BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

01-20-2009, 09:50 PM   #1
techimo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i

M3 drawbacks

I posted this as a reply to another thread but thought it would be interesting for M3 owners to weigh in. I asked a couple questions about 335i vs M3 if M3 = $3k more and the answer was always M3 all the way, instead of "you have to get the car that's right for you"..which assumes that the M3 is always superior for everyone. But, I have gripes with the M3 even though I know it's the better car all around, which could push me towards a 335i regardless:

Note: these impressions were based on a 10 minute test drive only and could be way off and that's why I'm looking for feedback. I'm renting an M3 for 24 hours for a much more thorough test:

-M hood bump annoys me while driving. My preferred position is closer to the wheel to reach the clutch and highish, so the bump is accentuated since the hood is well in my view.

-Fat M steering wheel annoys me, I don't have gorilla hands

-The V8 engine noise while cool at first, and cool at 8,000 RPM when you're hauling ass at full throttle, isn't necessarily what I want to hear every minute of every drive. Personally, I'd rather have silent and explosive power i.e. a tesla roadster.

-I like acceleration and effortless speed. I can cruise along in my e46 330i at 100 and it's nothing. The 335i feels similar. The M3 at 100 to me, doesn't feel as luxury or effortless at 100.. It feels like a raw race car at that speed, not a luxury-sports car.

-The more available torque in the 335i @ 1300rpm means that I can get a 6MT and fudge the shifting when I feel lazy while driving around at less stressful lower RPM levels if I feel like it and still have power without having to be in just the right gear at the right speed always.

-I have no desire to track the car-- anyone that buys an M3 and hits the track with no pro-training or driving experience is asking for a spectacular and very embarassing wreck. Just search youtube for m3 crash. The M3 is spectacular but can easily exceed a newbie track driver's limits.

-M3=200miles on a tank & 15mpg. I detest Escalades/hummers/heavy oil users and polluters so this is a big deal to me.

-I don't want people screwing with me on the freeway, constantly trying to race me, saying shit to me in parking lots, keying my car, or anything else. I'm 30 but I look 20, so I have to deal with the young looking M3 owner issues from other peoples envy/jealousy/anger, I don't want speeding tickets from bully-cops (not one ticket in 9 years of driving a 323Ci then 330i at a constant 90mph all over the bay area freeways and no radar detector) and I want to maintain a low profile.

So.. While I'm quite sure that the M3 is the superior car, it isn't necessarily right for everyone and thus this isn't just about economics. BUT... I know very well that all of my above bitching might fly out the door after spending 24 hours driving the M3 around .

Last edited by techimo; 01-24-2009 at 12:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 09:54 PM   #2
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Yawnnn.....
      01-20-2009, 09:58 PM   #3
camaross305
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

you posted here y then????

Its very cliche but if you test drove both cars and cant see spending the extra money on the M well then this car is not for you and frankly dont deserve it.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 10:01 PM   #4
techimo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaross305 View Post
you posted here y then????

Its very cliche but if you test drove both cars and cant see spending the extra money well then this car is not for you and frankly dont deserve it.
Because I'm curious if M owners felt the same way and then all that went out the door once they owned the car, or if I'm off base, or if M owners just don't care about those things..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 10:03 PM   #5
techimo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Its very cliche but if you test drove both cars and cant see spending the extra money on the M well then this car is not for you and frankly dont deserve it.
It's a car, not the congressional medal of honor to be earned. If it doesn't wow me after a 24 hour drive then no, I wouldn't spend the extra $ on it. A 10 minute test drive with 1 freeway on ramp was only enough of a taste to leave me with questions not answers.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 10:11 PM   #6
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by techimo View Post
I posted this as a reply to another thread but thought it would be interesting for M3 owners to weigh in. I asked a couple questions about 335i vs M3 if M3 = $3k more and the answer was always M3 all the way, instead of "you have to get the car that's right for you"..which assumes that the M3 is always superior for everyone. But, I have gripes with the M3 even though I know it's the better car all around, which could push me towards a 335i regardless:
The list of things that you don't like about the M3 says to me that you'd very likely be happier with the 335i. I think you should only buy an M3 if you get in it and love it immediately. Here in Denver, a 335ix probably made more sense for my daily driving, but I knew that I'd autocross and I prefer rear drive to 4-wheel drive in the summer.

