BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

BPM

09-10-2011, 09:39 PM   #1
brave1heart
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 M Coupe

For You Track/AutoX Junkies: Best Snell 2010 Helmet For Your Money

http://www.onehotlap.com/2011/09/pro...10-helmet.html

After 6 autocross events and 5 track days with my Zeronine Z9-APX helmet, all I can say is that's it's a huge improvement over my old Bell M3..
      09-11-2011, 01:22 AM   #2
Inspired
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

I just bought a $50 Snell helmet and be done with it.. Only track a few times a year no point dropping hundreds+
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 01:28 AM   #3
xerox445
Damenslip-Tropfer
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo335 View Post
I just bought a $50 Snell helmet and be done with it.. Only track a few times a year no point dropping hundreds+
You bought a 50 dollar helmet? lol godbless.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 01:31 AM   #4
Inspired
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerox445 View Post
You bought a 50 dollar helmet? lol godbless.
It is DOT and Snell rated..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 01:42 AM   #5
xerox445
Damenslip-Tropfer
Rep

Quote:
It is DOT and Snell rated..
Tommy: Let's think about this for a sec, Ted. Why would somebody put a guarantee on a box? Hmmm, very interesting.
Ted Nelson, Customer: Go on, I'm listening.
Tommy: Here's the way I see it, Ted. Guy puts a fancy guarantee on a box 'cause he wants you to feel all warm and toasty inside.
Ted Nelson, Customer: Yeah, makes a man feel good.
Tommy: 'Course it does. Why shouldn't it? Ya figure you put that little box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter, am I right, Ted?
[chuckles until he sees that Ted is not laughing]
Ted Nelson, Customer: [impatiently] What's your point?
Tommy: The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.
Ted Nelson, Customer: But why do they put a guarantee on the box?
Tommy: Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of shit. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me.
Ted Nelson, Customer: [pause] Okay, I'll buy from you.
Tommy: Well, that's...

Edit:
Bragging about spending $50 on your saftey is pro. BTW.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 01:54 AM   #6
Inspired
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Tommy: Let's think about this for a sec, Ted. Why would somebody put a guarantee on a box? Hmmm, very interesting.
Ted Nelson, Customer: Go on, I'm listening.
Tommy: Here's the way I see it, Ted. Guy puts a fancy guarantee on a box 'cause he wants you to feel all warm and toasty inside.
Ted Nelson, Customer: Yeah, makes a man feel good.
Tommy: 'Course it does. Why shouldn't it? Ya figure you put that little box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter, am I right, Ted?
[chuckles until he sees that Ted is not laughing]
Ted Nelson, Customer: [impatiently] What's your point?
Tommy: The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.
Ted Nelson, Customer: But why do they put a guarantee on the box?
Tommy: Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of shit. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me.
Ted Nelson, Customer: [pause] Okay, I'll buy from you.
Tommy: Well, that's...

Edit:
Bragging about spending $50 on your saftey is pro. BTW.
It doesn't matter if you paid $1 or $1000 for a helmet.. A Snell/DOT rated meets all Federal safety expectations.. Why don't you do some research before you talk out of your ass..

Quote:
A helmet that meets the D.O.T. standard (or Snell, even better),even a cheap motorcycle helmet, offers serious levels of protection if you crash.

The D.O.T. standard (officially designated Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard no. 218) requires, among other things, that a helmet soak up a significant amount of impact energy, prevent most penetration, and have a fastening system that will withstand significant force.

The Snell certification system testing is completely comprehensive and you can be sure that no matter what the price a Snell certified helmet will perform. This has been verified in independent testing.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 02:43 AM   #7
xerox445
Damenslip-Tropfer
Rep

Quote:
It doesn't matter if you paid $1 or $1000 for a helmet.. A Snell/DOT rated meets all Federal safety expectations.. Why don't you do some research before you talk out of your ass..
You might make your rent/mortgage on time this month.

I can has $50 helmet too.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DOT-SNELL-AP...item3362f1652c

End of the day, you still spend $50 on your brain bucket. Name one other mod you have on your car under $50 bucks.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 03:00 AM   #8
Inspired
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You might make your rent/mortgage on time this month.

I can has $50 helmet too.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DOT-SNELL-AP...item3362f1652c

End of the day, you still spend $50 on your brain bucket. Name one other mod you have on your car under $50 bucks.
Oh.. then I guess the Snell sticker with a serial number and a Snell stamp inside my lining is fake also?

Which looks like this..

$50 or $1000.. at the end of the day, it meets federal safety regulation as well as the track's regulations...
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 04:50 AM   #9
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 11 Montego Blue E90 335i Step

I just broke a ventilation cover tab on my Arai Vector 2 from a little drop (seat of motorcycle to the pavement; free-fall). Was kind of disappointed... Even though it's made out of plastic.

If it's just for automobile use... Don't worry about it. A $50 helmet will do just fine as long as it's Snell / DOT rated.
      09-11-2011, 04:20 PM   #10
Inspired
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelthepsycho View Post
I just broke a ventilation cover tab on my Arai Vector 2 from a little drop (seat of motorcycle to the pavement; free-fall). Was kind of disappointed... Even though it's made out of plastic.

