BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

07-28-2016, 01:29 PM   #1
thebrownbomber
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Jerez Black E92 ZCP

Extended Warranty and Extended Maintenance Plan

Hello, m3post-ers

I have decided to go with an extended warranty through USAA to cover the next two years of ownership for a total of 3 before I start looking at leasing an M4. The factory 4 year coverage will expire on 3 Aug, so I will need to pull this trigger within the next week. Open to suggestions about this beforehand, however.

As for the maintenance plan, BMW says its around $3200 for the next 2 years. I have researched and understand it is more cost effective to pay for it up front, but with only 29000 miles (about 8-9K/yr) and not purchasing the car from BMW, I am not familiar with the actual maintenance schedule. The dealership says (approximately once a year) the car will need significant, costly maintenance, and this last time was around $2000 of scheduled preventative work. Estimating the yearly jobs are around the same amount, $3200 would seem like quite a good savings for 2 more of these big jobs. Any insight on this? Would you guys front load the costs, or with my anticipated mileage would you just save for the jobs, knowing when they are coming? I do like the idea of my money in my pocket until necessary, but don't want to get raked over the coals.

Thanks in advance!

Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 01:56 PM   #2
kb9uwu
Supreme Czar
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 M3 6MT (GONE)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrownbomber View Post
Hello, m3post-ers

I have decided to go with an extended warranty through USAA to cover the next two years of ownership for a total of 3 before I start looking at leasing an M4. The factory 4 year coverage will expire on 3 Aug, so I will need to pull this trigger within the next week. Open to suggestions about this beforehand, however.

As for the maintenance plan, BMW says its around $3200 for the next 2 years. I have researched and understand it is more cost effective to pay for it up front, but with only 29000 miles (about 8-9K/yr) and not purchasing the car from BMW, I am not familiar with the actual maintenance schedule. The dealership says (approximately once a year) the car will need significant, costly maintenance, and this last time was around $2000 of scheduled preventative work. Estimating the yearly jobs are around the same amount, $3200 would seem like quite a good savings for 2 more of these big jobs. Any insight on this? Would you guys front load the costs, or with my anticipated mileage would you just save for the jobs, knowing when they are coming? I do like the idea of my money in my pocket until necessary, but don't want to get raked over the coals.

Thanks in advance!

Mike
I'd skip the maintenance plan. Anything and everything from the dealer will be costly and expensive, so they are very right.

my yearly maintenance consists of an oil change ($150) and a good clay bar/wax job.

Every other year I would change the brake/coolant/tranny/diff fluid, this spring that only cost me a few hundred bucks in fluids. Took a few hours in my driveway with one jack and some jack stands. Also air filter. I'm a cheap ass and don't replace the cabin air filter that often.

Every 37k you'll need spark plugs, another couple hundred.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 02:01 PM   #3
bkdore
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i GC

I would pass on the maintenance plan and find a good independent shop or DIY. At that mileage and the amount you drive you are going to get a couple of oil changes, a couple cabin air filter changes, a brake fluid change, a spark plug change, and maybe brake pads. You can get that done at an independent shop for a lot less, and you should probably change your oil more often than BMW recommends. As long as you document all the maintenance was done it won't affect your warranty coverage.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 02:09 PM   #4
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

If maintenance plan includes brake rotors and pads, could be worth it although anything through dealer is overpriced.

Do you have to buy USAA warranty before factory one expires? Does price go up later?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 03:19 PM   #5
joeR6
Rep
Drives: 2004 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro

@thebrownbomber - If it were me I'd skip the maintenance plan and find an independent mechanic. I see you are in TX - here in Austin at least there are a few reputable independent mechanics you can choose from.

I hear USAA is one of the better aftermarket warranty companies (run under Assurant). I have them for car insurance and if/when I buy an E90 M3 will most likely purchase their extended warranty.

