BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-05-2009, 01:34 PM   #1
mrtm2008
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 Sedan

Thumbs up E90 M3 Eisenmann Sport Exhaust & Pipes from IND installed...

Well I ordered & received the E90 M3 Eisenmann Sport Exhaust & Eisenmann connecting pipes from IND yesterday!!!

This will be a little bit DIY (I installed it myself) and of course my initial take on the sound...

I got to the end of making this post & realized that I never mentioned my application for going with the Sport over Race Exhaust. My application is that my E90 M3 is my family car that I use almost daily. I have a 15 month old daughter that rides in the car most of the time (when she's not in mommy's X5) and I can't have an exhaust that is too loud or that has a very bad drone. I wanted a much deeper sound than stock and the Eisenmann Sport Exhaust sounded like the perfect exhaust for me...

The Eisenmann Sport Exhaust & Connecting Pipe comes VERY well protected from IND (as did ALL of the products from IND I've purchased):

The quality of the connecting pipes & Exhaust are as expected! I started by unwraping the connecting pipes and clamps:

I started to unwrap the Exhaust & found myself having the pipes where the Eisenmann Connecting Pipes attach to only exposed, so I realized it would be wise to make sure that they would go together smoothly now, instead of fighting with it whlie I was under the car. So I then grabbed the collapsing ring from the clamp:

and placed them around each pipe opening & used a small mallet to make sure the Exhaust pipe opening was almost completely round to accmodate each connecting pipe:

And then test fit each connecting pipe:

Satisfied that I just saved myself from throwing something after getting pissed off & being forced to do more work uncomfortably under my car...I unwrapped the Bad Boy!!!

Eisenmann E90 M3 "Limousine" Sport Exhaust:

One benifit of buying stuff from IND is that after you unwrap your parts, you have supplies that can be re-used for wrapping anything you desire. This is just the bubble wrap I saved:

I also have A LOT of microfiber cloth sheets from other IND products they have shipped me that I've washed & use when washing my car!

Anyway...I then decided it would be wise to cover up the exhaust tips during the install (actually re-used 2 microfiber sheets from IND, lol):

From here I pulled my E90 M3 up on ramps to have access to working on the job at hand:

Well, I went under the car to see what I needed to do. I unbolted the stock clamps and remembered from my Jeep days, that some soapy water would help lubricate and loosed the rubber exhaust hangers. So I grabbed a device that we got on our last trip to Disney World...My 15 month old ripped off all but one of the rubber propellor blades already, so thanks to Mickey Mouse & my daughter Emma, I was good to go with a soapy spray bottle:

I'm not showing it, but the soapy water helped (along with a small crowbar) to get the stock exhaust off of the rubber hangers & with the help of my rolling jack, got the stock exhaust out:

From the picture, you also see that you have to unscrew the rear 2 bumper screws & unscrew 2 sprocket head type screws to get the exhaust out without doing any possible damage to the rear diffuser area. It was much easier taking off the rubber hangers on the rear of the stock exhaust after it is taken out.

You then transfer over all the parts from the stock exhaust to the Eisenmann Sport Exhaust. I the rigged up my rolling jack & started to get the Eisenmann exhaust into place (sorry about the bit of blur in it):

From here, I jacked up the exhaust & loosly tightened the exhaust into place. I then connect each connecting pipe & hand tightened them. Once both connecting pipes were installed, I proceded to fully tighten the exhaust nuts. Then I went back & fully tightened each connecting pipe.

I took the microfiber cloths off the exhaust tips & here is the finished product:

OK...as a VERY initial opinion when I first started up the car, it sounded a little deeper than stock, but my car was nowhere near warmed up, nor was the exhaust of course! It was dinner time by then, so I had to call it a night.

Well...today I was able to take a drive up north a bit & really made an effort to "hear" the exhaust compared to stock. I drove with the music almost not on to fully on (how I listen to it).

Around town & in the low gears & low rpm (1000-3000) it is very deep and then lessens. In 4th gear & around 4000 rpm you can't even hear the exhaust.

On the highway, there is a little drone at 80 mph & in 6th gear, but it is right at the same level as my Nitto tires sound I normally heard, so it wasn't a problem. Also, this was after the engine was warmed & the Eisenmann exhaust was warmed up.

Inside the cabin you honestly barely hear the exhaust until you get on the gas. And when you get on the gas, the noise level inside the cabin is no more than the stock...BUT SOUNDS mean & so much better then stock!

So I've only put maybe 30 miles in today & it's still a while for the exhaust to fully break in...but so far, I absolutely LOVE the Eisenmann Sport Exhaust for my application!

