BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

08-25-2022, 10:06 AM   #23
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven11 View Post
I'm going to have a difficult time matching the enjoyment without the sound and gears.
Something tells me that pure electric cars in the future will offer a simulated manual transmission because that's one way to bring budget-neutral buyers in the showroom. The future is interesting.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9702.50
      08-25-2022, 11:03 AM   #24
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

The upcoming Porsche electric 718 should be a good indication of what the future may hold for EV sports cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2022, 11:13 AM   #25
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven11 View Post
I'm going to have a difficult time matching the enjoyment without the sound and gears.
Something tells me that pure electric cars in the future will offer a simulated manual transmission because that's one way to bring budget-neutral buyers in the showroom. The future is interesting.
Well they do it to CVTs already. Added flappy paddle fake gears would be fairly trivial. They just need to limit torque in the motor controller.

You could simulate all sorts of engines. Peaky na engines, turbos with mid range punch, etc. add some fake cabin noise and maybe a transducer in the seat. I wonder if they will go to the trouble of a H pattern shifter.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2022, 12:21 PM   #26
INTMD8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 E91 manual

Zero interest in an electric sports car.
      08-25-2022, 02:04 PM   #27
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socaldriver View Post
Would you buy yourself an electric sports car? Electric vehicle are nice and quick. They'll bring you from point A to point B. I've got myself an X5 45e and an S2000 and my S2000 takes me to point A to point Z with a handful of late night canyon carvings. Electric sports cars are stupid quick and that's it. Nothing else. I won't be chasing lap times or doing 1/4 mile runs. I'm crossing my fingers on the upcoming Toyota Supra with the M4 G82 engine with a manual transmission. It will be a JDM and GDM in one package.
Sorry but there's no such thing as a 6 TON sports car regardless of how fast you accelerate. The plaid is like almost an entire minute slower around the ring when compared to real sports cars.

We've got a long way to go before they can get the weight of these cars down and have reasonable capacity.

<- not an EV hater but the future of cars will be a combination of alternative fuels/ICE + EV.
Appreciate 3
Cos270608.50
G MONEY1236.50
Germanauto9702.50
      08-25-2022, 03:37 PM   #28
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theruleslawyer View Post
Well they do it to CVTs already. Added flappy paddle fake gears would be fairly trivial. They just need to limit torque in the motor controller.

You could simulate all sorts of engines. Peaky na engines, turbos with mid range punch, etc. add some fake cabin noise and maybe a transducer in the seat. I wonder if they will go to the trouble of a H pattern shifter.
Echoing the same thoughts. Whatever simulation will carry the promise of increasing revenue and profits, it will be undoubtedly considered.

If I were an aftermarket exhaust manufacturer, the strategic plan would be updated shortly. Disruption is on the horizon.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2022, 05:24 PM   #29
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

Many car mfgs have introduced fake exhaust noises anyway. If you purchased a recent sporty coupe you are already being trained with synthetic exhaust sounds. The gradual entry to simulated "drama" is already happening.
I can imagine EV sports cars with Hans Zimmers fake zoom-zoom noise. Just check out the i4 forum, it's quite well received.

Weight.... it's a bit relative. Sport coupes back in the 80s and 90s barely crack 2800lbs. 3000lbs were considered heavy back then.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2022, 06:14 PM   #30
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Oxy-moron.....might be the rum talking. I'll just jump on what a bunch of others have said. EV's will have a place, but in the here and now they are heavy and more like an iPhone. It's like mechanical watches, yes I'm old. I don't want a touch screen in my toy, I want to row the gears, hear the exhaust and feel every bump in the road. The Charger Challenger EV is interesting in that they are putting a shiftable transmission in it, I don't know about the "exhaust sound" feature but hell back in the day they came out with Plumb Loco as a colour.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2022, 07:35 PM   #31
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
Sorry but there's no such thing as a 6 TON sports car regardless of how fast you accelerate. The plaid is like almost an entire minute slower around the ring when compared to real sports cars.

We've got a long way to go before they can get the weight of these cars down and have reasonable capacity.

<- not an EV hater but the future of cars will be a combination of alternative fuels/ICE + EV.
A minute slower?

The model s plaid ran 1 second behind the M5CS. Which is one of BMW's flagship models.