The latest quote I got from USAA Comprehensive plan for 2008-2011 M3 (with less than 50k on the odo) was $3,600 for 3 yrs 36k miles. No deductible. Oddly the same pricing applies to the 335i as I was also looking at those.
FYI - I was able to get on the phone with a USAA/Assurant adjuster regarding mods as a lot of the used cars I was looking at had aftermarket exhausts, tunes, coilovers, etc. He basically said aftermarket exhausts, tunes, and oversized wheels will void their warranty. Something to think about before purchasing the extended warranty if you have any modifications on your M3.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 10:23 PM   #6
thebrownbomber
United_States
Rep

thanks guys. I think the warranty will get me the piece of mind should something super costly come up. The BMW warranty was $4700 for another 2 years, so USAA definitely has them beat there. The only mods I've bought for the car are cosmetic.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 12:46 AM   #7
chief
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Melbourne Red M3 Coupe

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.51]
The USAA/Assurant Warranty is very good! I purchased mine back in 2011 for $3000 and have had claims of $30,000, with the biggest and most recent a motor replacement (due to failed fuel injector - hydrolocked the motor). My local dealer handled the warranty claims directly with Assurant making the process very easy.

Here is a link to a thread about the USAA/Assurant extended warranty:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=616510

and a couple of examples: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...4&postcount=16
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 06:33 AM   #8
GLTSRY1905
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief
The USAA/Assurant Warranty is very good! I purchased mine back in 2011 for $3000 and have had claims of $30,000, with the biggest and most recent a motor replacement (due to failed fuel injector - hydrolocked the motor). My local dealer handled the warranty claims directly with Assurant making the process very easy.

Here is a link to a thread about the USAA/Assurant extended warranty:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=616510

and a couple of examples: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...p;postcount=16
Don't you have to have some sort of millitary experience to get USAA?

Or am i terribly misinformed

I'm also in the same boat as OP...
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 10:26 AM   #9
chief
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.51]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLTSRY1905 View Post

Yes. Here is a link to USAA discussing eligibility
https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/g_ol...gibility_index
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 11:23 AM   #10
thebrownbomber
United_States
Rep

Yeah chief I read your thread in depth, good stuff. I will be purchasing this warranty today!

Pretty sure you have to have some kind of service on your record to use United Services Automobile Association.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 03:19 PM   #11
GLTSRY1905
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief
Quote:

Yes. Here is a link to USAA discussing eligibility
https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/g_ol...gibility_index
Well looks like i don't qualify

Is there another warranty you guys would recommend to me?

Heard nothing but great thins about USAA in Bimmerpost but unfortunately i don't qualify
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 06:51 PM   #12
chief
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.51]
Quote:
Well looks like i don't qualify

Is there another warranty you guys would recommend to me?

Heard nothing but great thins about USAA in Bimmerpost but unfortunately i don't qualify
Not sure if you can get a policy direct from Assurant Solutions (the policy provider through USAA) or if they can direct you to another end point provider/vendor, but here is a link to their website: https://www.assurantsolutions.com/in...2c-vsc-t3.html

The other policies I looked at were from Zurich and Fidelity. There are some examples in the thread I shared earlier and you should be able to search the forums here for other examples.
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2016, 06:55 PM   #13
chief
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.51]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrownbomber View Post
Yeah chief I read your thread in depth, good stuff. I will be purchasing this warranty today!

Pretty sure you have to have some kind of service on your record to use United Services Automobile Association.
Good deal! And yes, military service is required once again (there was a brief period that they waived/removed the military requirement).
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 07:00 PM   #14
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
USAA is the best. I knew there was a reason I sacrificed five years of my life
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 1
chief208.00
      07-31-2016, 08:50 PM   #15
USCTROJANSFIGHTON
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car. Vrooom.

USAA is the best

So far my dealer has bill the Assurant/USAA for over 12000.00 in repairs
The AC REPAIR IS FREAKING EXPENSIVE. common fault issue with e9x.
tearing the dash apart.....

Well worth it.
Appreciate 0