Also HUGE props again to IND for providing me with another great product that was protected like no other company I've ever dealt with!
08 E90 M3, JrzB/BB, 360 Forged 8 Mesh, H&R Springs, RPI Scoops, Eisenmann Sport Exh, VRS Lip, CF Decklid, CF Diffuser, OSS LED AE, Rear Headrest V1, '09 iDrive Controller, Euro Rear Fog, OEM BlackLine TL, MRTM Design E90 Pedals & Door Lock Studs
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Great write up, thanks. How long did it take you?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 01:49 PM   #3
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Well, not only a good review but a good DIY as well. Talk about contingency planning to prevent issues--you have all the bases covered....cool. Good work on making this an easier one person job with the approach.

I see IND has added themal protection to the areas close to the rear CV boots (just like stock). Something I need to do before reinstalling my aftermarket exhaust....

Last edited by Finnegan; 11-05-2009 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: Corrected CV protection vs. earlier incorrect Diff statement
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 01:50 PM   #4
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

What a beauty!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 01:56 PM   #5
IND-Distribution
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: G82 M4 / G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
I see IND has added themal protection to the areas close to the diff (just like stock). Something I need to do before reinstalling my aftermarket exhaust....
The connecting pipes come with a cloth thermal protection, but after some long talks here at IND, along with some conversations with people who race the E92 M3 in Koni Challenge, we decided that additional thermal protection was necessary. We chose to purchase these ThermoTec heat shields, and install them on every set of connecting pipes we sell. I'd strongly recommend doing this on any aftermarket exhaust for the E9x M3!
      11-05-2009, 02:06 PM   #6
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilia@IND View Post
The connecting pipes come with a cloth thermal protection, but after some long talks here at IND, along with some conversations with people who race the E92 M3 in Koni Challenge, we decided that additional thermal protection was necessary. We chose to purchase these ThermoTec heat shields, and install them on every set of connecting pipes we sell. I'd strongly recommend doing this on any aftermarket exhaust for the E9x M3!
Aren't those exhaust heat shields there to deflect heat away from the rear CV boots, rather than the diff?
      11-05-2009, 02:13 PM   #7
IND-Distribution
Rep

Drives: G82 M4 / G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
Aren't those exhaust heat shields there to deflect heat away from the rear CV boots, rather than the diff?
Exactly correct. The rear CVs can be damaged by excessive heat, so it pays to shield them as well as possible.
      11-05-2009, 05:19 PM   #8
Nate@IND
Rep

Drives: BMW

Thanks for the kind words. Enjoy the new Eisenmann
      11-05-2009, 05:24 PM   #9
mrtm2008
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post
Great write up, thanks. How long did it take you?
Taking my time & taking pictures about 3-3 1/2 hours. The longest time will take unpacking the exhaust & getting the rubber hangers off of the stock pipes (the connecting pipes replace this section).

You will need 8mm & 13mm long sockets, a 10-12" extension for your ratchet & a small prybar and flat head screwdriver.
08 E90 M3, JrzB/BB, 360 Forged 8 Mesh, H&R Springs, RPI Scoops, Eisenmann Sport Exh, VRS Lip, CF Decklid, CF Diffuser, OSS LED AE, Rear Headrest V1, '09 iDrive Controller, Euro Rear Fog, OEM BlackLine TL, MRTM Design E90 Pedals & Door Lock Studs
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 05:45 PM   #10
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
Yep. My earlier statement was incorrect (I went back and cleared that up and noted the reason). Bottom line it's something you want to do for very good reasons.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 06:56 PM   #11
Johnny Lin
Lieutenant General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

Sick mods, congrats~
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 07:24 PM   #12
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Congrats on getting one of the best sounding exhausts available for the M3!

You certainly can't go wrong ordering anything from IND. The way they pack their products for shipping, it would take an absolute catastrophe to damage anything.

On my Dinan exhaust, I used a slightly different product to insulate the exhaust pipes for CV boot protection. Instead of their sleeves, I went with ThermoTec's exhaust insulating wrap and covered it with their hi-heat sealant coating for durability. I'm not saying that one way is better than the other, just offering an idea for a different solution. Regardless, it's good to see that IND had the foresight and attention to detail to include this protection with their product.
      11-05-2009, 09:14 PM   #13
mrtm2008
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
Congrats on getting one of the best sounding exhausts available for the M3!

You certainly can't go wrong ordering anything from IND. The way they pack their products for shipping, it would take an absolute catastrophe to damage anything.

