BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

08-26-2022, 11:27 AM   #67
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

Actually, doesn't matter.

Let's do it at Watkins Glen or NJMP next month.

I'll let you use how ever many inches you want for the finish line but you take a lap afterward so I can see how many minutes faster I am per lap.

100% serious.
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2022, 11:50 AM   #68
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
Lol, "Let's do a 60 ft"

Model 3 Performance?
Long range + acceleration boost.

1/8 mile would be a good race if you have faith in your car. Teslas aren’t known for top end except a plaid which we all already know.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 11:51 AM   #69
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Actually, doesn't matter.

Let's do it at Watkins Glen or NJMP next month.

I'll let you use how ever many inches you want for the finish line but you take a lap afterward so I can see how many minutes faster I am per lap.

100% serious.

I don’t track my m3 or my c7z so I’m not tracking my daily Tesla lol.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      08-26-2022, 12:23 PM   #70
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
Long range + acceleration boost.

1/8 mile would be a good race if you have faith in your car. Teslas aren’t known for top end except a plaid which we all already know.
You keep proving my point.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 01:25 PM   #71
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
The upcoming Porsche electric 718 should be a good indication of what the future may hold for EV sports cars.
Porsche will be the one to show what are the limits of current battery tech, when it comes to an EV small sports cars.

Mission R weights 3,300lbs. But that is basically a stripped out single-seat race car. Also uses extensive lightweight materials(carbon fiber chassis parts/body/seat, magnesium wheels, etc). It has a 82kwh battery pack that weighs 1,100lbs.

Take a current 718 Cayman, subtract engine/transmission weight. Add back battery pack/motor(or motors) weight. You could get a ball park of possible weight. They would be doing good to get it below 4,000lbs.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 01:26 PM   #72
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I disagree on the fill up faster than ICE presumption. Physics just gets in the way of this notion. Regardless of battery chemistry or design (i.e. solid state) electric motors draw current based on their HP rating, so battery capacity has to be large enough to hold a large amount of Joules to have the current draw and range capacity. 300 mile EVs have large batteries. Only so many Joules can be transferred over a copper wire regardless of the battery's speed it can store the energy. At high current rates, cables get heavy and hot. That has to be traded off for equipment cost and safety. It's not magic.
correct. the current battery tech and infrastructure isn't there. but there are plenty of companies working on solving this such as StoreDot
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 01:28 PM   #73
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You keep proving my point.
You have no point.

I already said when solid state comes, your argument is finished. I said that maybe 5 times now.

You keep cheerleading of todays technology and even by that logic, ev is on the ICE heels. Which I already said.

The title is electric sports cars and would we buy one. There aren’t many now so it’s hard to people to choose. I already said I’m getting an ev corvette when it’s available.

I then told you a plaid, 5000lbs pig is 1 second behind bmws flagship m5cs. Not a regular m5, an m5cs. A car that went through multiple generations to evolve.

A 10 year old model did it in……….10 years.

I can’t wait to update these threads in 1 year increments.
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2022, 01:50 PM   #74
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
You have no point.

I already said when solid state comes, your argument is finished. I said that maybe 5 times now.

You keep cheerleading of todays technology and even by that logic, ev is on the ICE heels. Which I already said.

The title is electric sports cars and would we buy one. There aren’t many now so it’s hard to people to choose. I already said I’m getting an ev corvette when it’s available.

I then told you a plaid, 5000lbs pig is 1 second behind bmws flagship m5cs. Not a regular m5, an m5cs. A car that went through multiple generations to evolve.

A 10 year old model did it in……….10 years.

I can’t wait to update these threads in 1 year increments.
Solid state battery tech that is readily available is a decade plus away. It is being pioneered by Toyota/Panasonic. It will first be used in hybrids, like the next gen Prius(2025).

Until then EV "sports cars" will be lacking the "light-ness" aspect of ice. EV's will get there but it will take probably two generations(minimum).

Take the Rimac Nevera for example. It is insanely quick in a straight line and handles respectably in corners. But it is still weighs over 4,700lbs despite it being built on a carbon fiber monocoque chassis. A McLaren Senna weighs 2,600lbs. Gordan Murrays T50 which is considered the epitome of driving perfection, weighs in at 2,174lbs. There is a long way to go and it won't be years, but rather decades.
Appreciate 1
overcoil3073.50
      08-26-2022, 02:36 PM   #75
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
Solid state battery tech that is readily available is a decade plus away. It is being pioneered by Toyota/Panasonic. It will first be used in hybrids, like the next gen Prius(2025).

Until then EV "sports cars" will be lacking the "light-ness" aspect of ice. EV's will get there but it will take probably two generations(minimum).

Take the Rimac Nevera for example. It is insanely quick in a straight line and handles respectably in corners. But it is still weighs over 4,700lbs despite it being built on a carbon fiber monocoque chassis. A McLaren Senna weighs 2,600lbs. Gordan Murrays T50 which is considered the epitome of driving perfection, weighs in at 2,174lbs. There is a long way to go and it won't be years, but rather decades.
Right. Which is why the “target date” of 2035 seems accurate in whatever plan the government has for us.

Btw, all cars have gained weight and still make fantastic track cars. Corvettes, the zl1-1le etc..

Is it an ideal platform? Nah but they could make due as we transition fully.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 02:55 PM   #76
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

No, but I'm not a sports car kind of guy to begin with. EV three box sedan, yes.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 02:55 PM   #77
Equilibrandt
Auto/DCT Zealot
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Miata

Garage List
For all of you stating you wouldn't drive an electric sports car, I'd ask you what you think of this from 2020:

Name:  Bisi P Car EV.png
Views: 468
Size:  1.39 MB

Fully-EV, 636 HP, 1216 kg; even has a Quaife to engage drive mode.
I'd kill for one of these, knowing one in ICE probably costs much more.

Sporty EVs don't have to be Taycans and Plaids. Maybe an EV Miata or a Lotus Emira?

Here's the SpeedHunters article on it: http://www.speedhunters.com/2020/02/...ding-bisimoto/
      08-26-2022, 03:18 PM   #78
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
I disagree on the fill up faster than ICE presumption. Physics just gets in the way of this notion. Regardless of battery chemistry or design (i.e. solid state) electric motors draw current based on their HP rating, so battery capacity has to be large enough to hold a large amount of Joules to have the current draw and range capacity. 300 mile EVs have large batteries. Only so many Joules can be transferred over a copper wire regardless of the battery's speed it can store the energy. At high current rates, cables get heavy and hot. That has to be traded off for equipment cost and safety. It's not magic.
Derived from Ohm's law, P = I^2*R. Increase the voltage and current decreases and thus losses in conductors decreases. The limitation is absolutely not the cables, it is the battery itself.

Quote:
I think you missed my point. The point is, there are physical mechanical limitations to moving high amounts of current over short time durations (i.e. tens of kilowatts in a matter of minutes) via a mechanical connection that is: (a) cost effective, and (b) safe for the operator. The battery technology is immaterial to the physics of the situation. It's a function of heat and why electrical circuits have circuit breakers...
This is really not the impediment you think it is. Does it require engineering solutions? Yes, but with HV silicon carbide device based DC-DC converters and the amount of money being poured into this, it is not a hard limit of physics.

Last edited by chris719; 08-26-2022 at 03:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 03:31 PM   #79
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrandt View Post
For all of you stating you wouldn't drive an electric sports car, I'd ask you what you think of this from 2020:

Attachment 2967422

Fully-EV, 636 HP, 1216 kg; even has a Quaife to engage drive mode.
I'd kill for one of these, knowing one in ICE probably costs much more.

Sporty EVs don't have to be Taycans and Plaids. Maybe an EV Miata or a Lotus Emira?

Here's the SpeedHunters article on it: http://www.speedhunters.com/2020/02/...ding-bisimoto/
People can claim victory just because EV is not fully there yet. But they're already here lol. That's the funny part.

Every year this technology just keeps improving and because manufacturers have a "time limit" on getting those EV's pumped out, we'll see them out there in the real world in no time.

But i guess if people want to celebrate victory of today, that's cool.

But like the old gumball saying, "it's not a race it's a rally!"

It'll be cool when we're all driving 10 second EV's and soccer moms are driving 11 second EV SUV's and our weekend toys are 9 second EV's, but we still have our amazing ICE toy we take out on occasion for nostalgic purposes that we can look back at the archives of these forums and think, "man we really didn't like EV's back then huh? Boy were we wrong".

haha
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2022, 08:06 PM   #80
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Porsche will be the one to show what are the limits of current battery tech, when it comes to an EV small sports cars.

Mission R weights 3,300lbs. But that is basically a stripped out single-seat race car. Also uses extensive lightweight materials(carbon fiber chassis parts/body/seat, magnesium wheels, etc). It has a 82kwh battery pack that weighs 1,100lbs.

Take a current 718 Cayman, subtract engine/transmission weight. Add back battery pack/motor(or motors) weight. You could get a ball park of possible weight. They would be doing good to get it below 4,000lbs.
It's about time though that frames and supports transition to Carbon Fiber...
      08-26-2022, 08:24 PM   #81
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:

I would assume, especially as time goes on and the cost of the battery packs goes down, that more money will be available for more exotic materials. Right now, the engine and transmission are the largest percentages of an ICE car's bill of materials.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 09:15 PM   #82
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravaggio View Post
Really don't want a SUV. And I don't want a heavy electric sedan with 35 aspect ratio tires.

Want an electric front wheel drive or rear wheel drive hatch, the size / height / length of a Golf or Subaru WRX, with 55 or 60 series aspect ratio tires and designed to be very good handling.
it's called a 2014 Nissan Leaf

*tsk you didn't say good looking

Appreciate 0