BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

06-12-2013, 08:16 PM   #1
slipaway37
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 ZCP/E92/M3

BBK Question?

Need some advice as to upgrading my current OEM brakes/rotors.
I've had Stoptech and Brembo in the past, and the Stoptech kit fronts squeeled like crazy. The Stoptech rep at Bimmerfest told me that they've corrected this issue, and I must have had an older kit: I had a 2010 kit.
I have noticed that there apears to be many more Brembo BBK owners with the M3 than any other kit.
I am looking for performance as well as cut down the OEM brake dust accumulation; maybe ceramic?
I've also always had cross drilled rotors for asthetics, but is there a performance enhancement for the slotted rotors?
I also am considering custom caliper paint, but have yet to decide on color scheme.
I appreciate any advice, thanks!
      06-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Are you going to track the car? If you're going to track the car, the street pads won't work. The initial bite sucks too compared to the Streetsport pads.
Slotted rotors are considered better if you're going to track because you can develop cracks at the holes with cross drilled rotors. I have no sweeping with my Stoptech kit with Streetsport pads. Brembo tend to run bout $1,300 more.

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 03:31 PM   #3
slipaway37
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Are you going to track the car? If you're going to track the car, the street pads won't work. The initial bite sucks too compared to the Streetsport pads.
Slotted rotors are considered better if you're going to track because you can develop cracks at the holes with cross drilled rotors. I have no sweeping with my Stoptech kit with Streetsport pads. Brembo tend to run bout $1,300 more.

I appreciate the info. I'm going to go with cross drilled rotors and find some ceramic pads.
      06-13-2013, 03:39 PM   #4
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

StopTech has ceramic pads you can request with the kit. The Streetsports are a great compromise for dust, street drivability and track work. IMO.

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 10:05 PM   #5
redline9001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F15 X5, G14 F150

I have stoptech trophies and I have no issues with noise from the brakes. They have been on the car for a couple months. I bought a kit off a guy that never installed them but he had ordered drilled rotors, I wanted slotted. The next set of rotors willed slotted
      06-14-2013, 03:58 PM   #6
sawzall
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Car

Garage List
2012 911S  [10.00]
2011 911 GT3 RS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipaway37 View Post
Need some advice as to upgrading my current OEM brakes/rotors.
I've had Stoptech and Brembo in the past, and the Stoptech kit fronts squeeled like crazy. The Stoptech rep at Bimmerfest told me that they've corrected this issue, and I must have had an older kit: I had a 2010 kit.
I have noticed that there apears to be many more Brembo BBK owners with the M3 than any other kit.
I am looking for performance as well as cut down the OEM brake dust accumulation; maybe ceramic?
I've also always had cross drilled rotors for asthetics, but is there a performance enhancement for the slotted rotors?
I also am considering custom caliper paint, but have yet to decide on color scheme.
I appreciate any advice, thanks!
We installed several StopTech BBK, and never ran into the squealing issue (unless race pads were used). StopTech kits in general are good quality kits, and are among the better engineered systems out there.

Brembo is the heavyweight brand in the brake industry. I believe they show up more because they are a known brand, an OEM for many high end car brands, and put out good quality products. You can't go wrong with a Brembo kit, but StopTech, AP Racing (owned by Brembo) and Alcon also make excellent products.

If you're looking for less dust than OEM, you'll probably want to look at ceramic pads, or something like the Centric PosiQuiet pads.

Cross-drilled rotors allow for more air flow, but they generally don't last as long as slotted rotors. Slotted rotors are designed more for track use as they don't have holes that can lead to pre-mature cracking. From the sounds of what you're looking for, cross-drilled rotors will be just fine. There is no tangible performance difference between cross-drilled or slotted rotors otherwise.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 06:13 PM   #7
slipaway37
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Now I'm leaning toward AP Racing.
      06-17-2013, 09:53 PM   #8
kerkiraios00
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 MW M3

If you don't track your car would it be silly just to get them for the looks?
2018 F80 M3 ZCP Mineral White- Extended Shakir Orange - Full Suntek Ultra Wrapped - ///M Performance Spoiler - RKP Front Lip - RKP Side Skirts - Vorsteiner GTS Diffuser -AA Mid-Pipe-///M performance HAS kit - HRE P101

11 E90 M3 JEREZ BLK METALLIC ZCP SOLD
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #9
HeartMD
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 MW,ZCP E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerkiraios00 View Post
If you don't track your car would it be silly just to get them for the looks?
If you got the dow then more power to you and get what you want. I have been in love with the yellow and red Brembo Calipers for years and have always wanted a pair but have never gotten around to buying them. Ive been to a track twice in 2 years of owning my car and the OEM brakes worked fine for me. However If I were to buy a set of BBKs it would be more for the asthetic aspect rather then the increased breaking performance.
2011.75 E92 MW/BB extended,ZCP,ZP2,ZCV, IPOD,BMW APPS, Heatedseats,6MT, Edition Black Chrome Grills & Side Gills, CF splitters, CF performance spoiler, CF mirror caps, Turner black anodized pedals, Akropovic Evolution exhaust w/CF tips, Still Undecided on tune, AFE Pro5r, AFE intake scoops, LUX H8
2009 E92 JB/Black 335 xdrive (retired)
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 09:46 AM   #10
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

I have APs and to be honest, I initially got them to track more but real life events have moved me away from any descent tracks now

But just because the OEM brakes are ugly, don't discount them as far as performance. Here in the SW (NM) I know a race car driver, I'll keep his name anonymous, drives a E92 M3 with the competition package, mostly his car is stock and he runs stock brakes, with racing pads naturally. He has some of the best times and defeats many other cars/drivers, etc. Races professionally with his M3 at many other events in the SW and kicks ass. And he's running OEM brakes. His brake mods are pads and racing fluid, that's it! He could easily but didn't spend $6 or $8K on a BBK. Just a thought. But BBK sure look a hell of a lot better than OEM and BMW should have produced the car with a BBK IMO.

But non the less, even on spirited drives in the mountians, BBK's show their stuff.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 05:38 PM   #11
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
I have had about 10 different kits for all my cars and rank them as follows for weekend track events and daily driving...

These are my top 5 and yes all of these manufactures now offer a BBK caliper kit for the E92 M3.

1) Brembo (Had on my M3)
2) Endless (Had on my S2000 and NSX)
3) Project Mu (Had on my S2000 and NSX)
4) Alcon (Had on my old M3)
5) AP Racing (Had on my old S2000)

The best bang for your buck and if you are on a budget go with Stoptech.

But honestly if you aren't tracking it, a great set of pads, lines, and fluid will do wonders...

Last edited by Endless619; 06-26-2013 at 04:44 PM..
Appreciate 0