BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

07-09-2007, 11:45 AM   #1
BruceWain
Private
Rep
Drives: You Crazy

When your on top

When your on top everyone around you wants to bring you down.
None of the reviews were negative, they weren't even real reviews. They are first impressions.
In fact TOP GEAR, ( who generally hates BMW's) raved about the NEW M3.
The only two "negative" things that came from any of theses first impressions were the steering and the brakes.
The brakes will be more then adequate for what more then most of us will use them for and that is for use on public roads.
I have never experienced any brake fade or issues in any BMW I have ever owned when driven on a public road.
My first BMW 1977 530i, showing my age !

The steering was explained by SteveD:
"The new M3 is a great car. It hasn't gone soft. What a strange comment to make for a car that is 'more' hardcore than the E46 version it replaces.
The RS4 feels soft compared to the M3, and if anything we were wondering if BMW had lost too much of the E46's refinement."

This comes from someone who drove the NEW M3 and theRS4 on the same day.
This is as close as it gets to a comparison to date. "E46 refinement" those who have actually driven or owned an E46M3 know just how refined it is.....

SteveD goes on to say:
"The engine is both louder and much more serious sounding than the S54 straight six. Handling is very balanced, now if that makes it 'refined' then so be it, but that's not how I would describe it. Do you really want an 'edgy' handling 420hp Coupe? No, I didn't think so."

Anyone know how well balanced a LOTUS Elise is ?

"The steering is fine and would probably be sharper with lower profile tyres, but the front is not soft. I am looking at the videos we took and under severe provocation there is no understeer and the car remains flat and very stable when held sideways. It's a fluid handling entertainer that can be finely adjusted in a corner and will be controllable by a wide range of driver talent - not just the racers amongst us."

Please remember that the M cars ability to go sideways around a turn is a testament to it's handling.
What it testifies to is the cars ability to maintain control when there is no control....ie not all cars can wag there tail and keep a line or a controlled line for that matter.

SteveD:
"I am a CSL owner and I find the E92 M3 far, far better than the E46 M3 and more sporting as well (I owned 3 E46 M3s).
BMW do not 'need' to make a CSL, but they will because they can."

Did he say better ?
Better ?
No I think the man said "FAR, FAR BETTER".
I,m not sure read it again ..... : )

SteveD on the handling once again:
"It is true that Michelin designed the PS2's especially for the car, but they did not understeer.

We were comparing the M3 with an RS4 back-to-back and those spanish roads were dangerously slippery being covered with a fine crystalline dust particularly lower down the mountains. But the RS4 (running on PS2s also) struggled more with grip than the M3, whereas when I had driven it down to Marbella over the previous 2000 miles or so it had loads of grip.

It's a shame such comments are gaining ground, because they are very misleading unless you understand the context (i.e. the roads we were driving on)."

Damn right it's a shame. which leads to my next point.
I have been reading the E90 post as well as other forums for many years now.
Some of you are well informed and level headed and I WILL name a FEW:
Southlight
JEllis
Swamp2
Epacy
Just to name a few. There are more of you and I apologize if I left anyone out who truly fits the description.

Then there are some of you whose motives are very questionable.
Always ready to jump ship.
I'm going to get a CBRS9 Turbo instead !

Posting speculative info on how a competitors car is better
The 9XQ14 is going to have 421 HP that's more I think I'll buy that instead !

Posting pics of competitive cars and saying how you like the way they look much better.
This car has Flame Resurfacing so it looks so much better !

Always ready to magnify any detail to shed negative light on the NEW M3.
The NEW M3 brake pedal is to big I'm going to get a CBRS9 Turbo instead !

Sound like gorilla marketing to me.
That's when you search for ACME pencils and ACNE pencils comes up in the results.

