BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

Mporium BMW

11-30-2009, 04:38 PM   #89
schadenfreude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M-DCT M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [0.00]
Any update on the exhaust setup? I'm thinking about getting the akra/fabspeed combo, so I'm looking forward to your review.
      11-30-2009, 06:05 PM   #90
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Sorry for the delay : )

I'm hoping to get some video of the exhaust this weekend. Overall, I love it, but I keep throwing codes due to the fabspeed. I'm working with WheelSTO (reseller) to see what my options are now.

The Akra slip-on is definitely louder than the stock axle back, but the sound is more uniform. It is bassy and aggressive, but there is some resonance at startup. This resonance goes away once the car is heated up - about 2 mins. If you live in an apartment or condo, this might be dramatic in the early AM. I might have some small leaks down there, or this may simply be how this will sound. My guess is that it is very close to the "normal" sound of this combo.

With the windows up, you can still hear the exhaust, but it is not overwhelming at all. If you drive the car awkwardly, in bizarre RPM/load combos, you can get some hum and additional volume. I really wouldn't call it a resonance because it doesn't really shake the car or bother your ears. With the windows down, the car is fairly loud, but still sounds great. One is still able to control the volume if you are driving in a nice area, parking garage, whatever. It is not crazy loud all the time like some race exhausts.

The sound of revving the car is simply amazing. It sounds similar to the full Akra setup, but there is definitely additional volume and a touch more raciness - I like it better than the vids I've heard. You can hear how unique this engine is; the exhaust enhances it IMHO. If I could just get this CEL issue sorted, it would be the perfect exhaust for me. Something tells me I'm not going to find a solution to the fabspeed problem though and I will have to chose to live with the CEL, or put the primary cats back in.

One issue my installer did run into is that the slip fitting for the fabspeed kept leaking. This is the joint where their HFCs meet their xpipe. After struggling with it for a couple of hours, they decided to tig weld it. I also have to get under the car to check for a potential leak - I saw some exhaust accumulation on the xpipe. I'm not sure if the X is leaking, or if it is something upstream. I was hoping to get to this on the weekend, but getting the winter setup on was more important.

There is my mini-review for you : ) Please ask whatever is on your mind!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 06:48 PM   #91
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

nice!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 12:32 AM   #92
Singletrack
United_States
Rep

Winter is coming...

At least it feels that way in Pittsburgh tonight ; )

Here are some pics I took in February 2010. Paint on hood vent surround and honeycomb by IND.

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 01:29 AM   #93
NYCMCBM3
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 MCB E92 M3

Nice car bro, love the hood vents, how much were they?
      09-11-2010, 02:45 PM   #94
Singletrack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NycE93M3 View Post
Nice car bro, love the hood vents, how much were they?
Thanks. I'm honestly not sure because my wife bought them for me for Christmas! ; ) Ilia, Nate, or Andrew will respond within a day or two if you request a quote via PM or email. Give them a shout!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 10:36 AM   #95
Boosted-M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535D XDrive (USA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
One issue my installer did run into is that the slip fitting for the fabspeed kept leaking. This is the joint where their HFCs meet their xpipe. After struggling with it for a couple of hours, they decided to tig weld it. I also have to get under the car to check for a potential leak - I saw some exhaust accumulation on the xpipe. I'm not sure if the X is leaking, or if it is something upstream. I was hoping to get to this on the weekend, but getting the winter setup on was more important.

There is my mini-review for you : ) Please ask whatever is on your mind!

I have the same issue with my Fabspeed X Pipe with HFC's.. They said to made sure the pipe slides in ALL THE WAY.. I did re-check and there was room to slide in more.. Unfortunately it still leaks a bit.. I tried some exhaust sealer but that didnt really help.. Guess I will take it off and TIG as well
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 10:57 AM   #96
Singletrack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted-M View Post
I have the same issue with my Fabspeed X Pipe with HFC's.. They said to made sure the pipe slides in ALL THE WAY.. I did re-check and there was room to slide in more.. Unfortunately it still leaks a bit.. I tried some exhaust sealer but that didnt really help.. Guess I will take it off and TIG as well
Those style connections are never perfect IMHO. I like the connections on the new AA pipe and the new challenge pipes better, but they weren't available when I bought the fabspeed.

It might still be setting up. Sometimes the small leaks get sorted when everything settles into place.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 10:58 AM   #97
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
car looks great, best color yet!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 05:05 PM   #98
Singletrack
United_States
Rep

Update - 12/17/11

Just a quick update on changes to the car and some current pics of the summer setup:

-LUX led corona replacements
-LCI tail lights from ECS; did the coding myself with laptop and internet
-Turner Motorsports 12.5mm spacers on all corners (these are, IMHO, the best spacers on the market)
-MS SII intake from IND
-Akrapovic CF tips from IND
-Evolve Automotive tune - still need to do some testing in the spring, but very impressed so far : )
-Deleted chrome license plate trim and got new plate - I actually like the PA plates
-Misc coding like disabling the yellow corner lights when the headlights are on...

Items waiting to be installed:

-IND painted SSII BMW performance spoiler (I'm lazy I guess?)

I think that's it...any questions let me know!

Some pics of the car from my buddy with a G4 at the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix and car show. It was literally like 95F with and high humidity that day. Absolutely brutal. But there were girls in dirndls serving us free beer at the Spaten tent - free for BMW CCA members. Best club ever?

....bonus pics!

A couple pics with my point and shoot SD3500IS....

