BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

EXXEL Distributions

10-19-2012, 01:13 PM   #23
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by positiveions View Post
Someone correct me, but I thought ROLLS ROYCE was still under the control of VAG; only engines to be made by BMW
i think VAG has Bentley, while BMW has RR.
      10-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #24
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDiner View Post
This
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 04:08 PM   #25
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDiner View Post
Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 06:47 PM   #26
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

BMW lost the sale to Rolls-Royce to VW but BMW purchased the rights to use the Rolls-Royce name from under VW meaning VW had no Rolls-Royce brand.
When Rover become a problem for BMW , VW tried to purchase the BMW brand which was not for sale. Despite many advances
(something similar happening to Alfa Romeo)

They then offered BMW the VW platform for a Rover/BMW in exchange for Land Rover , MINI and Rolls-Royce. For overall interference and meddling in BMW's affairs BMW sold Land Rover to Ford under VW's nose. And sold-off Rover.
It was then the conception of the BMW 1er began , The BMW CS1 concept in 2002 showed the world and the industry that a compact BMW was on the way.

VW despise BMW to this day which is why Audi is considered by VW as BMW's main competitor.
BMW's chief Norbert Reithofer has made public claims about Audi saying in more than one occasion that "We know exactly what they will do because we do it first" and "They are (Audi) volume masquerading as premium." ( in reference to VW underpinnings). Which of course is the truth.

Audi are so obsessed with BMW that not only do they try to immitate the products but also in advertising.
Which is very true because @ Paris VAG were all over the sportier (for what it is as a space vehicle) BMW Active Tourer concept and when BMW's engineering division responsible for the new FWD models claim that they aim to make a better FWD car drive better than an equivalent Audi then the swords have been drawn.
I am willing to bet that an Audi van concept is on the way.
      10-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #27
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
BMW lost the sale to Rolls-Royce to VW but BMW purchased the rights to use the Rolls-Royce name from under VW meaning VW had no Rolls-Royce brand.
When Rover become a problem for BMW , VW tried to purchase the BMW brand which was not for sale. Despite many advances
(something similar happening to Alfa Romeo)

They then offered BMW the VW platform for a Rover/BMW in exchange for Land Rover , MINI and Rolls-Royce. For overall interference and meddling in BMW's affairs BMW sold Land Rover to Ford under VW's nose. And sold-off Rover.
It was then the conception of the BMW 1er began , The BMW CS1 concept in 2002 showed the world and the industry that a compact BMW was on the way.

VW despise BMW to this day which is why Audi is considered by VW as BMW's main competitor.
BMW's chief Norbert Reithofer has made public claims about Audi saying in more than one occasion that "We know exactly what they will do because we do it first" and "They are (Audi) volume masquerading as premium." ( in reference to VW underpinnings). Which of course is the truth.

Audi are so obsessed with BMW that not only do they try to immitate the products but also in advertising.
Which is very true because @ Paris VAG were all over the sportier (for what it is as a space vehicle) BMW Active Tourer concept and when BMW's engineering division responsible for the new FWD models claim that they aim to make a better FWD car drive better than an equivalent Audi then the swords have been drawn.
I am willing to bet that an Audi van concept is on the way.
How exactly did VW try to buy the BMW brand?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 12:54 AM   #28
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post
How exactly did VW try to buy the BMW brand?
I think Scott was referring "BMW brand" to Rover not the actual BMW brand itself.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #29
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 宝马.e90 View Post
I think Scott was referring "BMW brand" to Rover not the actual BMW brand itself.
Ah. That makes more sense.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 02:22 PM   #30
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
No. When Rover collapsed under BMW it threatened to take the whole company down with them.
VW like sharks in the water smelt the blood and moved in for the kill.
At BMW the blood was already spilt in the boardroom with the top men of BMW removed. VW were not the only companies interested in BMW, both GM and Ford made advances to buy BMW.
VW's interference and advances ( which is happening to Alfa Romeo) led the company to dispose of Rover and sell the Land Rover Brand to Ford under VW's nose who notified German buiness media that they were first in the queue to buy the Land Rover brand.

After the boardroom coup BMW decided that its overall goal to remain independent was to go it alone by developing many new models (X5 E53 was just launched at this time) , The MINI and Rolls-Royce Phantom were in conception and then there was The BMW 1er family which also included a Sedan and Touring being designed for the E87 series. And the first Premium entry SAV The BMW X3 and the BMW 6er.

The dark years of BMW during the collapse of Rover were not plain-sailing but the overall ruthlessness of the Quandt family made sure that the company survived and remained independent to which they did eventually taking the no 1 premium manufacturer crown from arch rivals Mercedes-Benz.
      10-21-2012, 02:35 PM   #31
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
No. When Rover collapsed under BMW it threatened to take the whole company down with them.
VW like sharks in the water smelt the blood and moved in for the kill.
At BMW the blood was already spilt in the boardroom with the top men of BMW removed. VW were not the only companies interested in BMW, both GM and Ford made advances to buy BMW.
VW's interference and advances ( which is happening to Alfa Romeo) led the company to dispose of Rover and sell the Land Rover Brand to Ford under VW's nose who notified German buiness media that they were first in the queue to buy the Land Rover brand.

After the boardroom coup BMW decided that its overall goal to remain independent was to go it alone by developing many new models (X5 E53 was just launched at this time) , The MINI and Rolls-Royce Phantom were in conception and then there was The BMW 1er family which also included a Sedan and Touring being designed for the E87 series. And the first Premium entry SAV The BMW X3 and the BMW 6er.

The dark years of BMW during the collapse of Rover were not plain-sailing but the overall ruthlessness of the Quandt family made sure that the company survived and remained independent to which they did eventually taking the no 1 premium manufacturer crown from arch rivals Mercedes-Benz.
Interesting. I knew that BMW went through tough times in the early 2000's, but I didn't know VW tried to buy them out.

I noticed that you said a sedan and a touring were designed for the E87 1er. Why were they never devoleped? And I am curious what they looked like. Is there any chance that BMW would ever realese the drawings in the future?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 09:32 PM   #32
RingBredE90
DTMRacer
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 330I

I was at the Welt in July for the first time, it was a great experience, and the museum was extraordinary, just to see so much history all under one roof, cars you have been admiring all your life, awesome!