BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-05-2015, 07:52 PM   #23
xraym5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Gray ZCP E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthretourNAFTW View Post
This is all too true. BMW has been moving down from a high-end cars manufacturer that uses technology to achieve highest quality iconic performance to low-end cars manufacturer using technology for ruthless cost cutting while continuing to charge the same price surfing on the wave of their former legacy. Eventually the market will catch up as more will notice this is not high end quality technology any more, then bmw marketing will adjust by stopping the "M sport" this, "M performance" that bullshit, cut down their profit margin and start branding their cars for what they are : cheaper technology for cheaper manufacturing costs, generic engine blocks instead of highly advanced individual engine blocks (like the S65), second rate cars, nothing iconic anymore. They're basically moving to be the new German cars for the masses, as cheaply built as possible.
We've seen the early results : souped up 4 cylinders turbo crap, 6 cylinders souped up turbo crap (m4 s55), heavily whoring their former M logo to low end models, using the same generic engine block over 13 models from X3 to 735i including the m4. Many enthusiasts are in denial because of their brand loyalty or even "M" logo loyalty. But all that is past history. The turning point was the 2008 crisis. The V8 M3 was the last icon. BMW Motorsport GmbH is not independent, their role more and more is that of a marketing deception tool. As illustrated by m235i owners that think they own a M GmbH vehicle when it's just a BMW GmbH car. The lines are getting more and more blurry.

As a E92 M3 owner this is a disappointment with the brand and as they continue their descent to cheaper technology over quality performance, the brand will become like toyota.
Yup. Exactly why I recently bought an '11 E92 M3 and put in a Dinan stroker instead of getting an M4.

And for that matter the reason I put a Dinan stroker in my E60 M5 instead of buying an F10 M5 years ago.

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 08:15 PM   #24
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbed View Post
While I'm pretty new to BMW I can see how people like us are becoming less important. I call it the smart phone generation. They are what companies are pandering to. There are still a hand full of awesome cars forsale that build cars for us.

911 turbo
Cayman R
Viper
Hellcat (challenger or Charger)
Corvette ZO7
mustang GT350
Camaro z28
Civic type R
Audi R8 : Gallardo
Focus RS and ST.
Fiesta ST (yes it's a hoot!)
Jaguar F-Type R
370z
FRS/BRZ (however they need another 100hp INHOP)

Some cars I left off like the Audi RS5, Cadillac ATS/CTS and Tesla P85D they have become very Tech orintated along with the Mr. Roboto GTR. I could have added more but that is all I could think of at the time of this post. Not all these cars are my cup of tea, however they are all fantastic.

viper, gallardo, z06, and i'm done with cars. true drivers cars, that I should actually be able to get my hands on. i'll have a lexus as a dd. you won't catch me in none of these electronic bullshit cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 09:03 PM   #25
MPowerZ32
Banned
Rep
Drives: Man

The new C63 AMG is kicking S55 M3/M4's ass in reviews. Never thought this day would come... As a diehard BMW enthusiast, I find it hard to defend the M brand among my Audi and Merc friends without sounding in denial. It's very difficult to call a new BMW model the Ultimate Driving Machine these days. I guess they are now "Joy", nothing about them is "Ultimate" anymore.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 12:57 AM   #26
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

This article clearly elaborates on the trend that I have been seeing in the past 5 years or so. I'm currently living in Germany and Bavaria, home of BMW. I see BMW's and Mercedes everywhere. In the states these two brands are the marque European brands and are held on a tier above the domestics and imports from Asia. Here in their home they are just another car. The most common taxi you see here is a E Class wagon, 6MT, with leather that passes almost everything on the beloved autobahn.

I love BMW because of the way they make me feel when I drive them. Lately that feeling has been diluted for the sake of money. You ultimately see on the track which is where motorsport was born. Check this season in DTM for instance. BMW has gotten their ass handed to them by Mercedes and there's no sign of retribution on the horizon unless something changes dramatically.

In the end I will still buy another Bimmer when I return from the motherland. I'm selling my 2013 Mustang GT Track Pack/Recaro car to a German. I traded my C300 Merc 6MT car in for it just before I moved here in 2012. I didn't want to bring a taxi to Germany. Driving the last great Mustang all over Europe has really made me see what driving the last great BMW in the US means. Most people don't get it. Those of us that value how the car makes us feel with every mile do and in the end that's all that matters.

I really hope that the head shed at BMW get it together and remember where they need to stay in order to not lose what loyalist they have left. Because, after all, they don't make money on used cars.
Appreciate 0