BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

10-31-2012, 12:34 PM   #45
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
honestly no. either in the beat or the M i'm just too lazy. rather do my good deed in other ways
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 12:39 PM   #46
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

Do I look like Triple freking A? I'd do it w/o question driving the 98 4 runner, but the M or 335d I think I'd pass.

I probably would though if I drove a 2008 M3
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 12:55 PM   #47
Elaz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92m

not to be an ass but i jumped a couple of people in my beater and it messed up my alternator.I later found out that i was supposed to have disconnected the red plug from the battery so that it didn't screw it up.So that being said i would help someone out with my beater. don't think i would take a chance if i where to be in my M.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 01:38 PM   #48
///Mperative
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: like grandma

Garage List
2014 BMW 550xi  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXXX View Post
Yeah, co-ordinating +/- symbols together w/ your cables can be extremely difficult. As a matter of fact nuclear physics students must pass this grueling task before getting their PhD designation.
Agreed. I'm always worried I'll cut the wrong wire and the whole thing will blow up.
      10-31-2012, 01:41 PM   #49
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNate View Post
Not with this car. Sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MStar View Post
Jump start a car with my M3???..hell no ..BMWs dont like being used for jump starting or being jump started
Quote:
Originally Posted by MStar View Post
Say what you will but the electrical systems (relays, control modules,etc) on BMWs are very susceptible to voltage fluctuations..learned this the hard way bud
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlynkid View Post
i will with my dodge diesel truck with dual HD batteries, but not with the $500 battery that requires dealer programming to change. every jump does shorten their lives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
honestly no. either in the beat or the M i'm just too lazy. rather do my good deed in other ways
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
Do I look like Triple freking A? I'd do it w/o question driving the 98 4 runner, but the M or 335d I think I'd pass.

I probably would though if I drove a 2008 M3
Wow, pathetic. I hope some of these posts are meant to be humorous.
      10-31-2012, 01:55 PM   #50
davesaddiction
is fast cars
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT SSII BPM Stg II

So, super-duper-coincidentally, one of my coworkers came to my office before lunch and asked me if I could help her jump her car. Apparently she'd left her light on. I said I'd be happy to help out.

We pull my car up next to hers in her driveway and proceed to try to jump it using the connection in the front and the ground point. No go. So, we open up the trunk to take a look at the battery, but we can't find a way to get a good connection on the positive terminal in the back. We end up deciding to pull the cables apart far enough so that we can connect the positive in the front and the negative to the battery in the back. Presto!

So anyway, in the words of Abraham Lincoln: Be excellent to each other.

people > stuff
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 01:57 PM   #51
WRXXX
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 SG M3 (SOLD), '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewlef View Post
Agreed. I'm always worried I'll cut the wrong wire and the whole thing will blow up.
Yet you managed to drive an M3 without crashing. Must be nice to have something like that fall on your lap without actually working for it.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 01:59 PM   #52
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Yea, everytime you jump start a car, yours might end up looking like that Lambo...

Serious question: How can you consider yourself a car guy if you don't even know how to give someone a jump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesaddiction View Post
So, super-duper-coincidentally, one of my coworkers came to my office before lunch and asked me if I could help her jump her car. Apparently she'd left her light on. I said I'd be happy to help out.

We pull my car up next to hers in her driveway and proceed to try to jump it using the connection in the front and the ground point. No go. So, we open up the trunk to take a look at the battery, but we can't find a way to get a good connection on the positive terminal in the back. We end up deciding to pull the cables apart far enough so that we can connect the positive in the front and the negative to the battery in the back. Presto!

So anyway, in the words of Abraham Lincoln: Be excellent to each other.

people > stuff
Weird... I would have thought the front would work just fine? I used the front leads on my E46 to give someone a boost in a Walmart parking lot. Like I said, what goes around comes around.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 01:59 PM   #53
konaforever
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Red GTR

I know who not to ask for a jump start now!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 02:19 PM   #54
///Mperative
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 550xi  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Yet you managed to drive an M3 without crashing. Must be nice to have something like that fall on your lap without actually working for it.
You don't know what you're talking about. Nothing I own fell into my lap. I work for everything I have. I'll thank you not to make baseless assumptions about me.

