BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

03-01-2010, 12:50 AM   #1
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

Traction VS Look??

i will be getting a setup coming this spring, thinking of going with the new Yoko wheels coming out

is there an actual handling advantage to going wider then the stock 245/265 set up or is more for a look??

i know when i went to 245/275 i didn't get a handling advantage over the stock 225/245 on the E46 M3, it was only when i went with the Dinan Wheels and went with the 275/285 set up which at the time was the only wheel that let you go that wide. same with my E39 M5 when i put a 3mm spacer up front i was able to run a rear rim on the front and run 275 all the way around then i felt handling advantage

the more i read on here the only benifit by going wider on the E92 is just for a look. does anyone with exp have a wider set up that actually made it handle better?? please be honest bc i don't want to spend extra on wider tires if it isn't gonna handle any better then the stock 245/265

also if you went wider and had to change offsets please post what offset on the wheel you went with and if you had to use a spacer please post what mm spacer you ran

thanks in advance

H
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 01:21 AM   #2
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

If you want more grip then the type of tire will make a lot more difference than the width of the tire.
      03-01-2010, 01:35 AM   #3
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

that is what i have come to thinking as of late. i have read a great tire that is not as wide can perform better then a wider tire that is not as good

i was thinkiing of going with the Yoko Advan Neovo that everyone is liking. hearing nothing but good things and cheaper then the stock PS2's as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
If you want more grip then the type of tire will make a lot more difference than the width of the tire.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 12:14 PM   #4
Victory Road
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
quote for truth

However, when comparing the same tire, and just going wider, you will have a handling advantage. How much of an advantage, really depends on the track/street and how you drive. Most likely increasing tire size by 20mm won't make too much of a noticeable difference, especially on the street.

One of the big advantages of going to a larger tire is not just increased traction, but better tire temperatures...which obviously won't be noticable on the street. Too big of a tire can actually hurt handling, if the tire can not get up to operating temperature.

But bigger tires do look better...which is half the battle when modding a car
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 03:07 PM   #5
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

^
yeah seems to be more for look then anything with this car
Appreciate 0