BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #67
coolcobramatt
I like turtles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is Lemans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesaddiction View Post
If you're on the fence, consider the ~500 lbs you'd be adding to an already portly package.

I honestly feel like it ruins the nice, clean profile line of the coupe, too.
I was thinking the opposite...coupe ruins the lines of the vert lol.

Seriously though, as a long-time mustang fanatic, I switched over to a vert back in 1990 when soft tops were just coming back into fashion. 23 years and 15 verts laters, I'll never go back to a hardtop.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 11:53 AM   #68
fongpi
Jedi Poltergeist
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 6MT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD-E93-11 View Post
No one says you have to drive with the top-down all the time, but if you enjoy it at all and can swing the cost-difference, then why would you eliminate that option?

You can be that guy in the more distinctive and much better-looking top-dawg M3; with the v8 un-muted and the wind in your hair.

Or you can be that guy in the ubiquitous e92/e90, wishing he could put the top down on a nice day, and who is just hoping his car isn't confused for the new Kia Optima. If you had any inclination to buy one but didn't, then you'll also be wishing you got the e93 every time you see one.
Haha true but the two tone m3 with CF roof is something that I wish could be retained!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 10:01 PM   #69
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckham23 View Post
I've got my chrome trim vinyl-wrapped to matte black...you are right, I don't like the chrome trim...
can you recommend a nor-cal shop for vinyl-wrapping?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 12:15 AM   #70
XR_SIX
Bading-dong!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11.5 E93 M3 AW, '09 R6

Garage List
2011.5 E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Why not DIY? If i can do it, so can you.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 12:45 AM   #71
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR_SIX View Post
Why not DIY? If i can do it, so can you.
I live in a downtown san jose condo building with a ramp and no space to do any type of work.

But that's more of an excuse since I'm too lazy and impatient for any of that.

Last edited by GrussGott; 09-21-2012 at 12:47 AM.. Reason: Typos
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 01:21 AM   #72
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
Sounds like you already found the magic seat position if her skirt was flying up?
seriously

do share do share
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 02:30 PM   #73
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

I wish this was a poll. My GF really wants a convertible but I don't think she will ever put the top down. I would be interested to see who is right here.
      09-21-2012, 08:40 PM   #74
muccels
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e93,C5,Tahoe,Gsxr750

So my first M3 was a comp E46 and thought about a convertible but my buddy talked me out of it. He mentioned how the rear looked different and not as clean. So bought it and loved my car but he would loan me his car from time to time. After driving his car with the top town, music playing and his exhuast sound with the 4.10 gears I was sold on a convertible! So after selling my E46 what did I buy a used E93!! Love the car even though I don't drive it very much. When I do drive it the top is always down unless company in the car dictates otherwise.
I guess the benefits of living in California is the weather is livable with the top down almost year round. I also have a C5 convertible as a commuter and the top stays down unless its raining or below high 40's. With heated seats, wind deflector and the heater its not bad at all. Like someone else mentioned it feels so good and a great drving experience to have the top down. Its kinda like those that ride a motorcylce feeling the openess to the weather conditions and ride. I think if i were a track guy which some guys do here I would buy a car for the track only. Sure you can use your car for the track but if you rely on it daily and you mess your car up then your jacked. Also how often people actually track their car if not often enough doesn't justify not getting a convertible because of the extra weight. If your in a racing circuit or competing then yes every advantage you need. Otherwise maybe bragging rights at the best. Everyone though has their own reasons as individuals. When I feel maybe things aren't fast enough I just jump on the sportsbike and take off at a light and watch all the cars in my rear view mirror.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 04:04 AM   #75
Takumi587
///M3 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05' M3 and 21' Tesla Model 3

Garage List
I live in So Cal and have an e46 m3 and drop the top all the time. You will def. love it cruising down the PCH or to the Americana, Santa Monica Pier or even West Hollywood. However, during this summer i have sun block on and wearing just shorts and a polo... Seriously 85+ degree wheather with top down in stop and go traffic is no bueno...
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 09:20 AM   #76
ZooMMM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black/black E93 M

Went with E93 M here in North Jersey. Top down every chance I get >50% of the time. Plus: doesn't look as silly with top up compared to soft tops.
I do love the CF top and performance of E92 M. But I knew all along prior to purchase I'd never get track time or could afford it.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #77
khanyam4
Ring Leader of G8X Trolls
Cambodia
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooyorQ View Post
the best time to put the top down was on a hot summer day after sunset.. I do miss that.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #78
VMcV3y
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC; 2012 M3 Cabriolet

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
Seriously

I was considering a M6 until I found out it's a soft top... wtf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by muccels View Post
So my first M3 was a comp E46 and thought about a convertible but my buddy talked me out of it. He mentioned how the rear looked different and not as clean. So bought it and loved my car but he would loan me his car from time to time. After driving his car with the top town, music playing and his exhuast sound with the 4.10 gears I was sold on a convertible! So after selling my E46 what did I buy a used E93!! Love the car even though I don't drive it very much. When I do drive it the top is always down unless company in the car dictates otherwise.
I guess the benefits of living in California is the weather is livable with the top down almost year round. I also have a C5 convertible as a commuter and the top stays down unless its raining or below high 40's. With heated seats, wind deflector and the heater its not bad at all. Like someone else mentioned it feels so good and a great drving experience to have the top down. Its kinda like those that ride a motorcylce feeling the openess to the weather conditions and ride. I think if i were a track guy which some guys do here I would buy a car for the track only. Sure you can use your car for the track but if you rely on it daily and you mess your car up then your jacked. Also how often people actually track their car if not often enough doesn't justify not getting a convertible because of the extra weight. If your in a racing circuit or competing then yes every advantage you need. Otherwise maybe bragging rights at the best. Everyone though has their own reasons as individuals. When I feel maybe things aren't fast enough I just jump on the sportsbike and take off at a light and watch all the cars in my rear view mirror.
+1

2012 ///M3 Cabriolet; Le Mans Blue Metallic. >177k miles and still rocks!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 09:14 PM   #79
USMC M3
Devil Dog
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCB M3 View Post
you might want to search this topic as it has been asked before. I will let you know as an E93 owner in the Bay Area my top is dropped 90% of the time.
I realized that where I live I am very lucky as the temperatures are usually in the high 50's to low to mid 70's. However, if I venture out it can jump up to over 90 and when I drove to MFEST over 100 degrees.

When in high temperatures, in the high 90's and 100's in traffic, for me, it is much more comfortable with top up and AC cranked.

Last edited by USMC M3; 10-01-2012 at 09:14 PM.. Reason: misspell
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #80
cn235m3
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 Vert

Now that its not 118 degrees anymore my roof is almost always down. Even my 4 year old looks at other verts with the roof up and asks why they have a vert but don't put the roof down.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 07:04 AM   #81
Nuklball
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E93 6MT

Not a track guy, so performance is more than adequate in my e93. My first M (2004 e46) was a convertible and I had the top down as often as possible. Stepped up to an 2008 e92 and without a doubt loved it, but missed the therapy treatments I receive from a convertible. Back to top down driving in a 2010 e93. It's a bit chunkier than the coupe, but for me driving with my two boys with the top down is like a day at Disney. And let's not forget how great it sounds without that roof in the way!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #82
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuklball View Post
Not a track guy, so performance is more than adequate in my e93. My first M (2004 e46) was a convertible and I had the top down as often as possible. Stepped up to an 2008 e92 and without a doubt loved it, but missed the therapy treatments I receive from a convertible. Back to top down driving in a 2010 e93. It's a bit chunkier than the coupe, but for me driving with my two boys with the top down is like a day at Disney. And let's not forget how great it sounds without that roof in the way!
so given you've driven them both ... does the e93 drive more floaty compare to the e92? It just seems way more floaty and out-of-control feeling than my S4.

I've been trying to figure out if I'm adjusting to high rev, rear wheel, big arse or if the e93 is just a floaty beast.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 05:10 PM   #83
muccels
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e93,C5,Tahoe,Gsxr750

Did it myself in my garage, well not vinyl wrapping but plastic dip. Its not perfect especially up close but I can always take it off or do a better job. I still have to do the rear..
$6 a can, blue painters tape, some newspaper and time..

Quote:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 07:39 PM   #84
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcobramatt View Post
I was thinking the opposite...coupe ruins the lines of the vert lol.

Seriously though, as a long-time mustang fanatic, I switched over to a vert back in 1990 when soft tops were just coming back into fashion. 23 years and 15 verts laters, I'll never go back to a hardtop.
The E93 is in my opinion the best looking 4 seat retractable hardtop on the market. The others such as the Lexus and the Infiniti look very out of proportion with the roof up,

CA
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 07:49 PM   #85
desertfox73
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 / 2018 F85

Love the vert...first one I've ever owned. I wasn't sure when I bought it, but it is perfect for me. The added bonus is that its coming up to that time of year when my fiancée and I like to drop the top, put a couple of blankets in the car, and drive around at night looking at Christmas lights. My nephews love it...no better way to go IMO.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 08:06 PM   #86
Nuklball
United_States
Rep

Quote:
so given you've driven them both ... does the e93 drive more floaty compare to the e92? It just seems way more floaty and out-of-control feeling than my S4.

I've been trying to figure out if I'm adjusting to high rev, rear wheel, big arse or if the e93 is just a floaty beast.

Thoughts?
It's not quite as quick as the coupe, but I don't feel it's floaty or boaty. When I bought the e93 it had stock 19's and Continental tires and I was used to Pilot PS2's. First change I made, was BBS wheels and back to the PS2's albeit a little wider (275 rear, 255 front). Much better immediately, the side to side response is much better than those awful Conti's. You seem to feel the convertible is a bit sloppy? I almost bought an 05 S4 back a ways and I thought the M3 was a much better drivers car..maybe the newer S4 has improved?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 08:41 PM   #87
Dave2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuklball View Post
It's not quite as quick as the coupe, but I don't feel it's floaty or boaty. When I bought the e93 it had stock 19's and Continental tires and I was used to Pilot PS2's. First change I made, was BBS wheels and back to the PS2's albeit a little wider (275 rear, 255 front). Much better immediately, the side to side response is much better than those awful Conti's. You seem to feel the convertible is a bit sloppy? I almost bought an 05 S4 back a ways and I thought the M3 was a much better drivers car..maybe the newer S4 has improved?
Mine came with the Pirelli's . The handling was OK, but they were completely worn out a 6K miles.

Then came the Pilot Super Sports. The handling was much better. Then came the Dinan stage 2 suspension. The Dinan made a significant improvement in handling; quicker turn-in and less understeer.

I do not find it floaty at all. I find it to be well connected to the road.
      10-20-2012, 08:59 PM   #88
Nuklball
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2 View Post
Mine came with the Pirelli's . The handling was OK, but they were completely worn out a 6K miles.

Then came the Pilot Super Sports. The handling was much better. Then came the Dinan stage 2 suspension. The Dinan made a significant improvement in handling; quicker turn-in and less understeer.

I do not find it floaty at all. I find it to be well connected to the road.
I would like to drive it with the suspension mods. I find putting my right foot into it allows for a graceful amount of turn in and never find the car plowing. Still, it weighs 4100+ lbs and at that weight I doubt there's much out there that turns as well. It's an M3 and the top goes down, the combo for me works.
Appreciate 0