BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW
Closed Thread

01-24-2010, 12:24 AM   #23
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray

Stock Vs Coilovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trier Germany View Post
I have H&R and felt a dramatic difference in handling on the Nordschleife. Alot less body roll! sharper turn ins! better felling at the limit. The stock setup is for M3 drivers that will never leave the public roads!
I'm still waiting for the aftermarket companies to come out with coilovers that adapt too EDC. Hopefully they are not too far away i will definately go KW!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 01:02 AM   #24
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorPR View Post
I was looking into buying some Eibach springs. Would you recommend these or will they push the limit of the stock setup? I know that Dinan includes a shorter bumpstop and Eibach does not. I assume that Eibach believes that a shorter bumpstop is not necessary for their springs, and by adding one it will alter the overall spring rate.

Thanks...
The key to Dinan's solution is 1) shorter bump stop (-0.2") and 2) shorter upper guide support (-0.3"). These combined maintains the suspension travel while dropping the car by 0.5".
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 01:16 AM   #25
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
Very interesting analysis about the effects of installing lowering springs.

I have a suggestion that will give your theory a little more factual 'weight'...

Your calculations should factor in the progressive spring rate of every aftermarket lowering spring on the market.

The current crop of lowering spring for the M3 will all have different progressive spring rates, so they will all behave a little different with the OE shocks and struts.

From my perspective, Dinan and Eibach got it right...and everyone else got it wrong.
I agree. Its a good starting point but there are so many other variables that need to be included to make a solid argument.

I was a little confused with the numbers though. If total available compression is 2.875" but the bump stop is 2.375", then compression prior to contacting the bump stop is 0.5". So with a 1" drop you're already compressing the bump stop 0.5". Now you said that at 1" the bump stop will act like "rock bottom" although according to your graph, it looks like the non-linearity of the bump stop is closer to 20mm which is more like 0.75". Anyway, if we go with the 1" number and we're already at 0.5" compression, we only have 0.5" left and not 0.875" per your calculations. If we go with the 0.75" rock bottom number, we actually would only have 0.25" left right?
      01-24-2010, 01:25 AM   #26
rzm3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
I agree. Its a good starting point but there are so many other variables that need to be included to make a solid argument.

I was a little confused with the numbers though. If total available compression is 2.875" but the bump stop is 2.375", then compression prior to contacting the bump stop is 0.5". So with a 1" drop you're already compressing the bump stop 0.5". Now you said that at 1" the bump stop will act like "rock bottom" although according to your graph, it looks like the non-linearity of the bump stop is closer to 20mm which is more like 0.75". Anyway, if we go with the 1" number and we're already at 0.5" compression, we only have 0.5" left and not 0.875" per your calculations. If we go with the 0.75" rock bottom number, we actually would only have 0.25" left right?
First, what I said is when the bump stop compresses to 1", the bump stop rate will shoot up.

Second, the graph is just an illustration of a similar bump stop.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 01:26 AM   #27
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppin Fresh View Post
But couldn't you buy those bump stops separately and have them shaved to lowering specs? I remember someone doing this before.
You should even need to shave/cut them since they E36 M3 bumpstops are shorter than the stock ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter4784 View Post
I agree, i would trust Dinan because they are the official bmw aftermarket supplier and they make it all work out in the end

And from what I have heard, springs are only for cosmetics, it does not affect performance
There is NOTHING official about Dinan anymore. That relationship ended long ago.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 02:20 AM   #28
Evan_RS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M

Damm, and I was just about to order the RD Sport springs.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 06:36 AM   #29
alex310
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335I Coupe/M3 Sedan

Quote:
Very interesting analysis about the effects of installing lowering springs.

I have a suggestion that will give your theory a little more factual 'weight'...

Your calculations should factor in the progressive spring rate of every aftermarket lowering spring on the market.

The current crop of lowering spring for the M3 will all have different progressive spring rates, so they will all behave a little different with the OE shocks and struts.

From my perspective, Dinan and Eibach got it right...and everyone else got it wrong.
I agree with my old buddy Lemans here, Dinan includes a camber plate that has been cut down by .3" and uses the e36 M3 bump stops which are shorter, this gives the shock more travel then a stock camber plate on the front.

I noticed on my buddies car his EiBachs didn't even really drop it too much so I guess that's good too.

My H&R Coils are just amazing, the handling on the car is much better then stock.

I know your going to make fun of me later Lemans, but here is a question for you, when I went from my 285/25/20s in the rear to 295/25/20s it feels as if the handling wasn't as good as before, could this be? I am running 255/30/20s on the front.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 07:47 AM   #30
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2016 GT3

I've had my H&R springs on for over 10,000 miles and 8 HPDEs. I do not feel the handling on the track has been compromised, but I do feel it is not an ideal situation. For me this is not intended as the final solution; eventually coilovers will be the anwer.
      01-24-2010, 10:31 AM   #31
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex310 View Post
I agree with my old buddy Lemans here, Dinan includes a camber plate that has been cut down by .3" and uses the e36 M3 bump stops which are shorter, this gives the shock more travel then a stock camber plate on the front.

