BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Closed Thread

05-22-2015, 08:56 PM   #1
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

e92 M3 vs Cayman GTS

So I picked up my 2015 Porsche Cayman GTS yesterday. I had a chance to do some highway, fast ramp, and a little back road driving. Today, I drove my M3, so here is my back to back comparison.

The bottom line here, is that much like when I test drove the 911 some time back, the Cayman in GTS spec is simply in a different league from a driving standpoint.

The M3 is as good a driver's car as you can make from a practical transport vehicle, but the Cayman driving experience is nothing short of magnificent.

Let's get to the first issue that everyone seems to be concerned about with the Cayman....straight line speed capability. Basically, it has enough. If the e9x M3 is fast enough for you, this car will be also. In fact, at low rpms it has a little more punch overall. Redline is 7800rpms also, so you do get to rev this thing. It certainly is not slower whatsoever than the M3, and may be slightly faster, at least to about 100mph which is fast as I took the car. Remember, the Cayman weighs under 3100 lbs, and has very little driveline power loss. Porsche also tends to under rate their engines.

It is hard to improve on the S65's throttle response, but the Cayman is just as good. Immediate, linear. It is not as smooth as it revs, but my M3 has over 18000 miles, while the Cayman is a new motor. The sound of the S65, however, is still vastly superior. In fact, I don't really know how the Cayman engine really sounds because 1. It is located behind you along with the exhaust and 2. the exhaust is loud.

So speaking of exhaust, the Porsche has a proper pure sports car exhaust sound to it. It is loud and purposeful. Even in non-sport mode, I would tire of it after about a 2 hour road trip, but for ripping up the back roads, it will leave you giggling silly. In comparison, my M performace exhaust is better for long trips, but not as grin inducing when in that sort of mood. Lots of pops, burbles, etc.

The steering and handling is where the Cayman put some real distance over the M3. This car is so responsive, and so wired to your nervous system. The steering is a little tighter in feel than the M3 in dynamic mode. You can just slam the wheel, and the car just moves with a sharpness and fluidity, that, to me, until this point, was uncomprehensible. It is truly mind blowing.

My Cayman comes with the fixed rate damper sport suspension as opposed to the adjustable variant. It sits 20mm lower. Compared to the M3 with EDC in full sport, the ride is better composed, less harsh, and yet the car feels better planted. I have no idea what Porsche does with it's suspension tuning, but it all works...you guessed it....magnificently.

The Cayman interior is also in another league compared to the M3. The grade of materials is really, really high end. The plastics are high grade, and there is leather and alcantara everywhere with proper sporty contrast stitching. The fit and finish of every little item is top notch. It really feels special. The overall graphics and design is just so elegant and, simultaneously, sporty.

The PDK gearbox in the Cayman is so good. Instant shifts with no hint of any mechanical blundering whether you are shifting up or down. That said, my M3 is a manual and it has been a while since I drove a DCT M3. It is a much better gearbox, however, than the DSG system in my Audi S6.

So in the end, I have to say that from a pure driving thrill standpoint, there is nothing that the Cayman leaves me wanting from the M3. I do think the M3 would be more comfortable for long trips and it is obviously more practical, but again, it is a practical vehicle that has been made as sporty as you can while still maintaining functionality as a real transportation tool. For that it deserves a huge amount of credit. But as a pure grin inducing thrill machine, the Cayman GTS wins, hands down. No regrets whatsoever.

Here's a good review....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxXrDIevmlY

Last edited by LarThaL; 05-23-2015 at 08:59 PM..
Appreciate 2
      05-22-2015, 10:13 PM   #2
REV1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

Looks great.. Nice choice

My next move Gt4 and the M3 stays.. I can't wait
      05-22-2015, 10:22 PM   #3
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Porsche Cayman

Garage List
Congrats LarThal. Coincidentally I'm picking up a used Cayman tomorrow. Great review
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 10:26 PM   #4
w0ady
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Congrats and thanks for the comparison!

http://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic273443_2.gif
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 10:52 PM   #5
lve2xlr8
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Love the way you spec'd your Cayman, beautiful. I just moved from the m3 to a 997 Turbo and I'm loving it so far. What the Porsches lack in practicality, they more than make up for in driving dynamics. I'll always love the m3 though, such a special car.

