BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

08-13-2013, 12:42 AM   #1
R3dn3k Flyby
BigMacs
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5

Garage List
2019 BMW M5  [9.67]
Extended Maintenance Plan - I think I need it, but educate me please.

Bought 2011 M3 yesterday. 49k on clock. Original 4yr/50k has 1yr/1k left. Added 4 year up to 100k mile warranty. At the time of paperwork, passed on the extended maintenance. Today, after getting past the blur of the buying process, I checked the maintenance tracker and it shows rear pads in 8k, front pads in 6k, oil in 8k, etc.

Am I correct in that when the pads are replaced, so are the rotors?

Based on the fact I'd basically have the choice to either have no maintenance, or have 3 years/50k miles of maintenance, I think it makes sense to do it. I'm probably a 12k-13k mile a year driver, but wife and I just moved to AZ, my commute is a bit bigger than it was in WA, and my wife and I plan to take lots of road trips.

According to Carfax, plugs were changed at 27k and it says "brakes replaced" at 27k as well, which seems rather early, unless the original owner was an aggressive driver.

Assuming I nearly hit the 100k mile mark in the next 3 years, good idea to extend the maintenance?

2020 RDX A-Spec : Apex Blue Pearl / Red
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 09:30 AM   #2
R3dn3k Flyby
BigMacs
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M5  [9.67]
Anybody? I've gotta make the decision today to roll it into the loan paperwork.

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #3
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 VW GTI SE

I think your decision has a fair amount to do with how handy you are. I bought an extended warranty for the engine bits when my cars original 4yr/50K mile warranty expired. But I prefer to do my own fluid and other maintenance items, so the maintenance plan didn't make sense for me. I just take my car to my dealer and they reset the counter for that item.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 09:45 AM   #4
R3dn3k Flyby
BigMacs
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M5  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrdrvr View Post
I think your decision has a fair amount to do with how handy you are. I bought an extended warranty for the engine bits when my cars original 4yr/50K mile warranty expired. But I prefer to do my own fluid and other maintenance items, so the maintenance plan didn't make sense for me. I just take my car to my dealer and they reset the counter for that item.
The fortunate thing for me is I work at a large performance distributor/shop, so I have access to a shop 5 days a week and employee pricing on everything. But based on what I was offered the maintenance extension for, I think it'll pay for itself with 1 brake change as long as rotors are changed too, 1 spark plug change, and the oil changes I'll have.

I just haven't found a definitive answer on the brakes. With pads due in the next 8k on all 4 corners, should I except to get rotors as well?

Last edited by R3dn3k Flyby; 09-08-2013 at 08:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #5
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Typically pads and rotors are changed at the same time. I know the original warranty covers brakes but does the extended maintenance cover them too?

You are asking us whether we think its worth it to extend your maintenance without providing any data on the cost. It's like asking whether a car is a good deal without sharing the price.... I generally don't think the extended maintenance is a good value when you have a relationship with a trusted independent shop. Dealer prices and an immediate need for new brakes could change things. FWIW I was able to get my front brakes replaced early due to a slightly warped rotor....
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #6
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 VW GTI SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dn3k Flyby View Post
I just haven't found a definitive answer on the brakes. With pads due in the next 8k on all 4 corners, should I except to get rotors as well?
More often than not, they'll replace the rotors when they change the pads. If they say they won't I would think you could very easily argue it should be done. I've never seen a dealer refuse to replace the pads without also doing the rotors though. Sounds like you have a decision!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 10:42 AM   #7
Xcelrrate
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 ///M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [10.00]
I bought my car almost 3 years ago, 40k miles and I paid to get the car CPO'ed and I extended the maintenance as well, adding well over $8k to the $42k price of my car...

Let me say... i definitely got my $8k worth.. I've in the last 3 years...

- Oil change - ext maint

1. F & R Brakes and rotors replaced at 60k - ext maint
2 F brakes replaced at 66k - ext maint

- Oil change -ext maint

3. Tensioner pulley - CPO,
4 Passenger door lock actuator - CPO
5 Coil #5 replaced - CPO

- Oil change - ext maint

6. JUST last week... I had my TRANSMISSION replaced @ 85k - CPO
7. R brakes & rotors replaced - ext maint

8. i have 4k remanding till my F brakes and rotors are due.

My brake fluid has been flushed 3 times since I've owned the car - ext maint

All in All.. I've been extremely happy with my experience with my CPO coverage and Extended Maintenance plan.

I say GET IT !!

'08 Jerez Black E90 ///M3
Pics of my Ride

Last edited by Xcelrrate; 08-13-2013 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #8
Xcelrrate
Driver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
More often than not, they'll replace the rotors when they change the pads. If they say they won't I would think you could very easily argue it should be done. I've never seen a dealer refuse to replace the pads without also doing the rotors though. Sounds like you have a decision!
With what I've said in my last post of my great experience.

I've argued the fact of putting new pads on older rotors...but they didn't budge saying it wasn't time and blah blah shit was still good and within specs.

I just did harder stops, and voila they replaced it..

FYI
I track my car and I torture my brakes..