If your decision is based on your own preferences then I think that you should buy the 335i.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 10:17 PM   #7
camaross305
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
It's a car, not the congressional medal of honor to be earned. If it doesn't wow me after a 24 hour drive then no, I wouldn't spend the extra $ on it. A 10 minute test drive with 1 freeway on ramp was only enough of a taste to leave me with questions not answers.
Well i had a 335i.... i had full coilover suspension, tune, downpipes, etc., etc.
The car put down 395rwhp.

I parted out the car and sold it the first time I test drove an m3. The 335i is a nice car but the feel of it is nothing like an m3. No matter how much you spend on a 335i its not going to feel like an M.

Thats not to mention stock for stock the M blows it away in handling and power. Thats worth the extra 15k alone. Then the appearence is wayyyyyy better. Not to mention the leather, EDC, etc., etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 10:19 PM   #8
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 10:24 PM   #9
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Seriously Guys....
      01-20-2009, 10:35 PM   #10
eeeboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08M3 Space Gray DCT

weird...everything you complained about is the reason I bought the M3.
except for the gas mileage...lol
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 10:35 PM   #11
TwoSaints
Second Lieutenant
Brazil
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

ok, so uh, don't buy it? You're right, it doesn't sound like the car for you. Honestly, all the things you say you don't like about the car is what I enjoy about it. You really don't like the steering wheel? Anyway, you're right about cruising at 100 mph and it feeling very "active" but why would you want to cruise at 100 for any length of time (other than short bursts). So if you're saying you can drive faster, for longer in the 335i with more comfort and greater ease, then look at a Merc or something, maybe a lincoln?

Gas mileage? I get almost 300 to the tank (you don't alway have to drive like a racer) but honestly if you want to go "Green" then there are other cars that can better fulfill your needs than any BMW. Actually, if you buy American your carbon foot print will be MUCH less than buying any foreign built car.

I just look at the 335i how I used to view the honda civic Si. When I owned one, I always wanted it to be a Type R. It was nice, but I always new there was one better out there for not that much more. Either way it was a good car and I enjoyed it. So, get your 335i, know that you could have gotten the M if you wanted one, and when you see one you can look at it without regret as you seem to have really thought this through.

/rant
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 10:37 PM   #12
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
If you can find that much "flaws" in the M, then you should get the 335. Throw on a bunch of bolt-ons and you'll have a nice handling car that fits your need.
      01-20-2009, 10:38 PM   #13
TwoSaints
Second Lieutenant
Brazil
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
If you can find that much "flaws" in the M, then you should get the 335. Throw on a bunch of bolt-ons and you'll have a nice handling car that fits your need.
that no longer has a warrantee...
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 10:46 PM   #14
Kev
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoSaints View Post
The minute you put any "performance" mods, even just springs, it's the same deal. What difference does it make at the end? I can take out my Vishnu V3 on the 335 but I can't take out my AA tune on the M3. Guess which one is more convenient? So, that's not the point.
      01-20-2009, 10:47 PM   #15
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoSaints View Post

Stick with Dinan and you can end up with a pretty hot 335i, with a full warranty. Many BMW dealers will do the install for you.

I'll probably pull the trigger on the 4.10 rear end and throttle bodies for my brand new M3, next week. There's no warranty concern and, once it's approved by BMW, I'll add a Dinan chip.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 10:53 PM   #16
Kev
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Stick with Dinan and you can end up with a pretty hot 335i, with a full warranty. Many BMW dealers will do the install for you.

I'll probably pull the trigger on the 4.10 rear end and throttle bodies for my brand new M3, next week. There's no warranty concern and, once it's approved by BMW, I'll add a Dinan chip.

Dave
Be careful of what you mean by full warranty. Once you have a Dinan part installed, that means that part of the BMW warranty can be voided if the problem came from the Dinan part. Then, Dinan would pick up the tab. Otherwise, there are situations where you can spend days / nights arguing with the stealership and BMW NA to get something covered under warranty.
      01-20-2009, 11:05 PM   #17
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

-M hood bump annoys me while driving. My preferred position is closer to the wheel to reach the clutch and highish, so the bump is accentuated since the hood is well in my view.

-Fat M steering wheel annoys me, I don't have gorilla hands
Are you a midget?

Quote:
-The V8 engine noise while cool at first, and cool at 8,000 RPM when you're hauling ass at full throttle, isn't necessarily what I want to hear every minute of every drive. Personally, I'd rather have silent and explosive power i.e. a tesla roadster.
Are a woman?

He doesn't like the sound of the V8. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 11:07 PM   #18
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Well i had a 335i.... i had full coilover suspension, tune, downpipes, etc., etc.
The car put down 395rwhp.

I parted out the car and sold it the first time I test drove an m3. The 335i is a nice car but the feel of it is nothing like an m3. No matter how much you spend on a 335i its not going to feel like an M.
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 11:13 PM   #19
techimo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Metak View Post
Seriously Guys....
Thought this forum was for M3 discussion, not just diehard M3 fans. Questioning the almighty M3 doesn't make me a troll nor does me being new to this forum...

Appreciate the helpful responses.. I'm looking forward to 24 hours in the M3. I think maybe my test drive was too short and too tame a ride with the salesguy to appreciate all that the M3 offers.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 11:13 PM   #20
Genro757
///M-Flight VP
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Frozen Red Edition E92 M3

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Because I'm curious if M owners felt the same way and then all that went out the door once they owned the car, or if I'm off base, or if M owners just don't care about those things..
Nope...sorry...I dont feel the same way as you do...I love my gas guzzling, screaming V8...the way I look at it...if you cant afford the gas for your car...and complain about its gas mileage...then why buy that car? Global warming....yeah...thats BS....come live in Germany....not warm at all here right now...

Last edited by Genro757; 01-21-2009 at 01:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 11:17 PM   #21
Stunnerable
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nissan Rogue, 09 Jet Black M3

You obviously don't "get" the M3. It's a passion not a car. It's for people that truly understand it's purpose. You mentioned how it feels hard edged at 100MPH.. Are you kidding? This is the softest edged M3 EVER! You seem to be the guy that has money and wants the best BMW and found out you need to be an enthusiast to love one. Thank you BMW! I think you just proved you are still making cars for drivers.

Buy a Benz dude.

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 11:20 PM   #22
techimo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC View Post
Are you a midget?

Are a woman?

He doesn't like the sound of the V8. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's right -- ridicule a person because he doesn't share your viewpoint. You feel big now huh.

A) You're an ass. I could buy a fleet of M3's, one in every color and park them as far as I could see down my block, 'cept I'm into saving money not wasting it as I've worked hard for every penny as you all have, and I want value like anyone else.. It is not about the money. It's about finding just the right car for me whether that's a 335i or a 997 Turbo or an M3 or an M5 or a Tesla Roadster etc etc. Just because you love the M3 doesn't mean that everyone will. I'm trying to figure out via research and asking M3 owners if it's the right car for me and you sir, are making M3 owners look quite stupid.

B) Am I a woman? No, are you? Am I a midget? No, but I'm 5'7" (and so is Top Gear's Richard Hammond), which means my seat is forward, higher, and the hump is more in my view.

C) I didn't say that I don't like the V8 - it's ultra smooth and a beast. What I'm saying is that this is a DD for me, so I need to the car to be both tame when I want it to be (not annoying) and aggressive when I want it to be.

Last edited by techimo; 01-20-2009 at 11:54 PM..
Appreciate 0