And what does a jump start have to do with driving ability? Plenty of mechanics can't drive for crap; I assume you haven't seen the numerous stories of SA's crashing customer cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Yea, everytime you jump start a car, yours might end up looking like that Lambo...

Serious question: How can you consider yourself a car guy if you don't even know how to give someone a jump?
Isn't that how the Aventador caught fire on that test drive? Lol.

Seriously, I've never had to give anyone a jump with my M3 (or vice versa) and I don't carry jumper cables with me. I've done it in the past with different cars (like Hondas and such). I'd have to read the manual, though I imagine it's pretty easy. I can change all my wheels myself (though it's a pain in the ass), change the oil, various fluids, install trim/accessories/sound systems, etc. so I'm not inept.

------
However, I wouldn't feel great about giving a jump-start to someone's rusty old beater unless it was a genuine emergency. There's really no upside for me, just the potential for damaging my electrical system somehow. It's just not worth it.

Besides, isn't that what tow trucks and AAA are for? I wouldn't want to take work from a hard-working tow truck driver. By the same token, I wouldn't impose on a stranger by asking them for a jump (unless I was stranded in the middle of nowhere w/o cell reception).

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaforever View Post
I know who not to ask for a jump start now!
I'd give a jump to anyone who drives a GT-R, if they had the cables.

Last edited by ///Mperative; 10-31-2012 at 02:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 02:48 PM   #55
WRXXX
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 SG M3 (SOLD), '17 M2

Quote:
You don't know what you're talking about. Nothing I own fell into my lap. I work for everything I have. I'll thank you not to make baseless assumptions about me.

And what does a jump start have to do with driving ability? Plenty of mechanics can't drive for crap; I assume you haven't seen the numerous stories of SA's crashing customer cars.

Isn't that how the Aventador caught fire on that test drive? Lol.

Seriously, I've never had to give anyone a jump with my M3 (or vice versa) and I don't carry jumper cables with me. I've done it in the past with different cars (like Hondas and such). I'd have to read the manual, though I imagine it's pretty easy. I can change all my wheels myself (though it's a pain in the ass), change the oil, various fluids, install trim/accessories/sound systems, etc. so I'm not inept.

------
However, I wouldn't feel great about giving a jump-start to someone's rusty old beater unless it was a genuine emergency. There's really no upside for me, just the potential for damaging my electrical system somehow. It's just not worth it.

Besides, isn't that what tow trucks and AAA are for? I wouldn't want to take work from a hard-working tow truck driver. By the same token, I wouldn't impose on a stranger by asking them for a jump (unless I was stranded in the middle of nowhere w/o cell reception).

I'd give a jump to anyone who drives a GT-R, if they had the cables.
You sir, are not only ignorant but is why people think M3 drivers have no friends. I sure hope you are stranded in the middle of nowhere w/o reception, starving and then have some douche drive by and tell you there's really no upside for him to help you out by giving a boost.

Stay ignorant my friend. Stay ignorant.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 02:52 PM   #56
MStar
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by faith&firepower View Post
Actually you can't just jump a Ferarri....at least on the old 360's you'll short out the instrument cluster and its a $3000 fix plus shipping to NJ. I used to work in a high line garage and a customer did exactly that...after we told him not to and even gave him a trickle charger for the winter months. It happened once it got warm out and he NEEDED to drive the car....some people can't wait 4 hours, or set shit up the night before.
Exactly what happened to me on an '04 330i I had..thats why never again..

To all the good summaritan do-gooders..thats what roadside assistance is for.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 03:07 PM   #57
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
You sir, are not only ignorant but is why people think M3 drivers have no friends. I sure hope you are stranded in the middle of nowhere w/o reception, starving and then have some douche drive by and tell you there's really no upside for him to help you out by giving a boost.

I think you are misusing the work ignorant. How does him not wanting to jump a strangers car does make him ignorant?

