BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

12-10-2009, 01:11 AM   #1
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Full Exhaust Systems and Sniff Tests

Hey guys, it has been discussed here and there but never in full detail, but I was wondering how those with full exhaust systems like Akrapovic, Ericsson, AA, etc. are getting around "sniff" tests during emissions testing. Here in PA we have to pass an emissions test each and every year and that test includes a "sniff" test and I can't figure out how anyone in a state with the same testing could have a full exhaust and pass emissions?

I welcome a good discussion on this, with anyone and everyone chiming in.....thanks!

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 01:30 AM   #2
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

There is no exemption for new cars? What a scam.

Even in California new cars are exempt from emissions testing for 4 years.
      12-10-2009, 01:45 AM   #3
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
There is no exemption for new cars? What a scam.

Even in California new cars are exempt from emissions testing for 4 years.
Not a scam, because obviously there is a reason for such tests, if there wasn't you wouldn't think its a scam If there wasn't modding and such I'm sure they wouldn't have it.

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 01:53 AM   #4
noxredna
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 M3, 1M, F10 M5

I have a catless and unresonated x-pipe with remus race at the end..

you just gotta know where to go to get it passed.. But yea - it's definitely annoying that we have to get emissions checked every year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
Not a scam, because obviously there is a reason for such tests, if there wasn't you wouldn't think its a scam If there wasn't modding and such I'm sure they wouldn't have it.

Cheers,
e46e92
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 02:12 AM   #5
Splinter4784
414 little horsies
Armenia
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Just Keep the Stock Exhaust, and when the time comes swap the exhaust to Stock then after ReSwap with the After Market Exhaust

Simple
      12-10-2009, 09:30 AM   #6
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter4784 View Post
Just Keep the Stock Exhaust, and when the time comes swap the exhaust to Stock then after ReSwap with the After Market Exhaust

Simple
Putting a header-back exhaust on a car, then off, then back on is anything but simple, especially if you don't have access to a lift.

Cheers,
e46e92

Last edited by e46e92love; 12-10-2009 at 02:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 11:18 AM   #7
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Hey guys, it has been discussed here and there but never in full detail, but I was wondering how those with full exhaust systems like Akrapovic, Ericsson, AA, etc. are getting around "sniff" tests during emissions testing. Here in PA we have to pass an emissions test each and every year and that test includes a "sniff" test and I can't figure out how anyone in a state with the same testing could have a full exhaust and pass emissions?

I welcome a good discussion on this, with anyone and everyone chiming in.....thanks!

Cheers,
e46e92
There are a couple of ways that my friends have used, but I have not personally. Supposedly there is an exemption if you drive less than 5k a year - not sure if this applies to you. The second is simply knowing someone that will pass it - heh ; )

I had my HFCs put on after my inspection, so I have a year to figure things out. It may still pass with the HFCs - I'm not sure.

I concur that swapping exhausts is not at all simple without a lift.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 01:23 PM   #8
MN M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

The OP's question is a common one for those who swap exhausts. If you have a FULL exhaust system, including HFC's (or a cat delete), you cannot pass an emissions test. It's that simple. All these exhaust systems are labelled "off-road use only" for a reason - they fail EPA tests or were never presented for certification. Simply doing a visual on the car will cause an automatic fail. Just changing a muffler won't be a problem, but going over that will cause a "fail" on any test that is HONESTLY conducted. I agree the test is B.S., but if you live where they have one, you have no reason to complain about failing the test when you modded the car knowing full well it would, in fact, fail.
2009 E92 M3 - Jerez Black/Black w/ black carbon leather interior, 6 spd., Cold, Premium, Technology, 19" OZ Racing wheels (black), iPod/USB. Mods: aPe air filter, Borla exhaust, H&R sport springs, UUC Evo3 SS w/ DSSR, Power Pulley Kit, carbon kidney grills, Vorsteiner front air dam, carbon side gills, smoked side markers
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 01:44 PM   #9
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Honda S2000 TT3

Quote:
Putting a racing back on a car, then off, then back on is anything but simple, especially if you don't access to a lift.

Cheers,
e46e92
I changed my full exhaust out in half a day in my driveway on jackstands by myself. If you are worried about emissions testing move somewhere else or remain stock.
2009 BMW M3 Coupe: Sold e92.ridedomain.com
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 01:52 PM   #10
zamm3k
Bla!
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxredna View Post
I have a catless and unresonated x-pipe with remus race at the end..

you just gotta know where to go to get it passed.. But yea - it's definitely annoying that we have to get emissions checked every year.

How's the sound inside the car? I have an RPi catless X-Pipe ( no primary or secondary cats) and I was thinking of going Remus Race or Sport, still don't know since this is my daily driver.
      12-10-2009, 02:29 PM   #11
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
There are a couple of ways that my friends have used, but I have not personally. Supposedly there is an exemption if you drive less than 5k a year - not sure if this applies to you. The second is simply knowing someone that will pass it - heh ; )

I had my HFCs put on after my inspection, so I have a year to figure things out. It may still pass with the HFCs - I'm not sure.

I concur that swapping exhausts is not at all simple without a lift.
Having friends won't help, even if they are the most senior guys at the DMV, because literally, the computer must sniff, then it sends out to the DMV the information and "walla" the stickers are printed (basic summary). Guess they could sniff someone else's pipes and say they were yours.......but not something I want to get involved with.

