BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

BPM

04-14-2009, 12:18 PM   #23
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiman View Post
Does it need to be?
Yes. The best programs are periodized in some way. They are also personalized not cookie cutter.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 12:27 PM   #24
jaiman
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_Light View Post
Yes. The best programs are periodized in some way. They are also personalized not cookie cutter.
I'll have to disagree. I've personally seen far better results from Crossfit than with any other program. And I've had access to some high caliber coaching though out my life.

My thesis would be that the best fitness (and greatest caloric burn) will come from compound movements with heavy weights, sprints, body weight exercises and the occasional lsd cardio session. If you agree with that, there really isn't that much personalisation to be done.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 12:33 PM   #25
Andrew@ET
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Red thing

Try P90x im loving it
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 01:45 PM   #26
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'll have to disagree. I've personally seen far better results from Crossfit than with any other program. And I've had access to some high caliber coaching though out my life.

My thesis would be that the best fitness (and greatest caloric burn) will come from compound movements with heavy weights, sprints, body weight exercises and the occasional lsd cardio session. If you agree with that, there really isn't that much personalisation to be done.
If you like crossfit, go for it. I will not discourage physical activity as there are far too may inactive people.

There are potential reasons why you are getting better results from crossfit than other training methodologies you have tried. You are putting more effort into it than before. You weren't well versed with execution of your previous programs. You like being part of a team. You are more consistent with your training than before. You're paying for training. Your diet has improved.

High caliber coaching is certainly relative to your experience. If I stopped playing sports in HS, I would have thought my HS coaches were high caliber. It turns out they had their heads up their asses.

The best programs are personalized and periodized. Crossfit is neither. There are numerous imbalances that are fostered by society's postural issues. Not addressing the imbalance of the individual within a training program results in poor recruitment of fibers due to compensation, improper movement patterns, and an environment for injury. You must constantly assess and attack tightness, weakness, and imbalance if your program is worth a grain of salt.

In addition because I do lab testing on my clients for internal stressor, I understand that many trainees are already too stressed and doing a one size fits all program does not allow them to adjust workouts for their stress level. Exercise is a stressor and must be treated as one. Sometimes less is more.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 02:07 PM   #27
jaiman
Captain
Rep

Quote:
If you like crossfit, go for it. I will not discourage physical activity as there are far too may inactive people.

There are potential reasons why you are getting better results from crossfit than other training methodologies you have tried. You are putting more effort into it than before. You weren't well versed with execution of your previous programs. You like being part of a team. You are more consistent with your training than before. You're paying for training. Your diet has improved.

High caliber coaching is certainly relative to your experience. If I stopped playing sports in HS, I would have thought my HS coaches were high caliber. It turns out they had their heads up their asses.

The best programs are personalized and periodized. Crossfit is neither. There are numerous imbalances that are fostered by society's postural issues. Not addressing the imbalance of the individual within a training program results in poor recruitment of fibers due to compensation, improper movement patterns, and an environment for injury. You must constantly assess and attack tightness, weakness, and imbalance if your program is worth a grain of salt.

In addition because I do lab testing on my clients for internal stressor, I understand that many trainees are already too stressed and doing a one size fits all program does not allow them to adjust workouts for their stress level. Exercise is a stressor and must be treated as one. Sometimes less is more.
High caliber to me is people who have coached athletes at the olympic level.

You should try Crossfit for a few months and see how it works for you.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 02:26 PM   #28
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
High caliber to me is people who have coached athletes at the olympic level.

You should try Crossfit for a few months and see how it works for you.
I highly doubt your Olympic caliber coach(es) would recommend crossfit.

Crossfit would go against my training goals. People who understand exercise science understand that crossfit is not based on science. Would love to see how they come up with WODs.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 03:08 PM   #29
jaiman
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I highly doubt your Olympic caliber coach(es) would recommend crossfit.

Crossfit would go against my training goals. People who understand exercise science understand that crossfit is not based on science. Would love to see how they come up with WODs.
There is a pretty extensive article that covers the creation of the WOD and the scheduling.

Ahh, you are a scientist. Where did you study? Which journals do you read?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 03:49 PM   #30
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There is a pretty extensive article that covers the creation of the WOD and the scheduling.

Ahh, you are a scientist. Where did you study? Which journals do you read?
Journal of Sport Science and Medicine
Journal of Strength and Conditioning

I went to undergrad at Central Michigan University. Back on topic.
Appreciate 0