BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

01-10-2010, 05:48 PM   #1
bknight
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5M Competition

2010 iDrive navigation wants me to get off at every exit!

Has anyone else with a 2010 model experienced consistent navigation problems whereby the system tells you to take the next exit from an interstate and then just loop around and get right back on the interstate again?

My system does this to me constantly on the NJ Turnpike. For example, I'll be heading south from NYC for a 100+ mile journey on the Turnpike. My navigation will tell me to get off at every exit possible and then, if you look at the map view that shows your route highlighted in white, it just wants you to loop around/do a u-turn and then get right back on the highway. There is no sense to this, and none of the exits present any form of reasonable route alternative. And then it does the same thing coming home going northbound. Had this happen on three trips.

This is happening to me on fast route, efficient route or short route.

I had a 2008 335i before this and the nav system on idrive never did anything like this.

Will be taking it in for 1200 mile service next week anyway and will mention this, but wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 06:33 PM   #2
mazda3ndp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E9x M3

my 08 m3 is fine, my mom has a 09 335i and she complains of similar issues but I never really pay attention because shes not very tech savvy so I chalked it up to her error somehow, maybe I will pay more attention next time she complains
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 06:56 PM   #3
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bknight View Post
Has anyone else with a 2010 model experienced consistent navigation problems whereby the system tells you to take the next exit from an interstate and then just loop around and get right back on the interstate again?

My system does this to me constantly on the NJ Turnpike. For example, I'll be heading south from NYC for a 100+ mile journey on the Turnpike. My navigation will tell me to get off at every exit possible and then, if you look at the map view that shows your route highlighted in white, it just wants you to loop around/do a u-turn and then get right back on the highway. There is no sense to this, and none of the exits present any form of reasonable route alternative. And then it does the same thing coming home going northbound. Had this happen on three trips.

This is happening to me on fast route, efficient route or short route.

I had a 2008 335i before this and the nav system on idrive never did anything like this.

Will be taking it in for 1200 mile service next week anyway and will mention this, but wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Thanks.
Is "Avoid toll roads" selected?
      01-10-2010, 07:32 PM   #4
bknight
Captain
United_States
Rep

^^thanks for both the replies.

i'm going to check whether the avoid toll roads option is selected next time i take the car out (living in manhattan it is garaged a few blocks away and i'm feeling too cold to go out and check it now!). i will report back.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 07:10 AM   #5
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

It could also be an "avoid highway" or "avoid city streets" thing.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 07:14 AM   #6
135iUSN
19 X5 1998 M Roadster
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i Alpine White / Terra

Garage List
1998 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
Sounds like that to me some click box is checked in error.
      01-11-2010, 08:57 PM   #7
bknight
Captain
United_States
Rep

So I went into the car and checked. All the "avoid" options are unchecked, so it is definitely not one of those causing the problem (and a bit of a relief in a way, as I would have felt like a complete fool if that had been the answer!).

Couple of other things to note. Firstly, I programmed in the same route from my garage and used the interactive map to scroll all the way through the highlighted white route. It was not suggesting I do the ridiculous exit, loop around/u-turn, back on the highway thing.

Secondly, I remember yesterday that when I got on the Turnpike, the arrow display was initially showing for me to stay on the Turnpike for 54 miles (which was exactly correct for my route). It's only when it gets near an exit that it gets all excited and suggests I get off the Turnpike and then get back on it again.

I'm concluding for now that this is some sort of bug affecting the NJ Turnpike in particular, since this has not happened for me programming routes on the Long Island Expressway or Garden State Parkway.

I will mention it to the Dealer and post back anything useful I hear.

In the meantime, grateful for any other thoughts people might have. Thanks for the replies above.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 10:56 PM   #8
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So I went into the car and checked. All the "avoid" options are unchecked, so it is definitely not one of those causing the problem (and a bit of a relief in a way, as I would have felt like a complete fool if that had been the answer!).

Couple of other things to note. Firstly, I programmed in the same route from my garage and used the interactive map to scroll all the way through the highlighted white route. It was not suggesting I do the ridiculous exit, loop around/u-turn, back on the highway thing.

Secondly, I remember yesterday that when I got on the Turnpike, the arrow display was initially showing for me to stay on the Turnpike for 54 miles (which was exactly correct for my route). It's only when it gets near an exit that it gets all excited and suggests I get off the Turnpike and then get back on it again.

I'm concluding for now that this is some sort of bug affecting the NJ Turnpike in particular, since this has not happened for me programming routes on the Long Island Expressway or Garden State Parkway.

I will mention it to the Dealer and post back anything useful I hear.

In the meantime, grateful for any other thoughts people might have. Thanks for the replies above.
Is it possible that Dynamic Destination Guidance is selected? It will reroute you based on the traffic ahead but the system will not point out traffic obstructions on the original route.
      01-13-2010, 09:33 AM   #9
bknight
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Rakete View Post
Is it possible that Dynamic Destination Guidance is selected? It will reroute you based on the traffic ahead but the system will not point out traffic obstructions on the original route.
I checked and that also is not selected.

