67
srcstc
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
Are you MT or DCT? I'm MT and it was too low with the shifter there right in front of it to mount like you did. It may be easier to use with DCT
MT. I'm in jersey if you wanna see it in person and try it out.

Rich
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 12:01 AM   #68
abstruse1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3, 6-spd., sport pkg.

Does your 2009 have a CAN bus for its stereo? I assume my 2011 does, but maybe not. Despite all I've read about such installations, I haven't read anything about how easy the electronic hookup is and whether the stg wheel controls still function.

I have a 2011 with what must be the base radio -- no nav, bluetooth, etc. I can fit a double DIN, but just don't know about the electronic part.

Thanx, all.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 09:23 AM   #69
srcstc
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by abstruse1 View Post
Does your 2009 have a CAN bus for its stereo? I assume my 2011 does, but maybe not. Despite all I've read about such installations, I haven't read anything about how easy the electronic hookup is and whether the stg wheel controls still function.

I have a 2011 with what must be the base radio -- no nav, bluetooth, etc. I can fit a double DIN, but just don't know about the electronic part.

Thanx, all.
The electronic part is fairly easy also.
You will lose the steering wheel buttons. This is true for all make/model cars when you add an aftermarket radio. Luckily http://www.pac-audio.com makes an adapter.

Rich
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 11:19 PM   #70
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by srcstc View Post
The electronic part is fairly easy also.
You will lose the steering wheel buttons. This is true for all make/model cars when you add an aftermarket radio. Luckily http://www.pac-audio.com makes an adapter.

Rich
This SWC solution is 10X better than the PAC. No lag, No resistors, its upgradable and is just 10X easier to setup and install.

http://www.axxessinterface.com/steer...ntrol_new.aspx
      06-01-2012, 11:23 PM   #71
the_road_less_traveled
Id rather be boating...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Baja 26 Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
Does it have to be flip out? Can you fit a double DIN instead. I'm sure you'd have to have something fabricated to fit around the double DIN but it seems like you would have enough space there to do it since you don't have iDrive. Most of the newest technology is being put into the double DIN head units so there aren't that many good single DIN flip out models. Kenwood uses Garmin for their nav units and parrot for their bluetooth. Alpine also uses parrot but I don't know who their nav is based off. Eclipse is also supposed to be known for their nav but I don't know who they base it off.
Yeah, dont get a flip out. Thats so Honda racer boy. Alpine and Pioneer make some killer double DIN units with GPS, Bluetooth, steaming audio, Sirius, XM, hell way more than the stock system comes with. I have iDrive, but still want to change it out for a nice aftermarket tough screen like the Pioneer or Alpine. Check them out. You'll be very happy.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 11:29 PM   #72
the_road_less_traveled
Id rather be boating...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Baja 26 Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The other custom job like this in the e90post forum moved the climate controls to the center console (by extending its harness wire by wire) and left the screen alone in the dash in a custom faceplate like yours...
I did the same with a Civic SI I showed years and years ago. Fiberglass interior with glassed gauges, and all the controls were moved to the center console. Open the lid and there was the AC controls!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 02:27 PM   #73
stronghold81
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90

These are some sweet ideas for a hu alternative. Thanks for the awesome ideas, fellas.
Appreciate 0