BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

EXXEL Distributions

08-30-2013, 10:10 PM   #1
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

DIY: Steering Angle Sensor fix cross-post from E90post

Got the hill start assist inactive, DSC inactive, and cruise inactive, and no auto-reset on the turn signals, happened intermittently and then permanently in the course of a few hot days. Apparently this is fault 94BE though I did not check codes I knew the symptoms would likely be the SZL . This is a ~$500 part so not a fun bill to pay if you don't have to, and not something you can just walk down to wally world and get either. So knowing this was a potential E90 issue, I went and found this:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=520467

and cleared it right up, all I did was clean the encoder disc, I did not resolder anything. Will report back if the issue returns.

I would note that you should cover your M trim with something, the coating is very soft and will scratch easily. Mine was wearing at the touch points anyway so now I'm definitely replacing it.

Funny, the car hit 50,000 miles this week, the BMW "out of warranty" doomsday timer must have run out. It's been out of warranty for about a year and this is the first issue (of many more to come, I'm sure) that has come up

Just a friendly FYI for those searching here but not the E90 forums, as this issue is common to all E9x chassis cars (crud on the encoder disc)

Last edited by Richbot; 08-30-2013 at 10:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

I had this problem. I did that fix. It cleared it up for about a month. Came back, and kept coming back.

I just swapped in a used on and re-coded it. No problems after 7 months.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
The E60 had a recall to replace the optical element that reads the steering angle from the disc. The parts look the same. I wonder if the repair kit would correct the E90 issues as well?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #4
Richbot
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw135er View Post
The E60 had a recall to replace the optical element that reads the steering angle from the disc. The parts look the same. I wonder if the repair kit would correct the E90 issues as well?
I believe there is a PUMA measure on this for the E9x as well. But when parts are a week away and you want to use your cruise control, this is handy
      11-29-2013, 06:58 AM   #5
Richbot
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw135er View Post
I believe there is a PUMA measure on this for the E9x as well. But when parts are a week away and you want to use your cruise control, this is handy
No issues 4000 miles and 4 mo later
      03-25-2016, 12:11 PM   #6
al330
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

DSC Module, SAS or ????

Sorry to drudge up an old thread but I need some help determining the root cause of some warning lights. I have a 2006 330i sedan, auto trans. I have the following warning lights illuminated: Stability Control, Yellow Handbrake light and Tire Pressure light. The ABS light is NOT illuminated. My cruise control is NOT functioning, it gives an error when I try to use. My wipers, turn signals and everything else on stalk and steering wheel work fine. Checked all fuses, none were bad. I replaced the right rear wheel speed sensor, did not fix issue. I removed the SAS unit and cleaned the code disk and optical sensor, did not fix issue. I hooked car up to INPA and DIS to recalibrate SAS but I get errors (one saying something about a wheel balancer and another saying it cannot communicate with DSC module). Thinking my DSC module died, I took car out in the snow and tested the ABS. The ABS works. The SAS and DSC modules are super expensive so I don’t want to spend a ton of money on guesses. Has anyone had this issue and been able to successfully resolve? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 02:47 PM   #7
davesaddiction
is fast cars
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT SSII BPM Stg II

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrakBch View Post
I had this problem. I did that fix. It cleared it up for about a month. Came back, and kept coming back.

I just swapped in a used on and re-coded it. No problems after 7 months.
Thanks to OP and you for sharing this information.

I cracked open my steering wheel, and unfortunately my encoder disc looked shiny and new, so I'll need to replace the part.

What did BMW charge to re-code it? Or did you manage to do it yourself somehow?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 11:12 PM   #8
Richbot
Major General
Rep

Unhelpful for Dave, but it's been nearly 3 years since this thread was started and the issue has not returned for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 09:17 PM   #9
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesaddiction View Post
Thanks to OP and you for sharing this information.

I cracked open my steering wheel, and unfortunately my encoder disc looked shiny and new, so I'll need to replace the part.

What did BMW charge to re-code it? Or did you manage to do it yourself somehow?
I worked for a BMW dealership at the time. So cost to me was Zero.

If you go to a dealership expect the hour minimum. Depending on your car and the origin of the part coding the SZL can be 45 minutes or several hours. Mine took two. My car is a 2008 E92M3, and the donor part came from a 2013 E93M3.

A coder or if you have access to it yourself can do this. I know Mike Benvo @ BPMsport offered to do it for me remotely.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 10:52 AM   #10
davesaddiction
is fast cars
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT SSII BPM Stg II

Thanks for the reply - I've worked with Mike before, so I might just go that way.

Mine's an '08 E90.

Just to confirm, part # 61319123048, correct?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 02:24 PM   #11
Richbot
Major General
Rep

Update, SZL still not throwing codes on my car.
      03-01-2022, 11:24 AM   #12
virtual_law
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 e93 335i auto stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Update, SZL still not throwing codes on my car.
Can I just say posts like these are a breath of fresh air.

So my journey involved having the DME changed recently and suspension replaced.

The car returned with the trifecta of lights, DSC, DBC, ABS, etc. I dove into the steering with mega-hopes. Cleaned the angle sensor disc and lens, but the problem remained.

Then I tried coding to see perhaps the workshop that did the DME change messed something up maybe.

I first "default-coded" DSC using NCS expert (as described by sd********* here https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...3#post28640453).

Then I went into Tools32 to reinitialize Steering Angle Sensor. There's a "ding" when you execute this. Momentarily, the warning lights disappeared, but as soon as I touched the steering wheel slightly, they reappeared.

Codes I'm getting are as follows:
5E43 Lenkwinkelsensor intern. (aka Steering Angle Sensor Internal)
5E44 Lenkwinkelsensor hat die Initialisierung verloren (aka Steering Angle Sensor Lost Initialization)
D373 F-CAN SWA-Top-Sensor Botschaft 200 oder 201 fehlt (aka top sensor msg 200 or 201 missing)
94BE - F-CAN SZL Lenkwinkelsensor : Sensorfehler - LWS_Winkelpraediktion Codescheibe defekt. (aka Steering Angle Sensor Sensor error: LWS_angle prediction code disk defective)
94B6 - F-CAN SZL Lenkwinkelsensor : Sensorfehler - Winkelsprung zu gross. (steering angle sensor sensor error, angle jump too large)

Given how specific these codes are, I'm inclined to change the disc with the recommended part numbers: 83192179894

Or is there some other DIY I can try? Have to admit, really enjoying playing with this thing. The car is a 2007 e93 335i RHD.
Appreciate 0