People can knock EV's all they want. They're already on the heels of the best of peak ICE cars in terms of straight line performance. Once solid state batteries become a thing, weight will no longer be an issue. When that happens, charging will no longer be an issue. When that happens, here comes your EV sports cars. I mean people like the BMW I4 right? That's actually trash since the chassis isn't set up for EV. The next generation will be an EV from the ground up. You'll see what it can do.

We're at the end of ICE guys. No sense in trying to deny it. Find your best ICE car and keep it. Nothing wrong with that. You can be a fan of both.

EV is here and surpassing ICE right before our eyes.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2022, 07:42 PM   #32
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
A minute slower?

The model s plaid ran 1 second behind the M5CS. Which is one of BMW's flagship models.

People can knock EV's all they want. They're already on the heels of the best of peak ICE cars in terms of straight line performance. Once solid state batteries become a thing, weight will no longer be an issue. When that happens, charging will no longer be an issue. When that happens, here comes your EV sports cars. I mean people like the BMW I4 right? That's actually trash since the chassis isn't set up for EV. The next generation will be an EV from the ground up. You'll see what it can do.

We're at the end of ICE guys. No sense in trying to deny it. Find your best ICE car and keep it. Nothing wrong with that. You can be a fan of both.

EV is here and surpassing ICE right before our eyes.
Imagine comparing one elephant to another.

7:3* is a joke....

That's like 25 seconds slower than an AMG GTR with 20x the instantaneous power.

I know you're drunk off EV koolaid but take a breather because this gap in performance is GIGANTIC and EV isn't even close to competing against real sports cars.

Alternative Fuels + EV is the future just like F1 is proving to everyone as Porsche and Audi are now joining for these new engine regulations set for 2026.
Appreciate 2
      08-25-2022, 08:45 PM   #33
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Imagine comparing one elephant to another.

7:3* is a joke....

That's like 25 seconds slower than an AMG GTR with 20x the instantaneous power.

I know you're drunk off EV koolaid but take a breather because this gap in performance is GIGANTIC and EV isn't even close to competing against real sports cars.

Alternative Fuels + EV is the future just like F1 is proving to everyone as Porsche and Audi are now joining for these new engine regulations set for 2026.

You're just naming cars high up the ring list.

So the M5CS isn't a sports car? What is it then? A car similar to BMW's 430I?

Alternate fuel is a good substitute. EV is the inevitable final say.

EV has already proven to have taken over in straight line performance. Again i said once solid state comes into play, weight will no longer be an issue. This is where your argument goes in the trash.

You're judging results as you're seeing it today. It doesn't work like that.

Like all technology, everyday it improves.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2022, 09:28 PM   #34
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Ya, incredible many ppl don't think outside the box and are simply resistant to change. Have you looked under an ICE hood lately? All these crazy hoses, multiple systems and hundreds of parts and fluids, it's super inefficient. Ppl love to pick on EV now during its relative infancy yet it's already outperforming the ICE at its development plateau in many areas. It's over.
Appreciate 1
BGM-M3COMP2328.00
      08-25-2022, 09:38 PM   #35
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m4

EVs are fast*

*At peak charge, for a couple laps.

I'd love to see the plaid make 3 consecutive laps on the ring and compare.
Appreciate 3
      08-25-2022, 10:52 PM   #36
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

I'd have no problem purchasing one as long as they're nice to look at such as the Taycan Cross Turismo. I finally saw one a couple days ago in a beautiful red color and it was an amazing looking machine. Most EVs right now look like garbage in my eyes (imho only), but that Taycan CT was something else. I followed along behind it as long as I could and just drooled over it.

Range is the big limiting factor for me. Being a one car guy most times, the 3-4 nonstop road trips I make from STL to Miami per year rule out this 300 mile range stuff. I'd need to see some big time battery improvement to become interested, but certainly not against it as a matter of principle.
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2022, 10:52 PM   #37
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Ya, incredible many ppl don't think outside the box and are simply resistant to change. Have you looked under an ICE hood lately? All these crazy hoses, multiple systems and hundreds of parts and fluids, it's super inefficient. Ppl love to pick on EV now during its relative infancy yet it's already outperforming the ICE at its development plateau in many areas. It's over.
You missed the part where this thread is about "sports cars."

Being efficient, practical, easy to maintain, etc. are all secondary to being engaging to drive.
Appreciate 3
NYG10741.00
      08-26-2022, 12:17 AM   #38
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
You missed the part where this thread is about "sports cars."

