BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

07-15-2012, 01:51 AM   #45
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARK_M3 View Post
Why do people say that? "Especially the sedan"?

You mean the lighter, stiffer sedan? That one?
Sedan is heavier than the coupe by about 25 pounds.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 05:25 AM   #46
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRV View Post
I am not going to bash you but i will say this. I know how you feel. You know why? The first time i drove an E9X M3 was when I had my 335i and I thought exactly the same thing....whats the big deal with this car? the steering feels better o the 335i, i felt more connected to the ground with it..yadayada. It wasnt until I drove the second time around without any time limit and i got to know the car and knew what to look for when playing with the M settings. Now i drive any car, a Honda, the 335i or the C300 and the M is ahead of the game. While all the other cars feel quick and smooth and handle pretty well, there is something TOTALLY different with the M's driving characteristic. It seems endless and its when you really push it, is when you feel how solid the chassis is, how much more the engine wants to rev without feeling "slow" or "sluggish" from whomping on it. Then theres the handling, once you get the settings you like, it really gives you confidence that the 3 series just cant offer.
i had a 335 and there is no comparison. the M3 is totally superior in every category. the 335 was a fast car right up until that fuel pump went and went and went and went.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 06:48 AM   #47
David 12
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i BSM, M Sport

Urbo73, very well thought out post. I am a very average driver at the track and my Porsche Cayman is a great track car in that it can make an average driver look good.

As you emphasized, the M3 is a great daily driver but does carry some weight.

When I was looking to replace my 335i, I intended to get a 2010 M3 coupe but faced with a close to $1,000 lease payment I decided to shop around. I then test drove the Cayman and got a great deal on it so I became a Porsche owner. The 911 Carrera S that I liked was about $115,000 and I ended getting my Cayman S for about $70,000.

As I think more about it, the Cayman, M3 and of course the 911 are all great cars. If you own one, consider yourself fortunate.

Dave

Former car: 2007 335i. JB3
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 09:08 AM   #48
urbo73
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 12 View Post
Urbo73, very well thought out post. I am a very average driver at the track and my Porsche Cayman is a great track car in that it can make an average driver look good.

As you emphasized, the M3 is a great daily driver but does carry some weight.

When I was looking to replace my 335i, I intended to get a 2010 M3 coupe but faced with a close to $1,000 lease payment I decided to shop around. I then test drove the Cayman and got a great deal on it so I became a Porsche owner. The 911 Carrera S that I liked was about $115,000 and I ended getting my Cayman S for about $70,000.

As I think more about it, the Cayman, M3 and of course the 911 are all great cars. If you own one, consider yourself fortunate.

Dave

Former car: 2007 335i. JB3
The Cayman is a great car - I had one myself when it first came out, before the M3 (along with an old 911 SC). It is also easier to drive than the 911, and that's also why it's an automotive journalist's dream (as seen in magazine reviews, rankings, etc.). The trick is not to get into a bad spin, as the mid-engine design will cause the car to spin on it's mid-axis - something very difficult/almost impossible to recover from. This is why Porsche built in a good amount of understeer in the Cayman/Boxster platforms. They do that even with the 911s, but to a lesser extent (and the rear engine compensates anyways). This understeer however, starts to slow lap times. That's why when I see Cayman on top in the mag reviews, I say - do 10-15 laps! I spoke on that above a bit.

But overall, yes, all are of course good cars, and IMHO, more than most drivers can handle (even if they think otherwise!). I see people talk about 7/10ths, 8/10ths, etc., but am not sure they know what it really means to be even 9/10ths close to the limit. I've driven some gung-ho trackers in my cars and they are surprised the car can do "more". This goes for most cars I've owned and tracked. As such, one should go with the car he/she feels most at ease with. Absolutely the right approach in my mind. Go not with what the mags or forums say (use that as a guideline with a grain of salt), but go with what YOU like and fits your lifestyle. Even if I prefer the 911 over any other street car, it's not the only car I've owned/own and not the be all, end all for everything. Quite impractical at times. I have a VW GTI as my cheap/family/"practical" car now, and I'll be the first to tell you it's a great car that you can really work out - a lot more than people think. In fact, most are surprised when I drive them in how fast and good the car can be.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 09:14 AM   #49
urbo73
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
Sedan is heavier than the coupe by about 25 pounds.
Something like that - negligible. Go with what suits you. In terms of weight/power/speed ratios, sedan vs. coupe vs. carbon fiber roof will have 0 impact on track, never mind the street
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 09:15 AM   #50
urbo73
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyd1961 View Post
i had a 335 and there is no comparison. the M3 is totally superior in every category. the 335 was a fast car right up until that fuel pump went and went and went and went.
No need to put down the 335. I for one think it's better geared for street driving - the majority of what people do.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 01:17 PM   #51
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

OP: You are right, the e9x ///M3 sucks......its overpriced and slow. Why anyone would by one is beyond me. It feels exactly like a 335i, pretty much the same car, except the ///M has no torque, the 335i feels so fast at 2500krpms, while the ///M3 feels so slow at 2500krpms.

BMW screwed the car up, what a waste. Thankfully some people are smart enough to catch onto this scam and not get suckered into buying one.

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 10:41 PM   #52
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

When bringing in my M3 for service, I got a 335is as a loaner car. On the regular roads, it felt great..very peppy (def some turbo lag tho), great torque in any gear, nice exhaust sounds, steering had a nice heavy feel to it vs. the lighter M3 steering, and I was like wow, there really isn't that much of a difference between the 2 cars. Then I took it in the twisty/hilly roads that I normally take my M3 on and the differences became striking. The 335is steering wasn't quick or light enough to negotiate the tight turns and switchbacks and could not build nearly the same speed though the twistys without feeling like I was losing grip (tons of tire squeal whereas the M3 wouldn't break a sweat). It just depends where/ how you drive it..if it's just regular flat streets, highways, a 335 (or is) is an awesome choice. But if you track or enjoy driving hilly/twisty roads, like to "work" an engine/row your own gears, you will appreciate the instant throttle response, precise throttle modulation, quick/high-ratio steering, and physics-defying suspension and feel of the M3. Most standard test drives in many locations won't allow you to really compare the two cars in the way they should be compared.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 07:28 AM   #53
SupremePower3335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 MSport & 2018 X3 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
When bringing in my M3 for service, I got a 335is as a loaner car. On the regular roads, it felt great..very peppy (def some turbo lag tho), great torque in any gear, nice exhaust sounds, steering had a nice heavy feel to it vs. the lighter M3 steering, and I was like wow, there really isn't that much of a difference between the 2 cars. Then I took it in the twisty/hilly roads that I normally take my M3 on and the differences became striking. The 335is steering wasn't quick or light enough to negotiate the tight turns and switchbacks and could not build nearly the same speed though the twistys without feeling like I was losing grip (tons of tire squeal whereas the M3 wouldn't break a sweat). It just depends where/ how you drive it..if it's just regular flat streets, highways, a 335 (or is) is an awesome choice. But if you track or enjoy driving hilly/twisty roads, like to "work" an engine/row your own gears, you will appreciate the instant throttle response, precise throttle modulation, quick/high-ratio steering, and physics-defying suspension and feel of the M3. Most standard test drives in many locations won't allow you to really compare the two cars in the way they should be compared.
Good Post mhabs