Some of you are way too sensitive on here. I dont think that declining to help a stranger jump their car makes you a terrible person. Some people are comfortable doing it and some arent.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 03:10 PM   #58
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1000 View Post
Helped an old lady in a target parking lot just after getting my car. She tried to give me $10. haha.
I think that the $10 was for the other kind of jump start...
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 03:24 PM   #59
e1000
that's what SHE said!
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
I think that the $10 was for the other kind of jump start...
      10-31-2012, 03:43 PM   #60
ilya335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Nice to have threads like these to separate the douche bags...
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 03:49 PM   #61
///Mperative
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 550xi  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Clearly you don't know what ignorant means. If I don't want to give someone a jump, that is my right and it does not make me a bad (or ignorant) person. At worst, it makes me mildly inconsiderate and I can live with that. By the same token, the person asking for the jump is also inconsiderate and/or ignorant. With few exceptions, a dead battery is either the result of carelessness (leaving a light on) or failure to maintain the vehicle properly (deferred maintenance). The dead battery is generally proof of that person's ignorance of the proper way to treat one's vehicle. I, on the other hand, know how to treat my vehicles and I've never had a dead battery.

That said, where is it written that one must give a jump start to anyone who asks? And how is it a sign of ignorance if I refuse said request? Maybe I should also pick up hitchhikers and allow those who run out of gas to siphon some from my gas tank. I'm sure you do all these things, since you seem to be such a shining beacon of kindness and tolerance.

Though it is tempting, I will not stoop to your level and I will not respond in kind to your insulting and uninformed comments about my character.
      10-31-2012, 05:14 PM   #62
808@702
8th BMW, 520th Surfboard
Rep
Drives: My girlfriends crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya335 View Post
Wow, dick now douchbag. I no believe you people . Growing up in Hawaii I was basically a surf bum for the first 25 years of my life. I drove more than my share of beaters, gave and received so many jump starts and gas siphons its second nature to me. Now I choose to place my employment as a priority to take care of my family and friends over helping some kid who let his battery die. Does that make me or anyone a bad person? Hell No!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 05:29 PM   #63
ilya335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808@702 View Post
Wow, dick now douchbag. I no believe you people . Growing up in Hawaii I was basically a surf bum for the first 25 years of my life. I drove more than my share of beaters, gave and received so many jump starts and gas siphons its second nature to me. Now I choose to place my employment as a priority to take care of my family and friends over helping some kid who let his battery die. Does that make me or anyone a bad person? Hell No!!!
Sorry, I was not directing my comment at you OP. You did mention that you were in a hurry, and the fact that you even made this thread, shows that you were concerned.

People who absolutely refuse to help others because they drive a M or because the other car is a beater, just sound obnoxious.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 06:26 PM   #64
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Porsche Cayman

Garage List
You know this thread, as most these days, has become absolutely laughable. Someone asks a question and someone else doesn't like the answer and a bloodbath ensues. I said I wouldn't in this M3 and I STILL WOULDN'T. In my other car, yes. Let's say that you folks changed my viewpoint and I went out and gave someone a jump in the M3 and it fried something. I bet nobody on this board would contribute one thin dime to what would be an EXTREMELY expensive and AVOIDABLE repair if solicited! Guess what, neither would BMW. END THREAD PLEASE.
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 06:30 PM   #65
MStar
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya335 View Post
So d-bags because some of us dont wanna chance frying the electronics on our cars ..

Carry on minion.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 06:34 PM   #66
MStar
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNate View Post
You know this thread, as most these days, has become absolutely laughable.Someone asks a question and someone else doesn't like the answer and a bloodbath ensues. I said I wouldn't in this M3 and I STILL WOULDN'T. In my other car, yes. Let's say that you folks changed my viewpoint and I went out and gave someone a jump in the M3 and it fried something. I bet nobody on this board would contribute one thin dime to what would be an EXTREMELY expensive and AVOIDABLE repair if solicited! Guess what, neither would BMW. END THREAD PLEASE.
Dude its classic forum-ism, bolg etiquette, whatever you want to call it. If you dont fold in nicely and follow the rest of the sheep you are ostracized and called names..sticking to your opinion shows you have character..good for you.

+1 I am happy to give a boost to anyone..just not with my BMW.
Appreciate 0