Being efficient, practical, easy to maintain, etc. are all secondary to being engaging to drive.
You missed the pt if you think that EVs can't be sportscars…like saying it's an impossibility? Really?

Too much focus on the medium and not enough on the application.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 05:32 AM   #39
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
People love making this debate in 2022 because they know EV still needs more time to fully take over lol

Don’t get me wrong I love my ICE but this is inevitable. Plus I have a Tesla so maybe I’m biased. This is a great transition. I don’t even have a plaid yet I destroy almost every car during my commute if I need to from 0-80/90.

If I had a plaid absolutely nothing will touch me. There is a video of a model x plaid destroying a 720s.

The plaid had to carry 6 passengers and the 720s to lose his passenger for the 720s to win lol.

EV is here. When solid state comes, weight will go down. People will have zero excuses but accept the fact that ICE is finally done.

You can be a fan of both. I am.
Appreciate 2
H2O_Doc512.50
      08-26-2022, 09:10 AM   #40
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
People love making this debate in 2022 because they know EV still needs more time to fully take over lol
Let me just paint out some facts for you, and don't take this as me being an asshole, I just think you're over-valuating EV right now.

1) Over a century of ICE development exists
2) There's 2 billion ICE engines out there
3) There's hundreds of thousands of fueling stations everywhere
4) There's thousands of manufacturing facilities, optimized production/tooling for ICE
5) Battery energy density is decades away from being comparable to gasoline
6) Battery manufacturing is still not that GREEN or cost-effective although this is improving faster than 5 is
7) We're not even close to having the infrastructure to support an EV takeover for a long time - Elon Musk is the first to say it

If you think demolishing every fuel station/underground fuel storage tanks then having local environmental protection remediate the soil followed by construction of an electrical grid and supplemental power plants to sustain it is something that we're even close to achieving - you've got another thing coming.

Just because California is the most autistic state in the US doesn't mean anything. Newsom is the biggest moron on the planet.

Alternative fuels + EV is the future. Fully electrified vehicles will exist but they will take a backseat to hybrid tech - right now it's just the bandaid for hippies who don't understand the long term requirements and effects of eliminating ICE.
Appreciate 3
      08-26-2022, 09:33 AM   #41
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socaldriver View Post
Would you buy yourself an electric sports car? Electric vehicle are nice and quick. They'll bring you from point A to point B. I've got myself an X5 45e and an S2000 and my S2000 takes me to point A to point Z with a handful of late night canyon carvings. Electric sports cars are stupid quick and that's it. Nothing else. I won't be chasing lap times or doing 1/4 mile runs. I'm crossing my fingers on the upcoming Toyota Supra with the M4 G82 engine with a manual transmission. It will be a JDM and GDM in one package.
YES.
      08-26-2022, 09:37 AM   #42
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Quote:
Let me just paint out some facts for you, and don't take this as me being an asshole, I just think you're over-valuating EV right now.

4) There's thousands of manufacturing facilities, optimized production/tooling for ICE
6) Battery manufacturing is still not that GREEN or cost-effective although this is improving faster than 5 is
7) We're not even close to having the infrastructure to support an EV takeover for a long time - Elon Musk is the first to say it

If you think demolishing every fuel station/underground fuel storage tanks then having local environmental protection remediate the soil followed by construction of an electrical grid and supplemental power plants to sustain it is something that we're even close to achieving - you've got another thing coming.

Just because California is the most autistic state in the US doesn't mean anything. Newsom is the biggest moron on the planet.

Alternative fuels + EV is the future. Fully electrified vehicles will exist but they will take a backseat to hybrid tech - right now it's just the bandaid for hippies who don't understand the long term requirements and effects of eliminating ICE.
Dude, don't waste your time with Chevys #1 Fanboy. You be better off talking to your cat or dog:-)
Appreciate 2
NYG10741.00
Germanauto9702.50
      08-26-2022, 09:39 AM   #43
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:

All this, and look how far they've gone into the front-runners at Pike's Peak and other races.

There might be over a century of ICE development...but EV is coming on a lot faster.
      08-26-2022, 09:40 AM   #44
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G MONEY View Post
Dude, don't waste your time with Chevys #1 Fanboy. You be better off talking to your cat or dog:-)
I love Chevy too.
Appreciate 0