BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-06-2012, 04:55 PM   #23
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4G63 View Post
I have to agree with clar. Pricing and affordability is the main concern for the vast majority, otherwise, there would be a lot of late model benzes rolling on 24-inch wheels in Oakland, CA.
So then it is safe to assume that the only reason that any of us are on Bimmerpost is because we can't afford a Porsche.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #24
Garissimo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 4 doors, 6 gears, 8 cylinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Same here, very different conclusion.

My 335i was chipped, running on non-runflats but even when stock I thought it positively totally outshines the S4 on the fun quotient.

I don't dispute that the S4 may be more "planted", but it isn't more fun for me. Simply put RWD is where it's at.
Understood. I had the "mediumsauce" Dinan tune on my 335i but never ditched the runflats. A tire upgrade would have improved the ride but not overcome the limitations of the open differential. Don't get me wrong, I'll take the 335i over any FWD car any day of the week. And I could see the 335i being more entertaining on a track (until it overheats). But in the context of street driving, the S4 simply felt more sorted and better able to exploit the available power.
      01-06-2012, 05:56 PM   #25
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Great review! To reiterate, the M3 has the special sauce.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #26
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post
Had an '08 335 I put 36k miles on, got a new M3 two months ago. You're right, the M3 is so much better in every way except gas mileage, hard to believe they are so closely related when you drive one.
The *35i cars are all good cars. I still talk abt how well suited my prev 135i was for day to day driving due to those massive low end torque. In this respect, i felt that it beats my M3 hands down, no comparison. However, for everything else, the M3 takes the cake and this is only natural as M exists for this very reason. M is the natural progression for series cars owners when they are ready for something better. I have lost count of people who owned series cars and proclaimed them to be a "wiser" buy than the M cars, but did an about face after their financial situation improved. They start singing the M tune almost overnight. This is what i call insecurity. If one has never experienced the M magic and change their tune after driving one, i can understand, but not when they can suddenly afford one and the M is suddenly a good car.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 01:10 PM   #27
DylanMckay
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
So then it is safe to assume that the only reason that any of us are on Bimmerpost is because we can't afford a Porsche.

CA
I do think it is pretty accurate to say "most" of the folks here would buy a different car if money was no option or they could afford a signifigantly higher end car. Myself included.

There is always exceptions and you may have money to have multiple cars including an m3 for fun but that is not the norm. Most m3 buyers are overly stretched in the first place but the majority have this car as a daily driver and would be in a porsche/ferrari/aston if money was not a factor.

So while not everyone is here because they cannot afford a "better" car but the large majority are including me.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 12:07 AM   #28
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanMckay View Post
I do think it is pretty accurate to say "most" of the folks here would buy a different car if money was no option or they could afford a signifigantly higher end car. Myself included.

There is always exceptions and you may have money to have multiple cars including an m3 for fun but that is not the norm. Most m3 buyers are overly stretched in the first place but the majority have this car as a daily driver and would be in a porsche/ferrari/aston if money was not a factor.

So while not everyone is here because they cannot afford a "better" car but the large majority are including me.

As for his statement about people buying the most expensive car, yes, i do buy the most expensive car i can afford and i am not ashamed of it. My income every month first goes towards taking care of mortgages, fixed expenses, and savings to buffer account for self and company. The rest of my disposable income, i buy the most expensive car i can afford. By that, i mean i pick the most exciting and practical car with the $ i can spare. I work my ass off so that i can enjoy the fruits of my labour. In time to come (< 5 years), i should be driving a Ferrari as that is my ultimate goal. Hopefully by then, a better looking Italia replacement will be available.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #29
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post

As for his statement about people buying the most expensive car, yes, i do buy the most expensive car i can afford and i am not ashamed of it. My income every month first goes towards taking care of mortgages, fixed expenses, and savings to buffer account for self and company. The rest of my disposable income, i buy the most expensive car i can afford. By that, i mean i pick the most exciting and practical car with the $ i can spare. I work my ass off so that i can enjoy the fruits of my labour. In time to come (< 5 years), i should be driving a Ferrari as that is my ultimate goal. Hopefully by then, a better looking Italia replacement will be available.
Nothing wrong with buying the most expensive car you can afford. I did the same thing at one time. Just don't assume that everyone else thinks the same way you do,

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #30
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Nothing wrong with buying the most expensive car you can afford. I did the same thing at one time. Just don't assume that everyone else thinks the same way you do,

CA
I never said everyone, so don't really know why u have to take issue with what i said. I gave a break down, which u could easily fit into.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 09:55 AM   #31
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post
I never said everyone, so don't really know why u have to take issue with what i said. I gave a break down, which u could easily fit into.
I wasn't taking issue with what you said at all and as a matter of fact was agreeing with you. "Just don't assume" was not directed at you. I probably could have worded my post better to make that clear.

The only posts I am taking issue with are the ones that maintain that the only reason people don't buy the more expensive model is because the can't afford it or because they are "too cheap". Some people see no value to the more expensive model or do not feel they would take advantage of whatever extra it offers. It makes little sense to spend money on something you don't want or need simply because you can afford it.

CA

Last edited by captainaudio; 01-08-2012 at 10:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 05:57 PM   #32
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
The only posts I am taking issue with are the ones that maintain that the only reason people don't buy the more expensive model is because the can't afford it or because they are "too cheap". Some people see no value to the more expensive model or do not feel they would take advantage of whatever extra it offers. It makes little sense to spend money on something you don't want or need simply because you can afford it.
CA
Yeah, i agree
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #33
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

I had the 335i FBO GIAC stg2..was about to do full M3 suspension, coilovers and LSD but ended up crashing it..tragically I never got the suspension done so I can only speak to the power and performance aspect of both cars.