I noticed on my buddies car his EiBachs didn't even really drop it too much so I guess that's good too.

My H&R Coils are just amazing, the handling on the car is much better then stock.

I know your going to make fun of me later Lemans, but here is a question for you, when I went from my 285/25/20s in the rear to 295/25/20s it feels as if the handling wasn't as good as before, could this be? I am running 255/30/20s on the front.
The reason your handling seems a bit off, is that the larger 295/25/20's have a larger section width, and they weigh a few pounds more per tire. Also, the larger differential width between the tires on your front axle (255/30), and rear axle (295/25) are causing little more understeer than you had with your previous setup.

That's why your handling feels different now, since you bought the larger rear tire size. (to fill up the rear wheel well)

Larger tires and wheels will affect the way your suspension responds under compression and rebound. Keep in mind that our stock suspension was designed and tested with the stock wheel and tire sizes during R&D.
      01-24-2010, 11:55 AM   #32
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Do the chamber plates come with the Dinan spring kit, or is it an additional option? I know they have a few levels of spring kits.
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 12:06 PM   #33
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
Do the chamber plates come with the Dinan spring kit, or is it an additional option? I know they have a few levels of spring kits.
The camber plates are a separate option. However I don't believe it will work with the stock suspension so you need to run their suspension to use them. (Although I think they make work with other aftermarket suspension set ups as well..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 12:46 PM   #34
rzm3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
The camber plates are a separate option. However I don't believe it will work with the stock suspension so you need to run their suspension to use them. (Although I think they make work with other aftermarket suspension set ups as well..
They will work with stock upper guide support, meaning you can add them to your stock suspension w/o their spring kit.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 01:29 PM   #35
Bluechipper
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 Vert

My Eibach springs have been absolutely spot on.

Mild drop, oem ride quality, edc works perfectly.

Best mod I have done. I wouldn't change a thing.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 02:13 PM   #36
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL

Quote:
I'm still waiting for the aftermarket companies to come out with coilovers that adapt too EDC. Hopefully they are not too far away i will definately go KW!
Amen to that
2002 M5, SSII/Blk and bone stock. In storage back home in TX
2008 M3, AW/Blk 6MT, lots of track stuff SOLD
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 02:23 PM   #37
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC919 View Post
Amen to that
Hmm...

I think there's some lingering perception among M3 owners, that an aftermarket suspension setup can be fully compatible with the factory EDC option.

Unfortunately, that's virtually impossible the way the EDC suspension is designed by BMW.
      01-24-2010, 02:23 PM   #38
rzm3
Rep

Quote:
From what I've read from industry insiders, this will probably not happen because 1) the EDC system is quite complex (hence not justifying the R&D) and 2) there are IP protection surrounding the OE design.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 02:42 PM   #39
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
From what I've read from industry insiders, this will probably not happen because 1) the EDC system is quite complex (hence not justifying the R&D) and 2) there are IP protection surrounding the OE design.
... and probably the most important reason: the M3 market that will pay for EDC in the first place and then replace it with aftermarket EDC is insignificant.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 05:03 PM   #40
Reedomn
Major
Rep
Drives: Lambo Huracan/RR Velar/C8

Great thread..

Very informative...another reason this is the best BMW/M3 site!!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 02:51 AM   #41
sehrgut
Major
Rep
Drives: emthree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
... and probably the most important reason: the M3 market that will pay for EDC in the first place and then replace it with aftermarket EDC is insignificant.
+1 but when I got my M3 I had no intention of dropping it so now after some time i want to drop it and I should just have bought it without the EDC but then again, it works so awesome. But as far as looks go, it could need a drop and because of aftermarket springs works with EDC I will look over the bumpstop issue anyways, i mean, who cares? Just buy shorter once or simply replace them youself every other year or so.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 12:21 PM   #42
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
My eibachs feel "right" unlike my H&R's.
Would you mind elaborating a little more please?

Not sure if I can afford any drop in ride height at all (driveway-related), but I was considering the Dinan springs... even so, I'd like to know what it was you didn't like about the H&R's...
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 12:24 PM   #43
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
I think there's some lingering perception among M3 owners, that an aftermarket suspension setup can be fully compatible with the factory EDC option.

Unfortunately, that's virtually impossible the way the EDC suspension is designed by BMW.
Well, both the M3 "Edition" package and the upcoming ZCP have a 10mm drop in ride height - and are available with EDC.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 12:30 PM   #44
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Would you mind elaborating a little more please?

Not sure if I can afford any drop in ride height at all (driveway-related), but I was considering the Dinan springs... even so, I'd like to know what it was you didn't like about the H&R's...
Put a 2X4 across the lowest part of the dip in your driveway

May have to sandbag it down
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread