BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

06-25-2008, 11:06 PM   #23
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 DCT

Ok I get this noise too, but it seems like it's only on sharp banked turns. I can actually only hear it on one freeway interchange. I don't hear it on normal, level turns though. It sounds exactly like your video except mine is constant throughout the turn. tap tap tap tap tap tap and it's a bit faster than yours ... maybe because I'm going like 45 mph.

Nobody else has this?

MDCT ... so you can drive and eat a hamburger at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 11:19 PM   #24
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCTFTW View Post
God I hate the "that's normal" remark because it's sort of like they don't give a shit and just want you out of their hair. I would take it to another dealer for a second opinion ... it won't hurt. If that doesn't help then ride it out and make sure you just keep an eye out on it. Our cars are so new that nobody has any experience with them. I have a similar situation with a noise from my engine bay, but I have no idea what to do or who to ask. The only difference is that I can also hear my noise on a stock M but it's not nearly as loud so I'm ok with it for the time being. I do want to know what part of the engine is making that noise.

Did you try using a gift wrap tube to poke and listen to various parts of the engine and under carriage? Might help pinpoint the exact location/part it's coming from. Hopefully Snow gets back to you to help you out.
it'd be nice if he can explain what is causing the noise, not just whether it is normal or not. but he probably has no clue either.

bmw needs to publish an M guide that explains all the random quirks with the car to give some ease to the owners.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 10:57 AM   #25
bills742
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C, '08 M3, '20 323Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
bmw needs to publish an M guide that explains all the random quirks with the car to give some ease to the owners.
That would be very nice if BMW did that.
'08 M3 JB DCT Coupe /// DTEC Cree LED Angel Eyes / Mtech Super White Cornering Lights / Matte Black Kidneys & Gilles / 35-40% FormulaOne Pinnacle / VRS Boot / VRS II Diffuser / AA exhaust / Fabspeed HFC & X-pipe / Eibach Springs / RDSport Front Bumper / 19" Satin Charcoal HRE P40 / RPI Scoops / PSW (Non-electronic) / BMW Stainless Steel Pedals / LeatherZ Alcantara Boots
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 10:44 AM   #26
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by bills742 View Post
That would be very nice if BMW did that.
True...

The noise is hard to diagnose over the net. It sort of sounds external to me....but, again, hard to tell not being there.

OTOH, a noise like that sounds like an oiling issue as well. Could be wrong oil, lifter tap (common on the E36 M3's after some sprited driving), etc. but if I had to guess, I would say it is an external noise of some sort.

I would keep on driving it and keep on taking it in to the dealership too. Document document document! Then, if something happens down the road...maybe even WAY down the road, you have a history of complaining about that noise.....this would increase your chances of getting it fixed when it is out of warranty (although that will be a ways away!), but still, I would keep bringing it in, or even take to another dealer in your area to see their take.

As an asside: I had an E36 M3 that was under warranty. It had a strange "vibration/harmonic" when you would keep the rpms from 1500-2500 in neutral. I took it to the local dealer, they said "that is not normal" and looked at the car...after a week, they said "that IS normal, nothings wrong with it". So, I took it to another dealer, whe I dropped it off, they said "that's not normal". After a week, they could find nothing wrong with it but a tech from Germany was flying out the next week. I agreed to have them keep the car so he could look at it. After that week, they said "it is normal, nothing is wrong with it". Not satisfied, and knowing they are retards, I took it to an independent shop that was highly recommended. I explained the vibration to the owner, he got it, reved it to 2000 rpm and held it there. About 2 seconds later he said, "I know what that is....you dual mass flywheel is shot". I was like WTF, seriously? lol. Then he added that if I wanted a performance upgrade, we could swap it out for a single mass 325 fw, an E30 HD clutch, etc. all for about the same price as the E36 M3 stock flywheel itself! lol. Needless to say, I upgraded everything and was super happy about it. I was amazed at how 2 dealers in three weeks time could not solve such a simple issue...and how this guy can sit in my car for 2 seconds and NAIL it. I think if the fricken OBD reader doesn't pick it up at the dealer, they are clueless to figure it out.

Moral of the story: If you know something aint right with the car, keep fighting the good fight! It will be fixed, eventually!
2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2008, 01:40 PM   #27
farbarg
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SSII e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 Tim View Post
True...

Moral of the story: If you know something aint right with the car, keep fighting the good fight! It will be fixed, eventually!
A bit off topic, but I agree strongly with GT3 Tim. I had an Isuzu Vehicross and brought it to two dealers with a "clunking" sound. They both wanted gobs of money to change out steering components. I took it to some independent shop and the guy was like, uh, your front shock is bad. Which, of course, fixed the problem.
Appreciate 0