Next up is a little project with IND on the X side of the house : )

Have a great weekend. Go Steelers! ; )

PS for more info:

http://www.pvgp.org/
http://www.alleghenybmwcca.org/

Last edited by Singletrack; 01-06-2012 at 06:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 11:41 PM   #99
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Very tasteful, looking really good! Nice job!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 12:11 AM   #100
Powerbeast
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 RarriRot

Sick man very nice
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 05:35 PM   #101
Singletrack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denk View Post
Very tasteful, looking really good! Nice job!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerbeast View Post
Sick man very nice
Thanks gents - appreciate it!

Thinking of a debadge on the trunk when I add the spoiler to tone it down as I tone up the downforce and styling ; )

Still on the fence, but leaning towards it...thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 05:38 PM   #102
Its_lobelt
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Great looking car.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 06:09 PM   #103
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
Looking good
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 06:49 PM   #104
Mike Lu
Z
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [2.00]
2009 BMW/M3  [10.00]
Would you mind sharing how you code LCI youself ? Did you have some one remotely code for you ?
Challenge V-weave Front Lip & Mirror Caps | WSTO painted AW front grill & Mag Blue side grill & Mag Blue Tow Hook & Mag Blue mirror inner ring | Te-37 Mag Blue wrapped with R-S3 | Kreissieg F1 exhaust & X-pipe | KW V3 | Vortex EVO X GT-wing | Tinted LCI taillight | Nadi steering wheel & IND shift extension |
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 07:38 PM   #105
Dellort_M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Nice car. Tastefully modded!

May I ask you how you went upon obtaining the new cf tips. Did you just buy them straight up, cause that is $$$$$. Or did you trade + some cash. Where are your Ti tips.
2011 Alpine White/Fox Red 6MT E92 M3 | Active Stage 2 w/Meth | KW Clubsport | OSS | Challenge Front Lip | Vorsteiner Type 2 Rear Diffuser and Bootlid | Brembo | Recaro | Akrapovic Slip-On | Challenge Race+ X-Pipe | Vossen CV3 | OEM 359M | TE37SL
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 09:36 PM   #106
Singletrack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB_S2K View Post
Great looking car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
Looking good
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lu View Post
Would you mind sharing how you code LCI youself ? Did you have some one remotely code for you ?
Just do a search for "bmw coding" on google and you should find hits for this web site and others. I posted everything that I learned during the process! Yes, did it myself with a windows xp laptop and a cable purchased off internet : ) Just PM me if you have problems finding what you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellort_M3 View Post
Nice car. Tastefully modded!

May I ask you how you went upon obtaining the new cf tips. Did you just buy them straight up, cause that is $$$$$. Or did you trade + some cash. Where are your Ti tips.
Thanks!

I actually kidnapped someone of interest to IND, then ransomed them back to them in exchange for the tips : P

They are stupid expensive, but yes I did buy them. My titanium ones were sitting in my garage until I was satisfied with the change. Now they are sitting there because I'm too lazy to clean them and sell them. You interested? : )
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 09:45 PM   #107
OC ///M
Dr. Octagon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Moonstone e92 M3

Nice work. I enjoyed seeing the progression all on one thread.

I have a shot of my SSII debadged w/ the painted spoiler that you can check to help make your decision. I will find and upload asap.

FWIW- I ended up re-badging because it made me feel more OEM...

2013 E92 M3 Individual
Sold: 2011 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Into a Wall: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2007 E92 335i JB
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 09:55 PM   #108
Singletrack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC ///M View Post
Nice work. I enjoyed seeing the progression all on one thread.

I have a shot of my SSII debadged w/ the painted spoiler that you can check to help make your decision. I will find and upload asap.

FWIW- I ended up re-badging because it made me feel more OEM...
Thanks - I like both styles that people do - all in one thread, and the big announcements also. Pros and cons to each I guess.

Cool - look forward to the pic.

I love the M badge. I think it is one of the most beautiful car badges ever, which is really the only reason it has lived this long on the car. Not to mention the obvious, proud racing heritage. Typically I like cars without badges. Also was considering adding an M frame to the plate in the middle, but I really like the floating PA plate as-is. Also considered having IND do the M colors in pinstripe on the spoiler - decided against it initially; maybe it makes more sense now without the M3 badge...

I know what you mean about OEM-look though. There is a balance to be struck depending on what you want out of the car ; )
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 12:52 PM   #109
Singletrack
United_States
Rep

Performance spoiler painted by IND FINALLY going on!

...and I have to say, this install is a bitch. OEM spoiler had been on since 9/08, and you could tell. It was the worst debaging/removal jobs I've ever done. Even with heat and solvents, it was really tough. The paint also required a fair amount of correction because the OEM spoiler has a gap before it hits the tape that holds it on, so hard water and contaminants can pool in there and damage the clear. The good news is that you don't really have to correct all the paint because the performance spoiler covers about 75% of any damage left by the factory spoiler. Took like 3 passes by hand with Meg's 105, but in retrospect, I should have just busted out the porter and been done with it in 60 seconds.

...another comment I would add is that K1 dries to a hard rubber consistency. So it isn't entirely accurate that items applied with it cannot be removed; they will just be very hard to remove. Also found a guy on the e90 post section here that was able to remove his spoiler - took him 3 hours : O

The sides are on incredibly well, but my spoiler was not a great fit to be honest - took a fair amount of work to get it to sit right and it still isn't perfect. Specifically it was close to impossible to get it to sit properly on the sides AND in the middle. Still, I think it will be about 98% when cured. Will post additional gotchas when I have the finished product and can analyze what I could have done better and if there are any problems.

I also de-badged the back. Once I mocked up the spoiler, the back was too busy for me, but I'm a minimalist. Much more aggressive and exotic looking from the rear now IMHO.

Have a great day folks!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #110
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

Garage List
Looking good as always

Any plans to swap out the OEM chrome grills to match the Gloss black accents?

*Also noticed that you blocked out your plate all the other pictures but the last one you posted... Just a heads up

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0