BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

10-21-2007, 09:29 PM   #1
m3dreamin
Registered
Rep
Drives: Jaguar S-Type (way too slow)

iDrive / MDrive truly required for Steering Map Setting?

So I asked this question as part of another thread (but it got buried under a separate debate), so I'm starting a new one for this question. I've read the multiple threads debating this topic, and it appears that a good number of folks seem sure that iDrive / MDrive is required to adjust the Steering Settings? The formal Sedan press release posted as a sticky seems to suggest that iDrive/MDrive are required only for saving and recalling of overall preferred settings:

"Servotronic steering with two manually adjustable control maps

Rear-wheel drive keeps the rack-and-pinion steering of the BMW M3 Sedan free of drive forces. A further enhancement is hydraulic Servotronic power assistance controlling steering forces as a function of road speed. There is also a choice of two different control maps activated through normal and sport modes with a console-mounted button."

and

"MDrive personalizes the driving characteristics of the new BMW M3

The new M3 provides several standard and optional driver-controlled systems to tailor the driving characteristics to a driver's personal preferences. The driver can choose, with conveniently located buttons:

• DSC on or off (for a very competent, performance-oriented driver)
• EDC in Sport, Normal or Comfort modes
• Servotronic in Sport or Comfort modes
• Throttle response either direct/sporting or comfort oriented

A push of the MDrive button on the steering wheel can instantaneously activate the above driver-selectable configurations, turning the new BMW M3 into his or her personalized Ultimate Driving Machine. "

Can anyone without iDrive/MDrive confirm one way or the other? Having the heavier steering would be strongly desired by most, I'm hoping this is available without having to spend money on unnecessary electronics like iDrive/Nav...
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2007, 10:42 PM   #2
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Servotronic settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3dreamin View Post
So I asked this question as part of another thread (but it got buried under a separate debate), so I'm starting a new one for this question. I've read the multiple threads debating this topic, and it appears that a good number of folks seem sure that iDrive / MDrive is required to adjust the Steering Settings? The formal Sedan press release posted as a sticky seems to suggest that iDrive/MDrive are required only for saving and recalling of overall preferred settings:

"Servotronic steering with two manually adjustable control maps

Rear-wheel drive keeps the rack-and-pinion steering of the BMW M3 Sedan free of drive forces. A further enhancement is hydraulic Servotronic power assistance controlling steering forces as a function of road speed. There is also a choice of two different control maps activated through normal and sport modes with a console-mounted button."

and

"MDrive personalizes the driving characteristics of the new BMW M3

The new M3 provides several standard and optional driver-controlled systems to tailor the driving characteristics to a driver's personal preferences. The driver can choose, with conveniently located buttons:

• DSC on or off (for a very competent, performance-oriented driver)
• EDC in Sport, Normal or Comfort modes
• Servotronic in Sport or Comfort modes
• Throttle response either direct/sporting or comfort oriented

A push of the MDrive button on the steering wheel can instantaneously activate the above driver-selectable configurations, turning the new BMW M3 into his or her personalized Ultimate Driving Machine. "

Can anyone without iDrive/MDrive confirm one way or the other? Having the heavier steering would be strongly desired by most, I'm hoping this is available without having to spend money on unnecessary electronics like iDrive/Nav...
Here is your answer:

"Servotronic
The settings that can be selected for the Servotronic steering function re "Normal" and "Sport". Depending on the selection, the appropriate characteristic curve for powerassisted steering is active. This selection option is only available in the MDrive menu. Without MDrive, the customer has no option, and a fixed programmed speeddependent characteristic curve is used."
--BMW Aftersales Taining Product Information

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2007, 12:45 AM   #3
m3dreamin
Registered
Rep
Drives: Jaguar S-Type (way too slow)

Bummer, thanks for the clarification...
Appreciate 0