If it's just for automobile use... Don't worry about it. A $50 helmet will do just fine as long as it's Snell / DOT rated.
Exactly. Sometimes I use my helmet less than once a year.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 04:42 PM   #11
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelthepsycho View Post
A $50 helmet will do just fine as long as it's Snell / DOT rated.
I agree, I'd rather have a $50.00 that passes Snell certification than some of those fancy carbon fiber $500.00 helmets that can't/don't pass Snell. Snell certification is no joke.

DOT is based on the honor system, and is subject to random sampling tests to see if they meet regulations, whereas every single Snell rated helmet needs to be tested and needs to pass. Plus, Snell is more rigorous than DOT to begin with.

Would I rather have a $500 Snell helmet than a $50 one? Absolutely. However, passing Snell means that the helmet is already much better than many on the market, price and certification aside.

As for me, I use a $300.00 Pyrotect, which is Snell 2010 rated and fit my head much better than the Bell helmets I tried on (I have a large head and Pyrotect went up to 2XL where Bell only went XL). I wouldn't run a $50 helmet like twinturbo335, but it's nice to know that there is a safe and certified option like that for people who only track extremely rarely.

Last edited by LateBraking; 09-11-2011 at 04:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 05:48 PM   #12
Impervious
UNC FTW
Pakistan
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 135i

There's some major jackassery going on in this thread. That's a great deal on a helmet. If it's been approved then I wouldn't think twice about it. If it was a motorcycle helmet I'd be a bit worried but it's for in car use...
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 06:19 PM   #13
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impervious View Post
There's some major jackassery going on in this thread. That's a great deal on a helmet. If it's been approved then I wouldn't think twice about it. If it was a motorcycle helmet I'd be a bit worried but it's for in car use...
this

If I had a bike, I'd be more than willing to shell out the high premium for an Arai or something if I knew it would save my head (and look fucking sweet) but for tracking a car... I really don't see the point in getting anything too expensive. If it's Snell certified then why not.
      10-06-2011, 05:58 PM   #14
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4, 2022 X6

I would never buy a $50 helmet in 10,000,000 years. That thing is protecting your HEAD. I dont care if its rated/certified. No.freakin.way
      10-06-2011, 07:40 PM   #15
gun6slinger9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 428xi

If it is certified who gives a shit? I'm sure the $500 helmet breathes better, has better graphics on it, is more comfortable, etc. But if you rarely use it, and when you do it is in your CAR a $50 helmet would be perfectly fine.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 11:55 PM   #16
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
We should do a test to see if the helmet is worth the money.. I think you guys should make a vid.

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 03:10 AM   #17
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Quote:
Yeah, f*ck that, it's only your brain
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 06:39 PM   #18
brave1heart
Private First Class
Rep

One thing to consider about the helmet cost is that you will use it over a period of 10 years. Even if you only do a few events a year, it is not a significant cost per event so it's worth getting a reasonably well made, comfortable helmet. And the more you use it, the cheaper it ends up per event

Last edited by brave1heart; 10-12-2011 at 10:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 08:24 PM   #19
rhouck
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun6slinger9 View Post
If it is certified who gives a shit? I'm sure the $500 helmet breathes better, has better graphics on it, is more comfortable, etc. But if you rarely use it, and when you do it is in your CAR a $50 helmet would be perfectly fine.
^ truth.

I come from a motorcycle background and have crash tested (i.e. bounced off my head ) in multiple helmet brands. You can get a "cheap" helmet that is just as SAFE as the more expensive ones. When you pay more, you are getting:
1. Brand name
2. Graphics
3. Ventilation
4. Wider fitment options
5. Weight

I wore my fancy expensive Arai RX-7 on the street because the ventilation made a big difference when I was in it for hours at a time, as did the more comfortable padding, plus it was a rare (at the time) Haga rep that no one had

But on the track? I wore helmets that were ~1/5th the cost so that I didn't feel bad about replacing them (and they always did their job just fine).

Now I still wear an expensive Arai in the car because I already own one and it's the most comfortable one I have, but judging a helmet purely based on its cost is silly.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 10:06 PM   #20
brave1heart
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhouck View Post
judging a helmet purely based on its cost is silly.
+1

Comfort and fit are very important at the track IMO. Comfort helps concentration, which leads to better driving. And if you wear the helmet for 2 hrs without taking it off (back to back instructor sessions), comfort and fit make all the difference.
      11-03-2011, 09:21 PM   #21
brave1heart
Private First Class
Rep

Curious if anyone else has tried the Zeronine Z9-APX helmet by now? What was your experience with it?
      11-03-2011, 09:34 PM   #22
Inspired
Colonel
Rep

This thread still going on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKL View Post
I would never buy a $50 helmet in 10,000,000 years. That thing is protecting your HEAD. I dont care if its rated/certified. No.freakin.way
Either you have issues or you don't know what Snell and DOT rated is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun6slinger9 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brave1heart View Post
One thing to consider about the helmet cost is that you will use it over a period of 10 years. Even if you only do a few events a year, it is not a significant cost per event so it's worth getting a reasonably well made, comfortable helmet. And the more you use it, the cheaper it ends up per event
Been using mine for 3 years... no complaint for me.. Feels and fit great..
Appreciate 0