BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

11-01-2013, 09:49 AM   #1
Harpua
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Michelin PA vs Xi3 for DD winters?

Any opinions on these two tires?
My E90 will be my DD throughout the winter and I will be on rural back roads regularly with drifting snow likely. The PA seem more performance oriented but perhaps the Xi3 have better performance on snow days.
Your experience and advice is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
dmppdx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

They are going to be fairly different. The PA will handle pretty well and be OK, but not great in snow. The Xi3 will be great in snow, but have spongy handling and will wear fairly fast. It just depends on your priorities.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #3
Harpua
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmppdx View Post
They are going to be fairly different. The PA will handle pretty well and be OK, but not great in snow. The Xi3 will be great in snow, but have spongy handling and will wear fairly fast. It just depends on your priorities.
Interesting. Michelin has the Xi3 wear characteristics as more robust than the PA -- 10/10 vs 8/10. They even give a 60,000km warrantee in the Xi3. Do you have experience with either tire?
As much as I'd love to maintain optimum handling, I have to be ready for a Canadian winter.

It seems that most M3 drivers opt for the PA for winter driving. The Xi3 have been recommended to me and I'm just looking for more info & opinions.

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #4
dmppdx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

I don't have experiance with the PA or Xi3, but I do with the Xi2 on a non-M3 and I think they are fairly similiar to the Xi3. Great in the snow, but give up a decent amount handling wise. They are not not horrible though. Better I think that many true snow tires. As for wear, generally any performance winter tire like a PA wears better than a studless like the Xi3, so I would think the PA would wear better, but I can't confirm that. Company treadwear ratings are kind of screwy so I'm not sure they are that accurate, particularly across different tire classifications since I guarantee the Xi3 isn't a true 10/10 overall for wear. Maybe it is within it's class since its a snow tire and for me the Xi2 has been decent for wear. I had them on a quattro, so no real wheel slippage, which minimized wear, but on an M3, you might see the rears wear quickly.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 09:13 AM   #5
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep
Drives: 740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpua View Post
Interesting. Michelin has the Xi3 wear characteristics as more robust than the PA -- 10/10 vs 8/10. They even give a 60,000km warrantee in the Xi3. Do you have experience with either tire?
As much as I'd love to maintain optimum handling, I have to be ready for a Canadian winter.

It seems that most M3 drivers opt for the PA for winter driving. The Xi3 have been recommended to me and I'm just looking for more info & opinions.

Thanks again.
dmppdx outlines the tradeoff pretty well. The X-Ice line are excellent for ice and snow. They are decent but uninspiring on clear roads.

The PA3 is built as a winter tire with performance in mind. Tires of that category have good snow traction, but cannot match something like the X-Ice or Blizzak WS series on packed icy snow or actual ice.

Usually performance winter tires do have longer wear than the more dedicated ice and snow tires. I see that Michelin's treadwear ratings reverse that trend in this particular case. Some of that may be down to the expected use of the tire. For decision making, I'd figure you'll probably get about the same number of winters on either tire.
      11-02-2013, 09:40 AM   #6
Harpua
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben@tirerack View Post
dmppdx outlines the tradeoff pretty well. The X-Ice line are excellent for ice and snow. They are decent but uninspiring on clear roads.

The PA3 is built as a winter tire with performance in mind. Tires of that category have good snow traction, but cannot match something like the X-Ice or Blizzak WS series on packed icy snow or actual ice.

Usually performance winter tires do have longer wear than the more dedicated ice and snow tires. I see that Michelin's treadwear ratings reverse that trend in this particular case. Some of that may be down to the expected use of the tire. For decision making, I'd figure you'll probably get about the same number of winters on either tire.

Thanks Ben
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #7
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

I have PA4 on my M3 and my wife has Xi3 on her X1. First off I wouldn't even bother with the PA3. If you go the performance route, get the newer, better PA4. As was stated Xi3 is for ultimate snow traction but they are super squishy with really poor handling characteristics. Unless you're in snow more often than not, you will regret them on an M3. I think the PA4 is probably the best performance winter with maximum handling available while also being a good snow/wet tire. If you need excellent snow traction and want to keep some performance, look at Blizzaks. Just don't get the Xi3 for an M car unless you're on snow all the time.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #8
Harpua
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
I have PA4 on my M3 and my wife has Xi3 on her X1. First off I wouldn't even bother with the PA3. If you go the performance route, get the newer, better PA4. As was stated Xi3 is for ultimate snow traction but they are super squishy with really poor handling characteristics. Unless you're in snow more often than not, you will regret them on an M3. I think the PA4 is probably the best performance winter with maximum handling available while also being a good snow/wet tire. If you need excellent snow traction and want to keep some performance, look at Blizzaks. Just don't get the Xi3 for an M car unless you're on snow all the time.
Thanks for the advice.
I tried out the Xi3 and you are dead right -- Far too much squirm and very poor handling. I've just swapped them for the PA4s today and they immediately feel much better. I think the ultimate ice/snow grip trade off for improved clear road handling is worth it.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 09:40 PM   #9
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpua View Post
Thanks for the advice.
I tried out the Xi3 and you are dead right -- Far too much squirm and very poor handling. I've just swapped them for the PA4s today and they immediately feel much better. I think the ultimate ice/snow grip trade off for improved clear road handling is worth it.
No problem. I've been very happy with my PA4 and even pleasantly surprised how well they do in snow. It's a very predictable and controllable tire.
Appreciate 0