BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

04-26-2014, 09:29 PM   #23
OldenburgerM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jet Black M3 Coupe

hmmm, what's wrong with following the rules and having a front license plate?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 12:13 AM   #24
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

most cops dont care. i havent had one in a long time. im in la.

i carry the plate in my car though and have a tow hook in front but im prepared to use the excuse, im sorry i just got back from the track this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 07:18 AM   #25
miringrains
Banned
Rep
Drives: '11.5 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldenburgerM3
hmmm, what's wrong with following the rules and having a front license plate?
I dont believe in the law like im steven sigal
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 08:58 AM   #26
Brian0473
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 SSII DCT Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
Of course I am going to call the police if I have been a victim of some sort of violence. The fact of the matter, however, is that far too many of them spend far too much time in the business of revenue collections as opposed to preventing real crime from being committed.

If all those traffic cops sitting on the highway eating their donuts, would do real crime prevention, I am willing to bet that every single day there would be at least one person in this country who would not be murdered or raped or buglarized, etc.
Since you have such a passion for keeping people safe it sounds like you should head down to the next academy class, become a crime fighter and help do it the right way then. Or sign for a citizens on patrol group and help keep your neighborhood safe. Or maybe get involved in your local government and petition for laws you don't feel make sense get repealed. Or continue bitching from behind your keyboard.

BTW, that revenue pays for the road you drive your $80k car on.

And no, I'm not a cop but you guys are ridiculous.

My old M3:
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 09:59 AM   #27
Petros
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian0473 View Post
Since you have such a passion for keeping people safe it sounds like you should head down to the next academy class, become a crime fighter and help do it the right way then. Or sign for a citizens on patrol group and help keep your neighborhood safe. Or maybe get involved in your local government and petition for laws you don't feel make sense get repealed. Or continue bitching from behind your keyboard.

Um, no. Taxes pay for the roads we drive on. Ticket revenue goes towards the inflated salaries and benefits of the cops writing the tickets, not to mention the judges and staff of the courts that administer those tickets.

And it's not his or my or any of our job to fight crime and keep people safe. It's the job of the police who are generously paid to do that job.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 06:21 PM   #28
Brian0473
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
Um, no. Taxes pay for the roads we drive on. Ticket revenue goes towards the inflated salaries and benefits of the cops writing the tickets, not to mention the judges and staff of the courts that administer those tickets.

And it's not his or my or any of our job to fight crime and keep people safe. It's the job of the police who are generously paid to do that job.
I typically refrain from internet arguments but you're smoking crack. The point I was making was that when you encounter something you feel passionately about you can either get off your ass and do something about it or just sit at your keyboard and complain. This applies to politics, the law, your job, pretty much everything where opinions differ.

A couple of points though...cops don't get paid well. I doubt you'll find many cops on this forum driving an M3. Second, they should. Because every time they pull someone over they might not get to go home. Ever again. Personally, I work in IT. My office is air conditioned and I sit at a comfy ergonomic chair all day. When people that work for me start to get excited my favorite saying is "relax, nobody here is getting shot at". Police officers don't get to say that. And seriously, all they do is execute the law. Laws are created by politicians, not police. If you don't like the laws then get off your ass and do something about it. Run for local counsel...something besides disrespect what really amount to a bunch of family guys busting their humps for a living doing their jobs.

My old M3:
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 06:33 PM   #29
M3-S65
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I wonder who you guys are going to call when someone breaks into your car or house or vandalizes something you own..? Probably a cop.
I will be calling on...my Glock 9MM ..thats who..

Last edited by M3-S65; 04-27-2014 at 06:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 07:05 PM   #30
Brian0473
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-S65 View Post
I will be calling on...my Glock 9MM ..thats who..
I live in Texas so I totally align with that...and that's the EXACT gun I keep next to my bed.