On my Dinan exhaust, I used a slightly different product to insulate the exhaust pipes for CV boot protection. Instead of their sleeves, I went with ThermoTec's exhaust insulating wrap and covered it with their hi-heat sealant coating for durability. I'm not saying that one way is better than the other, just offering an idea for a different solution. Regardless, it's good to see that IND had the foresight and attention to detail to include this protection with their product.
Thanks...I really love this exhaust. I had to go out to the pharmacy tonight in my car, hehe, & it just amazes me how quiet this exhaust is where it needs to be, driving 15 mph at 1500 rpm driving through my apt. complex and cruising at 2500 rpm around town. When you give it some quick throttle, it roars in that bellowed low tone that a V8 should have!!!

On a side note...moving to the Houston area may be happening for us next year...we haven't decided yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 09:28 PM   #14
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Great choice and nicely done with the write up!!

I swear IND must spend more money in packing material than the actual cost of the shipping.

This is why we love working with them!
      11-05-2009, 09:43 PM   #15
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtm2008 View Post
Thanks...I really love this exhaust. I had to go out to the pharmacy tonight in my car, hehe, & it just amazes me how quiet this exhaust is where it needs to be, driving 15 mph at 1500 rpm driving through my apt. complex and cruising at 2500 rpm around town. When you give it some quick throttle, it roars in that bellowed low tone that a V8 should have!!!

On a side note...moving to the Houston area may be happening for us next year...we haven't decided yet.
Interesting coincidence. I actually lived in Florida for 12 years before moving to Texas. Let me know if you have any questions or need help with anything on that front.
      11-06-2009, 11:52 AM   #16
mrtm2008
Lieutenant
Rep

As I was on the highway about 1 hour ago with my wife & daughter in the car, I noticed like I first stated that the drone at 80 mph (approx. 3400 rpm) in 6th gear equals that of the road noise I usually hear from my Nittos. When I was at 75 mph (approx. 3200 rpm), though, the drone got slightly louder but was still bearable. then down at 70 mph (approx. 3000 rpm) the drone went back down to the same level as my tire road noise.

INSIDE the car, around town, you do not hear the exhaust unless you give it some gas and push the car a little. It has an amazing deep throaty sound at idle & just above (approx. 500 rpm-2000 rpm).
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 09:38 PM   #17
Suprane
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 E90

I was happy to read your thread...I am in the same situation you were..I just got my E.Sport and pipes a few days ago (still have not unwrapped it all). Obviously its great to see you take off your stock, put the Eisenmann on and love its sound. Shiblanor also has a good post on taking stock off. MANY THANKS. I
      11-09-2009, 01:34 PM   #18
mrtm2008
Lieutenant
Rep

Thumbs up

Some Videos I did today:
E90 M3 with Eisenmann Sport Exhaust - Cruising

E90 M3 with Eisenmann Sport Exhaust - Inside Reving Engine

E90 M3 with Eiesnmann Sport Exhaust - Outside Reving Engine
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 05:41 AM   #19
Suprane
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I am planning on doing this today. (Same setup) . First time so I had two questions (sorry if they sound noob)...is there any specific torque to apply on the clamps at the conn.pipes and exhaust joint? or do I just tighten to the max? Also, we don't need any anti seize at any connections, right? (read an old post where some was used)..
      11-14-2009, 12:40 PM   #20
Suprane
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just wanted to thank mrtm2008 and shiblanor for their write ups and DIY. Just finished taking off the stock and installing the E. Sport with pipes. It could not have gone smoother. About 4 hours (I'm slow). Took some pics (see profile).
Your tip about checking the connections (pipes with exhaust) was very helpful.. I had to use a ball pein to get it round and I cant imagine doing that under the car!
My dealer quoted me $275 for the install and up until a week ago, I was thinking of letting them do it.
That moment after its all done and you get in the car about to start it...priceless..
      11-14-2009, 05:52 PM   #21
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprane View Post
Just wanted to thank mrtm2008 and shiblanor for their write ups and DIY. Just finished taking off the stock and installing the E. Sport with pipes. It could not have gone smoother. About 4 hours (I'm slow). Took some pics (see profile).
Your tip about checking the connections (pipes with exhaust) was very helpful.. I had to use a ball pein to get it round and I cant imagine doing that under the car!
My dealer quoted me $275 for the install and up until a week ago, I was thinking of letting them do it.
That moment after its all done and you get in the car about to start it...priceless..
+1

I just experienced that feeling yesterday!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 07:59 PM   #22
mrtm2008
Lieutenant
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprane View Post
Congrats! Happy to help!

I might have to go back & readjust the gap between the tips & the VRS diffuser. To my eye, I think there is a tad more space on the passanger side...so if you need to do the same...the asjustment is made by loosening the clamps where the pipes & exhaust connect & readjust exhaust & then re-tighten clamps.
Appreciate 0