BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

10-22-2011, 12:17 PM   #1
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Thumbs up Fabspeed HFC and resonated x pipe mini review

A friend of mine installed this on his car today with the help of Richard from M-world here in the great city of Houston. Big credit goes to Richard, the install went well and everything turned out great.

The car is a 2009 e90 m3 6mt with only an AA green filter for mods. The plan was to install the full Fabspeed setup which was purchased used from another member.

The install was great with minimal fitment issues (always something as expected).

The results are that the car sounds fantastic. The car sounds essentially stock while idling and crusing at any speed. There is a little growl at about 2-3k rpm, but it is not too loud at all (i am very sensitive to overly loud exhausts). When you are on the loud pedal, the car sounds outstanding, screaming to redline. A+ for sound considering the car still has the stock muffler.

The power gains are noticeable in two ways. One, there seems to be a very noticeable bump in low end torque and also feels like max thrust comes in earlier than before. The car also rips to redline more than before, feeling like it has more juice at the top end. Id say the car feels like between 2-3k rpms it has 20+ wtq easy more than stock, and probably at least 15+ wtq more than stock overall. Feels like it has about 15-25whp over stock as well. Very noticeable. As a comparison, the AA filter felt like it added nothing (but still a worthwile mod if you have a dirty oem filter).

Car looks, drives and sounds great. Very pleased with the product, and plan to make no more changes to the exhaust system. Perfect as is.

Name:  stock x pipe.jpg
Views: 812
Size:  138.1 KB

Name:  fabspeed2.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  136.0 KB
      10-23-2011, 12:35 AM   #2
tinpot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

Nice write up I loved the raspy sound when I paired my Fabspeed xpipe w/OEM mufflers.

If you decide to get an aftermarket muffler I know someone that's selling one
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 06:31 PM   #3
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

Thanks for the comments, its great. A CEL did get thrown already though on the car, which is disappointing, but expected nonetheless.

We did get some sound clips, but only have the video files and no way to post them
      10-24-2011, 09:50 PM   #4
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Does it have the O2 extenders?
No check engine light is the main draw to this unit.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 06:23 AM   #5
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

the pic doesn't show extenders
      10-25-2011, 03:31 PM   #6
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
the pic doesn't show extenders
nope, no extenders. before googling them, we didnt know much about them or know to try them....

still disappointing that the car threw the codes. definitely cant pass inspection like this
      10-25-2011, 03:43 PM   #7
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Nice! Thanks for sharing. I am hoping to get just an XPipe for our otherwise stock E90 M3 sometime in the near future.

That's odd that your friend pulled a CEL. Fabspeed advertises that their XPipe with HFC OBDII Compliant and should not pull a CEL.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 03:48 PM   #8
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipm3 View Post
Nice! Thanks for sharing. I am hoping to get just an XPipe for our otherwise stock E90 M3 sometime in the near future.

That's odd that your friend pulled a CEL. Fabspeed advertises that their XPipe with HFC OBDII Compliant and should not pull a CEL.
yea, we sort of knew that this would be a risk from searching the forums, but to have basically driven 30 miles, throw an SES light, clear it, and throw another one in 30 more miles is frustrating.

the previous owner reported no SES light, so it seems that there are many variables involved.

in this case, proper installation is not an issue, the job is very simple
      10-25-2011, 09:49 PM   #9
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

He should ask for the O2 extenders. They basically pull the O2 sensors out of the flow of exhaust a little more. Many have said they work most of the time. You may through a code but it'll clear later.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0