I am enjoyin the M3 but if I had a magic wand I would DEF get back into MY 335..the car was a beast after I did my power mods and suspect it would have been infintely better once I had done the suspension

Nothing beats 17 psi of boost thru 2 turbos..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 08:26 PM   #34
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
I had the 335i FBO GIAC stg2..was about to do full M3 suspension, coilovers and LSD but ended up crashing it..tragically I never got the suspension done so I can only speak to the power and performance aspect of both cars.

I am enjoyin the M3 but if I had a magic wand I would DEF get back into MY 335..the car was a beast after I did my power mods and suspect it would have been infintely better once I had done the suspension

Don't bother going back. Just wait for the new M3
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 07:55 AM   #35
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

Quote:

Supercharge your M3 and report back please

I am sure you would use differently your magic wand.
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 09:21 AM   #36
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

Wow, the fanbois are strong in this thread. Some people don't want an M.
      01-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #37
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava09 View Post
Supercharge your M3 and report back please

I am sure you would use differently your magic wand.
At $10K...SCing is not likely..Im sure it would be beastly..anyway low mass twin turbos..with a factory built manifold would not feel the same as a large mass belt driven blower with an aftermarket manifold..

Either way the pricepoint makes it too prohibitive to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #38
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
Wow, the fanbois are strong in this thread. Some people don't want an M.
At least the e92s are in the ball bark..but e46?..come on now.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 06:01 PM   #39
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

Quote:
At least the e92s are in the ball bark..but e46?..come on now.
If you are referring to me, that car was sold. My X5 35D was 75k MSRP, so I could easily have jumped into an M. Like I said some people don't want an E9X M.
      01-09-2012, 08:18 PM   #40
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

I never come to the M3 forum to talk down others cars (frankly I never have) like a lot of M3 owners come to our N54 tuning section to tell us how special their M3's with V8's are. I would like to ask though how everyone will feel about the current V8 M3's engine when the new M3 comes? ...because I personally think a lot of personal opinions will change here about turbo'd motors (and the entire modification scene will be completely different and will look a lot like the N54 section); the new M5 is already turning heads and frankly I think this V8 M3 will be forgotten very, very soon. I would hate to be one of those guys saying; "I might have told you so" in a few years.
      01-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #41
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
^^ I likely wasn't on the same sections of the E90/92 forum (because I don't tune my car) but I saw the reverse. A lot of E90/92 fanbois gloating about how superior their tuned 335i was to the M3, and going over to the M3 section and doing that. A lot. So much so that I thought the M3 lacked low end torque and must be waaay overpriced for what you get.

There are idiots on both sides of the fence.
      01-09-2012, 10:17 PM   #42
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieDriving View Post
^^ I likely wasn't on the same sections of the E90/92 forum (because I don't tune my car) but I saw the reverse. A lot of E90/92 fanbois gloating about how superior their tuned 335i was to the M3, and going over to the M3 section and doing that. A lot. So much so that I thought the M3 lacked low end torque and must be waaay overpriced for what you get.

There are idiots on both sides of the fence.
This is definitely true... the M3 is a fantastic car in it's own right; it just has different advantages when compared to a 335i.

A little OT but if you're username is accurate; I think it's incredibly sexy that you are a female driving a 3 series and will soon be driving an M3.
      01-09-2012, 10:35 PM   #43
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post
I never come to the M3 forum to talk down others cars (frankly I never have) like a lot of M3 owners come to our N54 tuning section to tell us how special their M3's with V8's are. I would like to ask though how everyone will feel about the current V8 M3's engine when the new M3 comes? ...because I personally think a lot of personal opinions will change here about turbo'd motors (and the entire modification scene will be completely different and will look a lot like the N54 section); the new M5 is already turning heads and frankly I think this V8 M3 will be forgotten very, very soon. I would hate to be one of those guys saying; "I might have told you so" in a few years.
I guess we have a different understanding of the word "never", huh?

But to address your points... The new M5 turns heads, breaks records, and has lots of positive reviews about it. In fact, the vast majority of the reviewers are *impressed* with its capabilities, while at the same time complaining about relative lack of character of its engine compared to the previous one.

I think the N54 has been forgotten even faster than the S65, since it has been replaced by the N55. Anyway, I have driven a modified 335i for 2 years before I bought the M3 and mechanical issues notwithstanding, I liked the twin turbo engine very much... but I didn't love it. The V8 is a culmination of the old school M engine philosophy and IMO will become a classic (I could be wrong of course and frankly don't care).

If the upcoming M3 is like a scaled down M5, then I'll have to pass.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 10:39 PM   #44
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post
This is definitely true... the M3 is a fantastic car in it's own right; it just has different advantages when compared to a 335i.

A little OT but if you're username is accurate; I think it's incredibly sexy that you are a female driving a 3 series and will soon be driving an M3.
Lol. Yes, I am female and I sometimes get that reaction from guys.

I agree the 335i has its advantages as a daily driver over the M3. I also suspect, once the new M3/M4 arrives, that there will be a lot of new converts to turbocharging (done the BMW way).

Both cars are excellent, it depends what're looking for, what you want.

Edit: Turbocharging will make the cars more powerful and efficient. The NA V8 M3 is however the pinnacle (imho) of 25 years of naturally aspirated M cars... Like a fine wine, aged to perfection.

Last edited by JulieDriving; 01-09-2012 at 11:06 PM..
Appreciate 0