I've got a loaner Boxster while the 911 is getting maintenance and I can't believe how well this platform handles.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 10:56 PM   #6
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

I may disagree with the pick. But that car is still very nice. I love Porsche interior, well made car!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 05:52 AM   #7
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNate View Post
Congrats LarThal. Coincidentally I'm picking up a used Cayman tomorrow. Great review
Great. Would love to hear your thoughts as well. Do post pics, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lve2xlr8 View Post
Love the way you spec'd your Cayman, beautiful. I just moved from the m3 to a 997 Turbo and I'm loving it so far. What the Porsches lack in practicality, they more than make up for in driving dynamics. I'll always love the m3 though, such a special car. I've got a loaner Boxster while the 911 is getting maintenance and I can't believe how well this platform handles.
Mid-engine, RWD !! It doesn't get any better !! Actually, I didn't spec it. It was in the dealer showroom. I was really leaning towards an Aston Martin Vantage GT, but when I saw this car and how it was spec'd, I bought it on sight. It is really rare, in my experience, to see dealers cars spec'd out like this, but there is was, calling my name !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
I may disagree with the pick. But that car is still very nice. I love Porsche interior, well made car!
Hey, I still love the Aston, but if you saw this thing in person, it has almost as much presence. I was quite surprised actually. When I saw it in the showroom, my head turned instantly, even before I fully realized what I was looking at.
      05-23-2015, 06:12 AM   #8
Hagasan41
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 ///M3, 1999 E36 ///M3

As usual love your insight! Congratulations on the new ride! Great car choice but don't sell the M3!

You have quite the stable now my friend! Any mods planned for the GTS?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 06:55 AM   #9
MDREDev
Banned
Rep
Drives: Gremlin

Beautiful car. Fantastic color and well spec'd. Thanks for the review which is almost exactly what I thought you would say. Trying to decide myself on color for my S....white, agate or sapphire blue.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 07:40 AM   #10
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDREDev View Post
Beautiful car. Fantastic color and well spec'd. Thanks for the review which is almost exactly what I thought you would say. Trying to decide myself on color for my S....white, agate or sapphire blue.
I personally think the curvaceous body style of Porsches look really good in white. Agate has a hint of a green-brown in bright sun. The sapphire blue is a shade that you will either love or not. I personally don't like that shade. I much prefer something like the Santorini Blue of the M3. Rhodium and GT silver look great, IMO. Of the 3 colors you have listed, my vote is for white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagasan41 View Post
As usual love your insight! Congratulations on the new ride! Great car choice but don't sell the M3!

You have quite the stable now my friend! Any mods planned for the GTS?
If I get top dollar for my M3, I will sell, but not otherwise. It is certainly still an amazing car and I still love driving it.

As far as mods go, we will have to see over time. The thing with Porsche is that you can spec it out so completely from the factory, that it basically comes modded. There really is nothing to do. Suspension is perfect. Wheels are gorgeous. Exhaust is great. Brakes are great. GTS body kit parts are already there. Interior is upgraded. Maybe over time, something will pop up onto my radar screen, but for now, I don't see anything that I need or want to change. In that sense, I am happy.....less temptation to spend $$$$.

Last edited by LarThaL; 05-23-2015 at 10:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 08:14 AM   #11
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
I personally think the curvaceous body style of Porsches look really good in white. Agate has a hint of a green-brown in bright sun. The sapphire blue is a shade that you will either love or not. I personally don't like that shade. I much prefer something like the Santorini Blue of the M3. Rhodium and GT silver look great, IMO. Of the 3 colors you have listed, my vote is for white.

If I get top dollar for my M3, I will sell, but not otherwise. It is certainly still an amazing car and I still love driving it.