My old M3:
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 07:13 PM   #31
miringrains
Banned
Rep
Drives: '11.5 M3 E93

Quote:
I typically refrain from internet arguments but you're smoking crack. The point I was making was that when you encounter something you feel passionately about you can either get off your ass and do something about it or just sit at your keyboard and complain. This applies to politics, the law, your job, pretty much everything where opinions differ.

A couple of points though...cops don't get paid well. I doubt you'll find many cops on this forum driving an M3. Second, they should. Because every time they pull someone over they might not get to go home. Ever again. Personally, I work in IT. My office is air conditioned and I sit at a comfy ergonomic chair all day. When people that work for me start to get excited my favorite saying is "relax, nobody here is getting shot at". Police officers don't get to say that. And seriously, all they do is execute the law. Laws are created by politicians, not police. If you don't like the laws then get off your ass and do something about it. Run for local counsel...something besides disrespect what really amount to a bunch of family guys busting their humps for a living doing their jobs.
Oh fucking please, give me a break. Number one meter maids don't do any of that anyway, and number two statistically speaking not a lot of police officers get shot in new york. I mean in accordance to total statistics of getting shot. But that argument is also stupid, no one asked them to be a cop. They chose that profession, and they fully understand the risk that goes along with it. I don't understand why I'm suppose to be grateful for them, like they're doing me a favor by joining the force. As for enforcing the law, that is fine in certain pretenses. If I was a police officer I would NEVER pull anyone over for thing such as tint or plates. It is not only time consuming, but also useless. I would be more concerned about chasing actual criminals and getting an arrest, which would better me much more than giving some 19 year old a ticket.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 07:16 PM   #32
Petros
Banned
Rep

Quote:

If I was on crack then you're on LSD, because you're definitely hallucinating.

As for cop pay, I can't speak for what goes on over at your location. But over here all the upstarts get at least $60k once they begin, and within a couple of years they're up to $80k. And close to half the force makes well over $100k. That of course doesn't include pension, benefits, and overtime. One traffic cop a couple of years made as much as $160k that year including overtime. That's a very generous pay whichever way you spin it. There are people with advanced degrees who don't make that much.

Secondly, spare us the whole cops risk their lives crap. I've heard this bullshit a gazillion times before. It isn't true. This isn't Mexico or Afghanistan or Libya. We don't have armed gangs marauding through the streets. It's very very rare for someone to attack a cop, and even rarer for them to shoot and kill them. Yes there are risks, but they aren't as bad as all the propaganda makes it out to be. Policing isn't really the most dangerous job out there. There are other jobs such as those in some specialties in construction and mining for example that have higher risks of injury or even death on the job than policing. And many don't even make the same money as the cops either.

Thirdly, police only execute the law? Wrong on that too. They are very selective when it comes to which laws they execute and when. They seem to grant plenty of favors to friends and colleagues, while abusing their power and harassing those they don't like. They also seem to love enforcing laws that generate revenue (e.g. traffic tickets) as opposed to fighting more serious crime. And really, do you need to be reminded of how many times they made up charges and lie in court against citizens who did not commit wrongdoing?

Additionally, cops also help make laws. No they don't have the power to actually legislate. But they often lobby in favor of legislation they like and against legislation they don't like.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 08:11 PM   #33
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian0473
Quote:

If we were in a bar, I would buy you a beer.
      04-27-2014, 09:24 PM   #34
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

Quote:

You would be surprised how much cops or troopers/state patrol makes. Depends on the county and state, but they tend to make more than Public Defenders or ADA.

Some of retired cops I know are multi-millionaires.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 11:04 AM   #35
AshyLarryMP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MW E92 ZCP DCT

People who can afford a M3 pay their fair share of taxes.

I don't have a front plate and haven't gotten a ticket or even pulled over in 2 years. I like the cops in San Diego.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 11:24 AM   #36
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

In San Francisco, they will give tickets for parked cars in driveways with no front plates. I've seen it many times.

I really don't know how they know to look because they have to walk in front the the car to see there is no plates and then give a ticket. The only reason they'd do that is if they are targeting a car and walked up to take a look. The law does say a car has to have a front plate... but parked on private property?

I've also noticed it is the meter maids that give out no plate tickets... so I've stopped parking at meters and just duck into a paid parking lot or find neighborhood parking where no meter maids go.
      04-28-2014, 12:24 PM   #37
Nautik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW M3 DCT

Quote:
You guys sure are hating on the police...I'm not saying I haven't run into an officer who wasn't a prick for no reason but come on. If you don't want a ticket don't break the law. Pretty simple.

I wonder who you guys are going to call when someone breaks into your car or house or vandalizes something you own..? Probably a cop.
The police in certain parts of the country really are terrible. I would never have realized this before I moved from Southern CA to Northern VA. Much of the LE here really could care less about helping people and keeping us safe. It unfortunately really has become about quotas, elitism, and abuse.

It really is to the point I do not trust LE here. I had nothing but praise for LE in Southern California.
      04-28-2014, 12:48 PM   #38
Petros
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
In San Francisco, they will give tickets for parked cars in driveways with no front plates. I've seen it many times.

I really don't know how they know to look because they have to walk in front the the car to see there is no plates and then give a ticket. The only reason they'd do that is if they are targeting a car and walked up to take a look. The law does say a car has to have a front plate... but parked on private property?

I've also noticed it is the meter maids that give out no plate tickets... so I've stopped parking at meters and just duck into a paid parking lot or find neighborhood parking where no meter maids go.
Really? That's weird. I don't know the law in your area, so I can't comment about it. But here in Ontario, traffic is governed by the Highway Traffic Act, which only applies to public roads, and by special agreement, the private highway 407 toll road. That means any traffic tickets are invalid for an offense on private property. So they can't ticket us for a car parked in a driveway, or for example for disobeying those stop signs that you see on private parking lots.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 01:05 PM   #39
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
Any city that uses redlight cameras in intersections will be interested in you having a front plate. It's all about revenue generation. Although they can snap the rear of the car, they seem to like the front view with the driver's face (if possible) and plate together.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 01:12 PM   #40
Nautik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW M3 DCT

Quote:

Actually I believe the State pays for most of the roads we drive our M3s on. Ticketed motorist revenue generally goes to the county or city to augment their annual budgets. It's been so bad in some States that the State legislatures have had to cap how much of a city's budget can come from ticketed motorist (such as MO, AK, and NY).

Some of us are very involved in changing legislation by the way Obviously I can't comment on LaThral.
      04-28-2014, 01:16 PM   #41
Petros
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemdog View Post
Any city that uses redlight cameras in intersections will be interested in you having a front plate. It's all about revenue generation. Although they can snap the rear of the car, they seem to like the front view with the driver's face (if possible) and plate together.
why does the face matter? tickets from red light cameras are usually a fine that goes to the owner of the car. they aren't driving infractions that go on the driver's record.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 01:19 PM   #42
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemdog View Post

no they take a pic of the car before, and going through the light.. Front plate doesn't matter. Driver doesn't matter either.

Quote:
why does the face matter? tickets from red light cameras are usually a fine that goes to the owner of the car. they aren't driving infractions that go on the driver's record.
Yeah his info is incorrect.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 03:27 PM   #43
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

#mynypd

thats all i gotta say.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 03:36 PM   #44
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
In Calfornia, it is the driver of the car that is ticketed. The ticket gets mailed to the address of the registered owner of the car. But the owner can say he was not driving and mention who it is. That ticket will then get transferred to the other person. A photo id check is done with the DMV records to verify identity.

Also, red light tickets count as moving violations and count on your record as points on your license. So it is a big deal when you get a red light ticket. The weight of that ticket is the same as if a officer pulled you over for running a red light. I got a red light camera ticket before and went through this whole process.