Pics of my Ride
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #9
Xcelrrate
Driver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [10.00]
Congrats on your new Ride! and good luck with what ever you decide to do

Pics of my Ride
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 10:55 AM   #10
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Quote:
The fortunate thing for me is I work at Vivid Racing, so I have access to a shop 5 days a week and employee pricing on everything. But based on what I was offered the maintenance extension for, I think it'll pay for itself with 1 brake change as long as rotors are changed too, 1 spark plug change, and the oil changes I'll have.

What price were you offered and for how long (years/miles)? You can easily add up your expected maintenance costs over that period and do the math to see if it makes sense. BMW isn't selling these to lose money, same goes for extended warranty.
      08-13-2013, 10:59 AM   #11
nullrouted
Studying...
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3

If the extended plan extends the "Ultimate Service" plan that new vehicles have, I would say get it. Peace of mind is well worth the money to me.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 10:59 AM   #12
M3ZCP6MT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 381 ///M3

Congratulations on your purchase!

If maintainence plan is less than $3500, I would definitely get it. Properly maintained M3 will last you beyond 100k miles. All the major maintainences are scheduled for 60k miles and beyond. Brake job (replace rotors and pads) alone is over $2000. Unless you have a very good relationship with a BMW independent shop and their work and price are exceptional, I'd get the main. plan

/// M3 + 6MT + ZCP + ///MPE = A Healthy Addiction ///
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 11:53 AM   #13
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
agreed on this as the key decision factor.

Also to answer your question on brakes replaced, my rotors were replace before 30k as well. I've had 3 or so pad changes too by 30k.

If you can change your own fluids, it'll save you a boatload of money and extended maintenance plans will end up costing you more in the long run.

The most maintenance items on a single change event are:
1. brake rotors
2. 6MT fluid (DCT no applicable)
3. rear diff fluid
4. spark plugs

Many independent shops have the tools and software to perform the job as long as you provide the materials and parts.

I vote, don't buy, even with a 12k annual mileage rate, especially if you're handy or you know reputable and cheaper indy shops.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 03:38 PM   #14
davesaddiction
is fast cars
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT SSII BPM Stg II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelrrate View Post
Yikes! What happened?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 03:47 PM   #15
italyix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelrrate View Post

I just had the dealer replace mine as well under CPO in July 2013. Faulty synchros. Car was bought 2 years ago with 52k miles on it.

After extensively reading posts on here and doing some side research, I have come to the conclusion that the oil BMW uses in these transmissions is not adequate and will lead to synchro wear. I am 500 miles away from the 1200 mi break in completion of the tranny, at which point I am switching (and have already bought) to Redline MTL.

OP, extended maintenance is ONLY worth it if you need to replace ur brakes soon. other than that, waste of money. brake job exceeds the cost of the Extended Maintenance.

.02C
      08-13-2013, 05:07 PM   #16
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesaddiction View Post
Yikes! What happened?
perked my ears up too.. I have 6MT!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 08:38 PM   #17
R3dn3k Flyby
BigMacs
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M5  [9.67]
Thanks for the advice everyone!

Brakes are due in roughly 8k, and I'm pretty certain I can drive nearly 50k miles in 3 years with the road trips my wife and I plan on taking, so I'll probably go through at least one more full set of brakes. I don't plan to track the car, but I do enjoy spirited driving.

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 02:34 AM   #18
Xcelrrate
Driver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesaddiction View Post
Yikes! What happened?
2ng gear syncros were beginning to wear. I was aquatinted with the shop forman and he didn't even hesitate to have it replaced at all.
I've only grinded gears twice ever as long as i've owned it, the grinds were experienced about 4k miles ago at 82k mi.. Mind you, I don't slam gears, smooth operator here, best for tracking

Quote:
Originally Posted by italyix View Post
I just had the dealer replace mine as well under CPO in July 2013. Faulty synchros. Car was bought 2 years ago with 52k miles on it.

After extensively reading posts on here and doing some side research, I have come to the conclusion that the oil BMW uses in these transmissions is not adequate and will lead to synchro wear. I am 500 miles away from the 1200 mi break in completion of the tranny, at which point I am switching (and have already bought) to Redline MTL.

OP, extended maintenance is ONLY worth it if you need to replace ur brakes soon. other than that, waste of money. brake job exceeds the cost of the Extended Maintenance.

.02C
Good idea, I'll look into that as well.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
perked my ears up too.. I have 6MT!
Guess we should look into different trans oils... how many miles do you have?

Sorry OP don't meant to Jack ur thread. But it's all good info here.

Pics of my Ride
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 06:53 AM   #19
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Thanks for the advice everyone!

Brakes are due in roughly 8k, and I'm pretty certain I can drive nearly 50k miles in 3 years with the road trips my wife and I plan on taking, so I'll probably go through at least one more full set of brakes. I don't plan to track the car, but I do enjoy spirited driving.
You'd be surprised how long brakes last with just regular street driving. I have about 65k on my original rotors and they are still going strong...
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 03:18 PM   #20
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

60k here on my fronts with a lot of wear left.
      08-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #21
UroGator
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 MR E92 M3 6MT

Does anyone know if the extended maintenance plan is transferrable to another owner?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 07:24 AM   #22
coolcane
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/DCT, Alpine White

Yes it is
Appreciate 0