Cheers,
e46e92

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 02:31 PM   #12
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
I changed my full exhaust out in half a day in my driveway on jackstands by myself. If you are worried about emissions testing move somewhere else or remain stock.
Thanks for the input, but I already knew those two options, looking to see if anyone had experience with another option I was unaware of.

Cheers,
e46e92

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 03:40 PM   #13
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

I am curious to know too.

In Maryland the tests are performed by state (who actually employ non-state-government workers) run emission testing stations. For new cars they just plug in a harness to the OBD II port and a few minutes later the printer spits out the report. Only cars that don't have the new OBD II port get the rectal exam, er, I mean, sniff test. So, I'm wondering if as long as your ECU is not reporting an emissions failure if this would pass in Maryland?
      12-10-2009, 03:50 PM   #14
Singletrack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Having friends won't help, even if they are the most senior guys at the DMV, because literally, the computer must sniff, then it sends out to the DMV the information and "walla" the stickers are printed (basic summary). Guess they could sniff someone else's pipes and say they were yours.......but not something I want to get involved with.

Cheers,
e46e92
Like I said, I haven't done this personally, but the scenario you outline does not seem that outrageous to me at all : )
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 03:53 PM   #15
Singletrack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN M3 View Post
The OP's question is a common one for those who swap exhausts. If you have a FULL exhaust system, including HFC's (or a cat delete), you cannot pass an emissions test. It's that simple. All these exhaust systems are labelled "off-road use only" for a reason - they fail EPA tests or were never presented for certification. Simply doing a visual on the car will cause an automatic fail. Just changing a muffler won't be a problem, but going over that will cause a "fail" on any test that is HONESTLY conducted. I agree the test is B.S., but if you live where they have one, you have no reason to complain about failing the test when you modded the car knowing full well it would, in fact, fail.
First of all, most places in PA don't care AT ALL what the exhaust system looks like or if it is modified in anyway. They just care if the car passes OBD-II readiness and the sniffer test.

Secondly, this guy is asking for options, not a lecture. What the hell is wrong with people?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 05:00 PM   #16
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

sniff tests are definitely annoying... i am in quebec where they dont conduct sniff tests on cars unless its a really old car and u were asked to get it inspected... i am planning on moving to ontario where they do sniff tests... hence i decided to hold off on the x-pipe and just go with a cat back exhaust for now...

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 09:33 AM   #17
Periokid
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

I may be in the minority here but I don't see why many want to remove the cats and make a smog machine. Between the smell and the pollution, is it really worth it? I am not a crazy tree hugger (hell I drive an M3 LOL) but cars today perform so well, even with emission controls.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 09:49 AM   #18
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red View Post
sniff tests are definitely annoying... i am in quebec where they dont conduct sniff tests on cars unless its a really old car and u were asked to get it inspected... i am planning on moving to ontario where they do sniff tests... hence i decided to hold off on the x-pipe and just go with a cat back exhaust for now...
Yes when you move to Ontario you would have to do the full Smog test on the dyno.Everytime you change an ownership or the vehicle is 5 years old it needs to be tested or if you get checked in a spot test.Taking the cats off in this province is a very dumb idea IMO!

http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/en/air/driveclean/
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 02:43 PM   #19
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periokid View Post
I may be in the minority here but I don't see why many want to remove the cats and make a smog machine. Between the smell and the pollution, is it really worth it? I am not a crazy tree hugger (hell I drive an M3 LOL) but cars today perform so well, even with emission controls.
Good point, and I don't want to do that, but there are systems with HFCs that are not as good as stock, but close, and yet that little difference is enough to throw codes and fail a sniff test

Cheers,
e46e92

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 05:11 PM   #20
Singletrack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good point, and I don't want to do that, but there are systems with HFCs that are not as good as stock, but close, and yet that little difference is enough to throw codes and fail a sniff test

Cheers,
e46e92
How do we know that the fabspeed will fail the sniffer? It may, I'm just unaware of anyone that has actually tried. In the fall I was able to go over 1k miles before I got a code, so that is plenty of time to pass all the readiness tests in the ECU - so the OBD-II will pass. So there is a *chance* that it would pass...maybe? : )
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 08:17 AM   #21
DomsZ06
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z06

If your car is new like others have said you don't get "sniffed" just plugged into your OBD-II.

So as long as your tuner turned the codes off for catless (mine did) you will pass. They may say something about the visiual if they actually look. In my experience you can find the places (like others have said here) that will pass your visiual without saying anything.

In regards to why would you want to run catless it's an HP thing. They restrict HP so if you have mods then you want to remove them so you make even more HP.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 12:22 PM   #22
Singletrack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomsZ06 View Post
If your car is new like others have said you don't get "sniffed" just plugged into your OBD-II.

So as long as your tuner turned the codes off for catless (mine did) you will pass. They may say something about the visiual if they actually look. In my experience you can find the places (like others have said here) that will pass your visiual without saying anything.

In regards to why would you want to run catless it's an HP thing. They restrict HP so if you have mods then you want to remove them so you make even more HP.
That's not true everywhere. In Allegheny County, PA - as an example - I get a printout of the reading the sniffer took and the state limit. They also hook up the OBD and check readiness. The sister county does ZERO emissions testing - no sniffer or OBD. So you really need to figure out what is relevant for your local government. For my local area, my understanding is that you CAN be passed if just the OBD-II comes back clean, but some places do the tailpipe test instead, or in addition. So it may not only vary county to county, but also station to station.

For PA, you'll want to look here:

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/inspections/emissions.shtml

and here:

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/06...hap177toc.html

and call the station to be sure.
Appreciate 0