BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

05-09-2008, 11:29 AM   #1
Ajax-Prime
Hydrocarbon Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: Still waiting on Stuttgart...

Hmmmmm. Water spots

Alright, I have a JB coupe, and a week ago I had the sucker waxed by the people in our office building. They haven't been horrible up to this point, and when I picked it up from that wax, other than noticing that the factory orange peel was a bit more prominent, the car looked fine.

Well, this morning they washed it, and the first thing the lady in charge said to me was that 'you have a finish problem-acid rain or something.' She then pointed out the water spot outlines still visible on finish. She recommended going to the dealership and having them buffed out. Simply rubbing a section of the hood with paste wax didn't remove any of them. Grrr. They wash the cars inside the garage, so it's not that they let it dry out in the sunlight.

While I live in Houston, which isn't the least industrial city on the planet, I'm located out on the West side, far far away from the Urban Cowboy processing plants. I don't know what brand wax the lady was using, but I'll try some Meguires when I get home, and barring that, a clay bar.

This is just more of a heads up post than anything.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 11:43 AM   #2
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

Use a 50-50 mix of water and distilled white vinegar on the spots. When you're done, wax it with your favorite wax and don't let them touch it again.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 11:58 AM   #3
Ajax-Prime
Hydrocarbon Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyB View Post
Use a 50-50 mix of water and distilled white vinegar on the spots. When you're done, wax it with your favorite wax and don't let them touch it again.
Thanks for the tip
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 06:00 PM   #4
Ajax-Prime
Hydrocarbon Man
United_States
Rep

bad bad feeling here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyB View Post
Hmmmm I may have a major problem. Did a test patch on a section of the hood up near an A-pillar; vinegar and water didn't even TOUCH the spots. It looks like they are beneath the clear coat. Even if it was 'acid rain,' I don't see how that would be possible. Curiously, or not, I don't see any of these spots on the cf roof.

Why God, why?

Have a call into my CA, who's off today.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 07:36 PM   #5
rawedge2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 STI - 08 M3

yea i got the same problem.. i tried everything to get them out.. i have them specifically on the deck lid of the trunk.. and they do seem under the clearcoat.. cleaner wax's, polish, clay bar.. the dealer told me to let the car sit in the sun to let the paint dry, which i thought was absolutely rediculous to say... my friend who owns a body shop said i could hit it would 3000 grid sandpaper but its not worth it to me.. they are hard to notice in the direct sun, i see it most under fluorescent lights..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 07:48 PM   #6
darkalley
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Gone- 08 DCT SSII, 2006 SMG
Location: Current: 2014 BMW 4-Series Convert for the fiance w M Package, F150, 06 S2000, 08 911 c4s

maybe clay bar it?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 08:15 PM   #7
kyoshozx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawedge2 View Post
yea i got the same problem.. i tried everything to get them out.. i have them specifically on the deck lid of the trunk.. and they do seem under the clearcoat.. cleaner wax's, polish, clay bar.. the dealer told me to let the car sit in the sun to let the paint dry, which i thought was absolutely rediculous to say... my friend who owns a body shop said i could hit it would 3000 grid sandpaper but its not worth it to me.. they are hard to notice in the direct sun, i see it most under fluorescent lights..
Before you try anything abraisve try a paint cleaner, I've used meguairs in the past and it was able to remove water spots.

Once you have the waterspots off, I would recommend you wax your car to reduce the chances of getting more if you dont keep your car in the garage.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 09:39 PM   #8
1960apache
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 once the dust clears!!

I dont mean to acid rain on your parade. I have had 2 new cars with the same problem. The first time was when I ordered a new Corvette and was so excited from waiting 3 months, that I was naive to why the dealer had the car all shiny and clean sitting out in front of the dealership (in the shade) for delivery!!! The second time was "After" I had the car for awhile. The only cure I found, other than a respray of the clear (an ordeal I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy) is many coats of carnuba wax, also a machine application of Gray 3M Swirl Remover works, but doesnt last long! It sounds silly, but seems to be the least of all the evils. If you wash the car alot that can make it more of a delimma also. I just think that even with todays paints, they still dont seem to be fully cured for a period of time, and always seem to get exposed to some type of corrosive moisture or contamination in the air if they arent kept garaged 24/7. I know people will chime in with recommending the dealer take the car back, replace it, respray it, (wetsanding and polishing can help some, but there is not too much clear coat on production cars) but it is like being a perfectly health person telling someone who has cancer "Geez I feel for you" so forgive me for not taking that hypocritical approach! Having been in your shoes, and probably having my life shortened by 10 years, and many gray hairs from the stress of trying to figure out how to put a square peg in a round hole, lots of good waxing and time seems to be the only cure to diminish it. I love my cars, but I keep things into perspective in the fact that they are basically just an expensive transportation device, and it probably wont be your last new car. And sometimes, the old expression "If it isn't comletely broke, dont try to fix it" you sometimes end up with a worse situation than when you started!
Appreciate 0