You fockers know who you are and I think there is a place for you on this forum.
Official E92 M3 Haters Thread

Let it go the KING lives mark my words thank you for reading.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2007, 11:54 AM   #2
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
Great post

unfortunately most haters of the new M would probably stop reading after the first sentence.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2007, 11:57 AM   #3
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Some consensus on the bad side

Nice first post, I think you see a lot of the big picture on the forum and about the car. My only criticism is that you can't only take the good and only take it from one reviewer. There was some unanimity on poor steering feel. The jury is still out but I guess it is not out for Steved in particular.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2007, 11:58 AM   #4
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
i thought this was sex-related. bummer!
the word "on top" means something different to me apparently!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2007, 12:13 PM   #5
M3onTwomps
First Lieutenant
Iraq
Rep
Drives: '02 E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWain View Post
When your on top everyone around you wants to bring you down.
None of the reviews were negative, they weren't even real reviews. They are first impressions.
In fact TOP GEAR, ( who generally hates BMW's) raved about the NEW M3.
The only two "negative" things that came from any of theses first impressions were the steering and the brakes.
The brakes will be more then adequate for what more then most of us will use them for and that is for use on public roads.
I have never experienced any brake fade or issues in any BMW I have ever owned when driven on a public road.
My first BMW 1977 530i, showing my age !

The steering was explained by SteveD:
"The new M3 is a great car. It hasn't gone soft. What a strange comment to make for a car that is 'more' hardcore than the E46 version it replaces.
The RS4 feels soft compared to the M3, and if anything we were wondering if BMW had lost too much of the E46's refinement."

This comes from someone who drove the NEW M3 and theRS4 on the same day.
This is as close as it gets to a comparison to date. "E46 refinement" those who have actually driven or owned an E46M3 know just how refined it is.....

SteveD goes on to say:
"The engine is both louder and much more serious sounding than the S54 straight six. Handling is very balanced, now if that makes it 'refined' then so be it, but that's not how I would describe it. Do you really want an 'edgy' handling 420hp Coupe? No, I didn't think so."

Anyone know how well balanced a LOTUS Elise is ?

"The steering is fine and would probably be sharper with lower profile tyres, but the front is not soft. I am looking at the videos we took and under severe provocation there is no understeer and the car remains flat and very stable when held sideways. It's a fluid handling entertainer that can be finely adjusted in a corner and will be controllable by a wide range of driver talent - not just the racers amongst us."

Please remember that the M cars ability to go sideways around a turn is a testament to it's handling.
What it testifies to is the cars ability to maintain control when there is no control....ie not all cars can wag there tail and keep a line or a controlled line for that matter.

SteveD:
"I am a CSL owner and I find the E92 M3 far, far better than the E46 M3 and more sporting as well (I owned 3 E46 M3s).
BMW do not 'need' to make a CSL, but they will because they can."

Did he say better ?
Better ?
No I think the man said "FAR, FAR BETTER".
I,m not sure read it again ..... : )

SteveD on the handling once again:
"It is true that Michelin designed the PS2's especially for the car, but they did not understeer.

We were comparing the M3 with an RS4 back-to-back and those spanish roads were dangerously slippery being covered with a fine crystalline dust particularly lower down the mountains. But the RS4 (running on PS2s also) struggled more with grip than the M3, whereas when I had driven it down to Marbella over the previous 2000 miles or so it had loads of grip.

It's a shame such comments are gaining ground, because they are very misleading unless you understand the context (i.e. the roads we were driving on)."

Damn right it's a shame. which leads to my next point.
I have been reading the E90 post as well as other forums for many years now.
Some of you are well informed and level headed and I WILL name a FEW:
Southlight
JEllis
Swamp2
Epacy
Just to name a few. There are more of you and I apologize if I left anyone out who truly fits the description.

Then there are some of you whose motives are very questionable.
Always ready to jump ship.
I'm going to get a CBRS9 Turbo instead !

Posting speculative info on how a competitors car is better
The 9XQ14 is going to have 421 HP that's more I think I'll buy that instead !

Posting pics of competitive cars and saying how you like the way they look much better.
This car has Flame Resurfacing so it looks so much better !

Always ready to magnify any detail to shed negative light on the NEW M3.
The NEW M3 brake pedal is to big I'm going to get a CBRS9 Turbo instead !

Sound like gorilla marketing to me.
That's when you search for ACME pencils and ACNE pencils comes up in the results.

You fockers know who you are and I think there is a place for you on this forum.
Official E92 M3 Haters Thread

Let it go the KING lives mark my words thank you for reading.
Awesome first post, my friend! Welcome to the board.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2007, 12:14 PM   #6
M3onTwomps
First Lieutenant
Iraq
Rep
Drives: '02 E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantisG35 View Post
i thought this was sex-related. bummer!
the word "on top" means something different to me apparently!
Well, it's two words. That could be part of the problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2007, 12:34 PM   #7
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3onTwomps View Post
Well, it's two words. That could be part of the problem.
And it's "you're", not "your".

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0