BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications
 
BPM
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-29-2009, 11:14 PM   #1
py0413
Major
py0413's Avatar
Canada
59
Rep
1,251
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive35/2017 Pors
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: BC

iTrader: (2)

RD LED Angel Eye installed. One quick question!

Hi guys,

I received the RD LED kit in mail today and spent some time doing the installation myself. It is fairly easy to install; took me less than 30 mins. I am usually not that handy when it comes to DIY stuff, but this one I had no problem with.

My question is that the led lights flash when they were first turned on and off. For example, if I click "unlock" on my remote, the angel eye comes on but it would do a couple flash before it's completely turned on. Same thing happens when I press "lock" on my remote which turns them off. Again, a couple flash before they were completely turned off. I tried to disconnect them and re-connect again; the result is the same. However, they do turn on properly when I start the engine though. I am just wondering if this is a normal situation.

any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks guys.
__________________
Must stop eating..............
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 12:29 AM   #2
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel
frankzlin79's Avatar
United_States
157
Rep
1,625
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Houston, Texas

iTrader: (5)

I have RD Angel Eye LED as well. What you describe is completely normal. They are LEDs...they are either on or off (no in between like the stock halogen lights) that is why you experience the flickering.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 04:30 AM   #3
py0413
Major
py0413's Avatar
Canada
59
Rep
1,251
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive35/2017 Pors
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: BC

iTrader: (2)

a couple pictures of the led angel eye!!
Attached Images
  
__________________
Must stop eating..............
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 04:34 AM   #4
py0413
Major
py0413's Avatar
Canada
59
Rep
1,251
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive35/2017 Pors
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: BC

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankzlin79 View Post
I have RD Angel Eye LED as well. What you describe is completely normal. They are LEDs...they are either on or off (no in between like the stock halogen lights) that is why you experience the flickering.
Thanks! As long as they are working fine. I don't mind that. One other question is do we need to take special car of that cylinder thing that works as a transformer/stablizer?
__________________
Must stop eating..............
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 02:39 PM   #5
E92-Lighting
E92-Lighting's Avatar
United_States
701
Rep
35,255
Posts

Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Walnut

iTrader: (324)

this is normal with RD angel eyes
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 02:29 PM   #6
leemik
Major
United_States
95
Rep
1,359
Posts

Drives: 2013 LRP M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Quincy, MA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [4.75]
I've had a lot of trouble with the round tube ballast RD LED Halos.. they seem to always die on me within a month.. I've had better luck with the retangular box ballast ones.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 12:06 AM   #7
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel
frankzlin79's Avatar
United_States
157
Rep
1,625
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Houston, Texas

iTrader: (5)

The cylinder gets extremely hot. I laid them at the bottom of the housing, away from wires. The area in the housing is so spacious though, there is no doubt that the cylinders are moving around as you drive. I have the RD Angels for about 3 wks now with no problems (no fires!) yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 05:41 PM   #8
leemik
Major
United_States
95
Rep
1,359
Posts

Drives: 2013 LRP M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Quincy, MA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [4.75]
Well, I've now officially gone through two sets of RD LEDs grrrrrr

They all died in about 5-6 months..

I'm using some temporary GP Thunders I had lying around.. OMG forgot how bad they looked..barely light up the outer ring.. cant see any angels when you turn on the headlights.. The inner ring is super bright tho.

I'm tired of it!!

so I ordered some of those new hyped up H8 LUX bulbs.. hopefully they will be the end all of this.. I probably spent about $450 on getting these angel eyes right dammit!

--mike
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 06:04 PM   #9
Jlnike
First Lieutenant
8
Rep
314
Posts

Drives: 08 e90 m3 07 e90 328xi
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York

iTrader: (1)

anyone else burn out ther RD led's?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 06:17 PM   #10
mike2016
Private First Class
mike2016's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
155
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 MW ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: city of industry, CA

iTrader: (0)

LUX > RD
__________________
11 e92 M3 mineral white ZCP DCT
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 06:35 PM   #11
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
tom @ eas's Avatar
United_States
2035
Rep
14,278
Posts


Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [5.00]
2015 BMW M4  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by leemik View Post
Well, I've now officially gone through two sets of RD LEDs grrrrrr

They all died in about 5-6 months..

I'm using some temporary GP Thunders I had lying around.. OMG forgot how bad they looked..barely light up the outer ring.. cant see any angels when you turn on the headlights.. The inner ring is super bright tho.

I'm tired of it!!

so I ordered some of those new hyped up H8 LUX bulbs.. hopefully they will be the end all of this.. I probably spent about $450 on getting these angel eyes right dammit!

--mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankzlin79
The cylinder gets extremely hot. I laid them at the bottom of the housing, away from wires. The area in the housing is so spacious though, there is no doubt that the cylinders are moving around as you drive. I have the RD Angels for about 3 wks now with no problems (no fires!) yet.
This is due to an inefficient heatsink being used on the RD kit, the the MYCARR e90 kits are actually worse. Here's the e92 kit in question:



That design uses virtually no heat sink at all, it cannot even cool the current LED it uses properly.

Here's a comparison of the AiB LED and heatsink:



Here's an interesting test: take the RD LED device and put a simple light meter on it. Take readings in front of it at start up, 5min, 10min etc. We found that output dropped to ~40% of the original turn-on brightness after 30min of use.

Food for thought.
__________________
Tom G. | european auto source (eas)
email: tom@europeanautosource.com web: www.europeanautosource.com tel 866.669.0705 ca: 714.369.8524 x22

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 06:47 PM   #12
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
320
Rep
7,944
Posts

Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
This is due to an inefficient heatsink being used on the RD kit, the the MYCARR e90 kits are actually worse. Here's the e92 kit in question:
Yes, as an architect I know that thermal control is crucial to LED performance and longevity.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 10-09-2009 at 09:56 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 09:33 PM   #13
py0413
Major
py0413's Avatar
Canada
59
Rep
1,251
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive35/2017 Pors
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: BC

iTrader: (2)

can anybody here show us a picture of how the LUX kit looks like when they are out of the box? all the picture i found was after installation.
__________________
Must stop eating..............
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2009, 12:39 AM   #14
leemik
Major
United_States
95
Rep
1,359
Posts

Drives: 2013 LRP M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Quincy, MA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [4.75]
I just installed my LUX H8 kit today..

Sorry I didn't take pictures but the LED portion looked similar to the RD's except theres a big round aluminum heatsink attached to the rear.. not quite as big as the ones on the AiB but maybe about half the size.. and it didn't seem like you could remove it so it's a little bit tricky to install.. took me maybe an extra 2 minutes to figure out the perfect angle where it slides in.. Maybe 15 minutes total to install both..

The light it gives out is brighter than the RD LEDs but not as bright as the HID angel eyes.. The outer ring is still somewhat uneven at certain angles and not as bright as the inner ring but lights up more than the RD's .. straight on it looks perfect..

The light temp is very white, matches the temp of the headlights well.. In comparison, the RDs are rather blueish and 8500K GP Thunders I had were purple.

Turning on headlights does not dim them.. and something I could never see with the RDs was the reflection of your halos on the car in front of you.. With the LUX H8's I can clearly see the inner rings reflected on the car in front.. the outer rings not as much..

I get no iDrive warnings.

So, as long as the LUX H8's last the lifetime of the car you can mark me a satisfied customer.

--mike
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2009, 01:27 AM   #15
py0413
Major
py0413's Avatar
Canada
59
Rep
1,251
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive35/2017 Pors
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: BC

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemik View Post
I just installed my LUX H8 kit today..

Sorry I didn't take pictures but the LED portion looked similar to the RD's except theres a big round aluminum heatsink attached to the rear.. not quite as big as the ones on the AiB but maybe about half the size.. and it didn't seem like you could remove it so it's a little bit tricky to install.. took me maybe an extra 2 minutes to figure out the perfect angle where it slides in.. Maybe 15 minutes total to install both..

The light it gives out is brighter than the RD LEDs but not as bright as the HID angel eyes.. The outer ring is still somewhat uneven at certain angles and not as bright as the inner ring but lights up more than the RD's .. straight on it looks perfect..

The light temp is very white, matches the temp of the headlights well.. In comparison, the RDs are rather blueish and 8500K GP Thunders I had were purple.

Turning on headlights does not dim them.. and something I could never see with the RDs was the reflection of your halos on the car in front of you.. With the LUX H8's I can clearly see the inner rings reflected on the car in front.. the outer rings not as much..

I get no iDrive warnings.

So, as long as the LUX H8's last the lifetime of the car you can mark me a satisfied customer.

--mike
Great description Mike,

I will see how my RD last. Many people are saying that they don't last longer than 6 months due to its design. Hopefully, I will not need to deal with changing that over the winter season. If it eventually dies, I think I will give LUX or AiB a try. I personally do not like the HID kit for angel eye because they are making it way too bright than it should have to be.

thank you again for the write-up,

Payne
__________________
Must stop eating..............
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 04:25 PM   #16
///V\3Dude
I Drive Slow To Save Gas :D
///V\3Dude's Avatar
United_States
18
Rep
464
Posts

Drives: 08 M3, MY11 STi
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: I <3 NY

iTrader: (2)

my angels just died on me, now i can't find jack shiz to claim for the manufacture warranty any1 have any ideas?
__________________
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:31 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST