BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

01-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #23
abitrandom
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3 covertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly_M3 View Post
How did you mount the plate on the left side?
You must have the original iphone 3 because your camera does suck.
Nice wheels though.
iphone 4 and thanks for the knocking my phone lmao
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 09:33 PM   #24
abitrandom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alynM3 View Post
There is one picture that shows a semi close up of the right rear. In that pic you can see the gap between the weights... its hard to tell, but it also looks like they stacked the weights on top of each other or perhaps it was two rows... imo, we wouldnt have done either.
thanks for the observation man.. i am looking at the pictures and still don't see it.. guess you have the eye for that - but you were 100% spot on.

I will take the car back to them on Thursday to fix the issue.

Also on what the other guy said, what is a "road force balance" ? Is it the same as High speed balance? Not following, but I do need them to fix this vibration issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 09:40 PM   #25
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

smack that lady for setting her purse on your car.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 09:46 PM   #26
MRG Race Co
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Nardo E92 '15 Fashion F80

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by abitrandom View Post
thanks for the observation man.. i am looking at the pictures and still don't see it.. guess you have the eye for that - but you were 100% spot on.

Also on what the other guy said, what is a "road force balance" ? Is it the same as High speed balance? Not following, but I do need them to fix this vibration issue.
There are different types of balancing machines. Expensive shops usually have better equipment which might include a road force balancer. I never got to use one when I was in the business so don't really know exactly how they work scientifically but my understanding is that they are supposed to apply resistance/pressure on the tire/wheel while balancing the set. It's supposed to simulate driving situations I guess.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 09:52 PM   #27
MRG Race Co
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Ordered these Forgestar F14's in semi-gloss brushed gunmetal last week from PatrickG@SonicTuning and I received them yesterday. Smoothest transaction ever, the guy provided great service and was in constant communication with me for updates. I highly recommend him and sonictuning.

As for the wheels... F14s 19x9 semi concave fronts and 19x10 deep concave rears. The photos are below.. not great pic quality - however will take more in the day time..

All I need is a drop now.

Eyelids anyone?
Quote:

It's the fifth picture in your thread. I think it's also the only one that shows a direct face shot.

Btw, that was obviously the only one I could see... But if they did it wrong once I would be hesitant to think they could have done multiple wheels wrong which is why you are getting major vibrations at relatively low speeds (60mph in this car is barely on the gas lol). If the shop doesn't have a good tech I would perhaps consider going to a real solid wheel shop to have it done right.

Last edited by MRG Race Co; 01-16-2013 at 09:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 10:10 PM   #28
abitrandom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
It's the fifth picture in your thread. I think it's also the only one that shows a direct face shot.

Btw, that was obviously the only one I could see... But if they did it wrong once I would be hesitant to think they could have done multiple wheels wrong which is why you are getting major vibrations at relatively low speeds (60mph in this car is barely on the gas lol). If the shop doesn't have a good tech I would perhaps consider going to a real solid wheel shop to have it done right.
just took photos of the weights.. and I said WTF!! all the rims have these!! i didnt even realize this.

how many are they supposed to put?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #29
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
just took photos of the weights.. and I said WTF!! all the rims have these!! i didnt even realize this.

dpends are the 1/4 or 1/2 ounce. i just had my apex mounted and they had more weights than i thought a new set would require.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 10:22 PM   #30
Ricfutures
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

They at least should have used darker weights...

If possible can you take better pics of your car in the light? Set up looks good but sharper images would do this thread some major justice. Don't be that guy!
EB M235i (Sold)
E92 M3 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 10:28 PM   #31
MRG Race Co
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Lol this sucks man... Sorry you are having to deal with this.

It would be normal to have the long strip on there by itself. That would be normal. I imagine what they did was balanced the wheel and the machine told them to apply "x" amount of weight where the longest strip is. Then after they do that the machine rotates again and under normal situations it should balance out after they have applied weights to the inner barrel and outer barrel.

What it appears happened... The machine did not balance out and instead it said "uh oh, your wheel is not balanced" and was calling for the tech to apply more weight. This is where the tech goofed. It shouldn't call for more weight after he has done it properly. So he should have removed the first weight he applied and tried again with spinning it for the initial weight. Instead he applied a small amount of weight to the right of the longest strip... And then tried to spin it again at which point it obviously didn't balance out again. So this time the machine said you need to add more weight and the machine pointed basically right in the middle of the longest strip. Probably totally confused at this point the tech applied a few more pieces immediately behind the first strip. He probably spun it again and it may have said it balanced out or he may have just given up and said fuck it and put the wheel on your car out of balance. But once you get it on the car it's probably a total mess regardless of whether the machine said it balanced or if he just screwed you over.

If it was taking a long time as you said, he might have gotten a bit embarrassed and decided to put it on your car assuming you would never know the difference.

Regardless of size, car tires are the easiest wheels to balance. Truck tires are a fucking pain in the ass. The balancer is trying to counter the heaviest parts of the tire and wheel against each other so that when its spun with centrifugal force it moves in a perfectly round circular motion. If you think about a hula hoop, it's pretty much perfectly balanced. But then add a small amount of weight to one point and all of a sudden the hoop moves in a weird fashion and gets thrown off at the extreme distance away from your body. It's basically like that in theory.

(take everything I say with a grain of salt... It's been years since I have balanced a wheel and I'm sure I am rusty at best with my recollection of the process)
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 10:42 PM   #32
abitrandom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricfutures View Post
They at least should have used darker weights...

If possible can you take better pics of your car in the light? Set up looks good but sharper images would do this thread some major justice. Don't be that guy!
haha i hear u.. however their was rain and sleet here the last two days. waiting for this weekend to take better pictures.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 10:44 PM   #33
MRG Race Co
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Btw, it's not really about quantity of weight. Or how many. The idea is to get a perfectly balanced wheel. Sometimes it takes more, sometimes less. There are ways that a tech can try to make it less but most times it requires breaking the bead again and rotating the tire but most techs won't do that because it takes a ton more time. I believe new tires used to be marked with a dot to mark the point at which the rubber overlaps the most, in theory the heaviest point of the tire. I believe what m3po was saying is that in theory you would locate the dot exactly opposite the valve stem/tpms. Obviously there weren't tpms sensors when I used to do this lol... But we would rotate the dot to be furthest away from the valve.

But sometimes wheels are just out of round, bent, or heavier at various points of the wheel. A bent, or out of round wheel is nearly impossible to balance.

Last edited by MRG Race Co; 01-16-2013 at 10:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 10:47 PM   #34
abitrandom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Lol this sucks man... Sorry you are having to deal with this.

It would be normal to have the long strip on there by itself. That would be normal. I imagine what they did was balanced the wheel and the machine told them to apply "x" amount of weight where the longest strip is. Then after they do that the machine rotates again and under normal situations it should balance out after they have applied weights to the inner barrel and outer barrel.

What it appears happened... The machine did not balance out and instead it said "uh oh, your wheel is not balanced" and was calling for the tech to apply more weight. This is where the tech goofed. It shouldn't call for more weight after he has done it properly. So he should have removed the first weight he applied and tried again with spinning it for the initial weight. Instead he applied a small amount of weight to the right of the longest strip... And then tried to spin it again at which point it obviously didn't balance out again. So this time the machine said you need to add more weight and the machine pointed basically right in the middle of the longest strip. Probably totally confused at this point the tech applied a few more pieces immediately behind the first strip. He probably spun it again and it may have said it balanced out or he may have just given up and said fuck it and put the wheel on your car out of balance. But once you get it on the car it's probably a total mess regardless of whether the machine said it balanced or if he just screwed you over.

If it was taking a long time as you said, he might have gotten a bit embarrassed and decided to put it on your car assuming you would never know the difference.

Regardless of size, car tires are the easiest wheels to balance. Truck tires are a fucking pain in the ass. The balancer is trying to counter the heaviest parts of the tire and wheel against each other so that when its spun with centrifugal force it moves in a perfectly round circular motion. If you think about a hula hoop, it's pretty much perfectly balanced. But then add a small amount of weight to one point and all of a sudden the hoop moves in a weird fashion and gets thrown off at the extreme distance away from your body. It's basically like that in theory.

(take everything I say with a grain of salt... It's been years since I have balanced a wheel and I'm sure I am rusty at best with my recollection of the process)
Thanks for writing this for me. I will take it in tomorrow to re-balance however i dont want them to re-do it lol.. so money lost i guess.

I appreciate your analysis man, if u did not mention this is would have been totally oblivious of it.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 07:22 AM   #35
JD3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 M3, DCT.

Any idea about the weight of these wheels? Look great btw.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 10:37 AM   #36
JD3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 M3, DCT.

Found weight on **********s site, looks like they're a few lbs lighter than stock 19s. Good news.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #37
MRG Race Co
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
I got a little curious myself about how screwed up your wheel was. And my suspicions were correct and the tech completely did it wrong. Here are two videos that may shed a little light on the proper way to do it and also how to properly use a road force balancer.

What I thought was really cool is that the newer machines will even tell the tech where to rotate the tire on the wheel to reduce weight offset.

Hope this is interesting to you... perhaps it was only useful to me.

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 09:04 AM   #38
abitrandom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alynM3
I got a little curious myself about how screwed up your wheel was. And my suspicions were correct and the tech completely did it wrong. Here are two videos that may shed a little light on the proper way to do it and also how to properly use a road force balancer.

What I thought was really cool is that the newer machines will even tell the tech where to rotate the tire on the wheel to reduce weight offset.

Hope this is interesting to you... perhaps it was only useful to me.

Thanks Alan
Appreciate 0