BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

04-20-2009, 04:21 PM   #1
KMIII
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M-DCT E92 M3

Interior products

What is a good interior product that I can use for my Silver Novillo leather? I just got the car so I want some sort of sealant that will prevent cracking and color fading into the seats. The silver novillo is very light so I am afraid it will start looking old after a few thousand miles..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 05:13 PM   #2
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMIII View Post
What is a good interior product that I can use for my Silver Novillo leather? I just got the car so I want some sort of sealant that will prevent cracking and color fading into the seats. The silver novillo is very light so I am afraid it will start looking old after a few thousand miles..
http://www.summitinds.com/manufacturer/lexol/

I've had great experiences over the years with Lexol Leather Cleaner and their conditioner as well. You would use the cleaner first, then condition afterwords.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 08:31 PM   #3
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMIII View Post
You can't/don't want to "seal" a porous, natural material like leather. The best way is to treat routinely with a good conditioner, with a cleaner used periodically. I am a big fan of the BMW leather cleaner. Very easy to apply and does not leave any unnatural finish or odor. For more serious cleaning and rejuvenation down the road, Leatherique makes a very good cleaner/conditioner combo. Not cheap but excellent results.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 03:51 PM   #4
KMIII
///M
United_States
Rep

I just bought the BMW Leather care kit with UV protection. Is that the one you are talking about? My car is new with 500 miles on it so I don't know when I should first apply this. Do you think I should use it now to kind of "protect" the leather?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 09:45 PM   #5
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

That is the one I use. I wouldn't worry that you have to hurry and get it on, but a once-a-month or two schedule should handle it (depending on your climate, whether you park outside, etc.) I don't hit the unused areas much like the back seat but try to keep an eye especially on the driver's seat. It gets the most wear and the leather in our cars is pretty soft (prone to stretching and creasing over time.) If you notice dirt buildup, go to a cleaner / conditioner combo.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 01:08 AM   #6
KMIII
///M
United_States
Rep

Does this one have the matte OEM finish? I don't want to use anything that will leave my seats shiny and glossy looking. And how does it smell? I think I will wait a month to apply it. I will only apply it to the drivers seat twice a month and passengers seat once a month. Ill hit the rear seats once every 4-5 months.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 10:34 AM   #7
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

No finish at all (that would drive me nuts...) There is a slight smell (not unpleasant) when applying but I don't notice it once wiped off and dry. That is about the schedule I use. One thing I noticed once I started conditioning is that the leather started to lose some of its tackiness (in the sticky sense, not tacky as in styling/taste.) I viewed this as a good thing because I found some of the stretching of the seat bottom leather was coming from getting in and out and not sliding enough. Sit down and then pivot to face forward, I wasn't sliding over the leather as I did with my E46. Not sure if that makes sense...
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 07:23 PM   #8
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

leather masters leaves a perfect OEM-like finish. i have it on my own black novillo, and it looks like it just came out of the factory

http://www.detailersdomain.com/index...ROD&ProdID=207
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 11:35 PM   #9
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 l Cayenne l 997.2RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScheerSpeed View Post
leather masters leaves a perfect OEM-like finish. i have it on my own black novillo, and it looks like it just came out of the factory

http://www.detailersdomain.com/index...ROD&ProdID=207
i think it looks better then new after you done
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 11:20 AM   #10
KMIII
///M
United_States
Rep

Should I get this complete kit from leathermasters? How do you guys apply this product? What are the steps? I will be ordering it today..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 12:52 PM   #11
d00t
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

I would definitely get then LM kit. Application is very easy, and laid out very nicely on the back of the bottles. Easy to follow, well written. Just pick up a few MF applicators and Foam applicators for the process.
Appreciate 0