Something is really weird about it - if it was telling me, for example, to take a State route rather than the interstate it would at least make sense on a certain level. But telling me right before an exit to come off and then, on the highlighted white route, showing me I have to loop around the exit roads and re-join the interstate in the same direction, it just seems kind of off! Anyway, will talk to the Dealer and see if there is anything else this could be. Thanks for the replies.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 06:01 PM   #10
koxal
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 LBB F85 X5M

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
i have exactly the same problem and already been to dealer and problem still exists.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 07:32 PM   #11
bknight
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by koxal View Post
i have exactly the same problem and already been to dealer and problem still exists.
hey man, i replied to your PM - the problem still exists. something about the NJ Turnpike doesn't seem to agree with the latest navigation system.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 07:39 PM   #12
koxal
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
hey man, i replied to your PM - the problem still exists. something about the NJ Turnpike doesn't seem to agree with the latest navigation system.
i went to the dealer last week, they reinstalled the navigation software and reset the settings... they said, it should be ok after that but i still experience the same problem...

i really cant rely on my navi anymore and dont know what to do.. i guess, i have to take it to the dealer again but i am not sure if there is anything they can do to fix this problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 12:05 AM   #13
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

You'd better listen to her, or she'll report you to the dealer! Seriously, that's an awful problem to have. Maybe the dealer can downgrade your operating system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 12:09 AM   #14
PIMP "E"
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 2011 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
sense the 11 models are out you should be able to upgrade the hard drive
      02-28-2010, 07:59 AM   #15
koxal
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
My question is, why this is not fixed last week when I was at the dealer for this problem?

I guess, they dont have a new software yet...

or they dont really aware of this problem and god knows how long it will take for them to fix this???
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 09:55 AM   #16
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray

Man your Nav seems to have a mind of it's own. Hope you get it fixed that would bother the living shit out of me.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 07:57 PM   #17
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by koxal View Post
My question is, why this is not fixed last week when I was at the dealer for this problem?

I guess, they dont have a new software yet...

or they dont really aware of this problem and god knows how long it will take for them to fix this???
It may not be a navigation software issue. It sounds like a map data issue and that doesn't come from BMW. I say "map data" because if it doesn't behave this way on any other similar highway and everyone else with the same map data version has the same problem then that likely leaves the navigation system's interpretation of this particular stretch of highway. My guess is that whoever digitized this highway incorrectly flagged the exit/off ramp junctions as having the "mainline" exit causing a rejoin instead of the "mainline" proceeding straight.

You might want to contact Navteq and report the issue and see if others have or they are aware of it.
      02-28-2010, 10:13 PM   #18
koxal
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Rakete View Post
It may not be a navigation software issue. It sounds like a map data issue and that doesn't come from BMW. I say "map data" because if it doesn't behave this way on any other similar highway and everyone else with the same map data version has the same problem then that likely leaves the navigation system's interpretation of this particular stretch of highway. My guess is that whoever digitized this highway incorrectly flagged the exit/off ramp junctions as having the "mainline" exit causing a rejoin instead of the "mainline" proceeding straight.

You might want to contact Navteq and report the issue and see if others have or they are aware of it.
looks like you are right. let me check if navteq had any complains regarding to this problem.. thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 07:16 PM   #19
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Nav systems hate New Jersey. In two different cars, my girlfriend and I both get sent randomly off of the turnpike. It's happened to me in other places, but never as bad as New Jersey. My nav is 2009, btw. I suggest you move.

Just remember, it's free to get into New Jersey, you have to pay to get out.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 08:15 PM   #20
roller
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92

This has happened to me before also. It told me to exit the highway only to make a big detour to get back on the highway. There wasn't even any heavy traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
ain't that the truth.

Last edited by roller; 03-08-2010 at 08:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 08:46 PM   #21
koxal
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
in my sitution, it wants me to get off at every exit...

for example, i am at exit 13 and my destination is at exit 6 on nj turnpike. gps tells me to get off at every exits between 13 and 6. the weird thing is, it then puts me back to turnpike right after every exit.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 01:02 AM   #22
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
Nav systems hate New Jersey. In two different cars, my girlfriend and I both get sent randomly off of the turnpike. It's happened to me in other places, but never as bad as New Jersey. My nav is 2009, btw. I suggest you move.

New York is the same way.

My friend in NY told me that he sold a home in Yonkers, NY and had to pay Yonkers a 1.5% (of the sale price) home transfer fee just for selling a home in Yonkers and not buying another one in that city. For instance, on a home sold for $400,000, the seller would have to pay the city $6,000. Then I believe the county (Westchester) got another 0.5% and then NY State also got 0.4%.

Boy it certainly gets expensive when folks want to move out of NY State.

I guess thats how they make up for their relatively low vehicle registration fees.
Appreciate 0