As far as mods go,we will have to see over time. The thing with Porsche is that you can spec it out so completely from the factory, that it basically comes modded. There really is nothing to do. Suspension is perfect. Wheels are gorgeous. Exhaust is great. Brakes are great. GTS body kit parts are already there. Interior is upgraded. Maybe over time, something will pop up onto my radar screen, but for now, I don't see anything that I need or want to change. In that sense, I am happy.....less temptation to spend $$$$.
You can always go with a 3.8 swap

You should give the Porsche guys a taste of the BMW world...install a fixed wing and buy "GT4" lettering and slap it on the back of your car

Last edited by EJT86; 05-23-2015 at 08:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 10:24 AM   #12
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJT86 View Post
You can always go with a 3.8 swap

You should give the Porsche guys a taste of the BMW world...install a fixed wing and buy "GT4" lettering and slap it on the back of your car
Yes, I am sure that will go over even better with that crowd than it does with this one !!!!

Actually, I think that the reason you don't see it more is that for Porsche, the brand image is the brand name. For BMW, it isn't as much, and they are therefore playing off the prestige of ///M.
      05-23-2015, 10:46 AM   #13
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

Congrats, I'm not surprised that you love it!
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 11:12 AM   #14
Brian0473
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 SSII DCT Coupe

Congratulations on the Cayman! Well done on the color choices as well.

My old M3:
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 11:19 AM   #15
malrash
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M5 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
Yes, I am sure that will go over even better with that crowd than it does with this one !!!!

Actually, I think that the reason you don't see it more is that for Porsche, the brand image is the brand name. For BMW, it isn't as much, and they are therefore playing off the prestige of ///M.

Or get a less optioned spyder for the same price. Get the droptop and the 3.8 and more exclusivity.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 02:40 PM   #16
X5-User
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Congrats on your new ride. Maaaan I am so jealous right now
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 02:52 PM   #17
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL
Quote:
Great. Would love to hear your thoughts as well. Do post pics, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lve2xlr8 View Post
Love the way you spec'd your Cayman, beautiful. I just moved from the m3 to a 997 Turbo and I'm loving it so far. What the Porsches lack in practicality, they more than make up for in driving dynamics. I'll always love the m3 though, such a special car. I've got a loaner Boxster while the 911 is getting maintenance and I can't believe how well this platform handles.
Mid-engine, RWD !! It doesn't get any better !! Actually, I didn't spec it. It was in the dealer showroom. I was really leaning towards an Aston Martin Vantage GT, but when I saw this car and how it was spec'd, I bought it on sight. It is really rare, in my experience, to see dealers cars spec'd out like this, but there is was, calling my name !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
Hey, I still love the Aston, but if you saw this thing in person, it has almost as much presence. I was quite surprised actually. When I saw it in the showroom, my head turned instantly, even before I fully realized what I was looking at.
Just picked it up today. A 987.2 with low miles. It's a base Cayman. Great car but it's no GTS. I'm having a lot of fun tho. Better/more refinement and WAAAAAYY more motor than the FR-S I just said goodbye to. The 2.9 litre is def underrated.
)
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 04:03 PM   #18
ridin135
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

Congrats man you will love it
      05-23-2015, 04:43 PM   #19
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Just picked it up today. A 987.2 with low miles. It's a base Cayman. Great car but it's no GTS. I'm having a lot of fun tho. Better/more refinement and WAAAAAYY more motor than the FR-S I just said goodbye to. The 2.9 litre is def underrated.
Pics please !!!
      05-23-2015, 04:44 PM   #20
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by malrash View Post
Or get a less optioned spyder for the same price. Get the droptop and the 3.8 and more exclusivity.
Spyder is very cool, but I did not want a convertible and I did want PDK with this car.
      05-23-2015, 08:41 PM   #21
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL
Quote:
Pics please !!!
Ask and ye shall receive...
Attached Images

)
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 09:04 PM   #22
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Ask and ye shall receive...

Superb. Enjoy those twisty roads in good health. Just gotta love the Cayman in white !!
Closed Thread