BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

Mporium BMW

01-02-2009, 11:56 PM   #1
Rook
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 Sedan Jet Black

Garage List
2008 e90 M3  [0.00]
2007 Acura MDX  [0.00]
E90 M3 side gill switchout???

I ordered matte black side gills for my car. I know how to get them in and out of the car, my problem is once they are out the chrome piece is attached to a black plastic casing (this has a honeycomb look to it) and i cannot figure out how to get these two apart so I can replace the chrome with my new black ones and put them back in the car. Please help, and remember this is for the e90 side gills not the e92!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2009, 02:40 AM   #2
Rook
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 Sedan Jet Black

Garage List
2008 e90 M3  [0.00]
2007 Acura MDX  [0.00]
Please! I know there are m3 sedan owners who have swaped their side chrome grills for black ones, please explain this!!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2009, 04:12 AM   #3
spectrumphoto
Just another peanut in the Turd!
United_States
Rep
Drives: g16M850;f30M550;f80M3-ED;e90M3

I have heard that there is a torx screw back there. Remove that and then it should snap out easily I believe

Last edited by spectrumphoto; 01-05-2009 at 02:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 01:13 AM   #4
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M3C XDrive-Ind Grey Blk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook View Post
I ordered matte black side gills for my car. I know how to get them in and out of the car, my problem is once they are out the chrome piece is attached to a black plastic casing (this has a honeycomb look to it) and i cannot figure out how to get these two apart so I can replace the chrome with my new black ones and put them back in the car. Please help, and remember this is for the e90 side gills not the e92!
Proper removal will leave the honeycomb part you mention in place. It is not supposed to come out. See if you can separate the chrome piece from the black casing. There are several tabs that hold it to the black casing. If you can access these tabs from the back you should be able to get them separated.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2009, 10:33 AM   #5
R68
Maverick-y
Rep
Drives: M Uber Alles

E90 owners MUST READ

The chrome piece will not separate w/o removing the torx screw. I would advise all e90 owners to abort this particular mod. The e92 removal methods do not work for the e90. I ended up going to my dealer to check the parts diagrams on how to remove the grill. BMW says to use the BMW plastic cards (like a credit card) and a zip tie!!! The diagram shows: insert the card between the grill and quarter panel to disengage the tabs, then stick a zip tie in/out of the honeycomb and yank on the whole assembly!!! Ya right, it took bruit strength from two of us only after removing the wheel, wheel well and washer fluid reservoir just to get behind the passenger side grill. After finally getting the assembly out, the only way to swap the chrome part out is to damage it by squeezing the tabs with channel locks. After seeing how impenetrable this grill was and the potential for damaging the car, I just put everything back and returned the grills to JLevi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KANdaddy View Post
Proper removal will leave the honeycomb part you mention in place. It is not supposed to come out. See if you can separate the chrome piece from the black casing. There are several tabs that hold it to the black casing. If you can access these tabs from the back you should be able to get them separated.
      01-11-2009, 02:30 AM   #6
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R68 View Post
The chrome piece will not separate w/o removing the torx screw. I would advise all e90 owners to abort this particular mod. The e92 removal methods do not work for the e90. I ended up going to my dealer to check the parts diagrams on how to remove the grill. BMW says to use the BMW plastic cards (like a credit card) and a zip tie!!! The diagram shows: insert the card between the grill and quarter panel to disengage the tabs, then stick a zip tie in/out of the honeycomb and yank on the whole assembly!!! Ya right, it took bruit strength from two of us only after removing the wheel, wheel well and washer fluid reservoir just to get behind the passenger side grill. After finally getting the assembly out, the only way to swap the chrome part out is to damage it by squeezing the tabs with channel locks. After seeing how impenetrable this grill was and the potential for damaging the car, I just put everything back and returned the grills to JLevi.
WTF??! LOL! Dude not sure why you had so much trouble. Mine popped out perfectly fine, exactly like with the e92. Seriously, this is such an easy procedure. I am not sure why so many have a problem with it.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 10:56 AM   #7
R68
Maverick-y
Rep
Drives: M Uber Alles

Yo Dude,

Not sure either. I couldn't get it nor could the dealer. My tech wrestled with it for 45 minutes (luckily free of charge) to no avail. He's removed them before on E92 with no problem. Even using BMW's removal method failed.

In hindsight, I think I know why some e90 owners are having issues and others are not. If my hunch is correct, the problem is due to the occasional excess plastic (excess squeezed out during the injection molding process) in the space where the chrome tabs enters the honeycomb housing. Simply put, this excess prevents the tabs from moving. The only way around this would be to remove the entire housing and trim the excess with a razor blade. In looking at the back of the assembly, the excess was only on 3 or 4 of the tabs but that was enough to prevent compression and removal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KANdaddy View Post
WTF??! LOL! Dude not sure why you had so much trouble. Mine popped out perfectly fine, exactly like with the e92. Seriously, this is such an easy procedure. I am not sure why so many have a problem with it.
      01-12-2009, 11:57 AM   #8
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
In hindsight, I think I know why some e90 owners are having issues and others are not. If my hunch is correct, the problem is due to the occasional excess plastic (excess squeezed out during the injection molding process) in the space where the chrome tabs enters the honeycomb housing. Simply put, this excess prevents the tabs from moving. The only way around this would be to remove the entire housing and trim the excess with a razor blade. In looking at the back of the assembly, the excess was only on 3 or 4 of the tabs but that was enough to prevent compression and removal.
Could be.

I even went back and looked at my stock ones to make sure I didnt' break one and just not realize it. Both were in perfect condition. Strange.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 09:13 PM   #9
jbrucebmw
jbrucebmw
Rep
Drives: 09 M5 95 M3 85 M635CSi...

Yeah, I still have not been able to get mine off. Total PITA.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 11:18 AM   #10
mrtm2008
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 Sedan

Quote:
That or his car was built NOT on a Friday!
08 E90 M3, JrzB/BB, 360 Forged 8 Mesh, H&R Springs, RPI Scoops, Eisenmann Sport Exh, VRS Lip, CF Decklid, CF Diffuser, OSS LED AE, Rear Headrest V1, '09 iDrive Controller, Euro Rear Fog, OEM BlackLine TL, MRTM Design E90 Pedals & Door Lock Studs
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 04:37 AM   #11
mye90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 330I

longtran did a write up before... might want to PM him for more info
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 01:43 AM   #12
REP1KRR
My other car is a Scooter'ia
Rep
Drives: M3 Saloon

Any success on these little buggers coming off? Mine arrive next week and would love to get a handle on it before hand. KANdaddy, you're the only one that has seemed to have had success? Advise?

A91 Edition Supra | Armytrix | Rays
M3 Saloon | Akrapovic EVO | B&G Sport
M3 Saloon | VF540 | Klässen ID M52-R | Akrapovic | Vorsteiner GTS5 | KarbonWerke CSL [SOLD]
Appreciate 0