BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

07-16-2008, 10:36 AM   #1
ibrennan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Frozen Gray M3

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Remove ECU

I need to remove my ECU to send it to a tuning company for a reflash... does anyone know how to physically remove it?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 10:42 AM   #2
CatchM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X6M Competition DG

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [9.00]
Hmm...good question. Which company?
      07-16-2008, 10:42 AM   #3
ibrennan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Frozen Gray M3

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
ESS Tuning
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 10:46 AM   #4
CatchM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X6M Competition DG

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [9.00]
+1 on how to remove ECU.
      07-16-2008, 02:07 PM   #5
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

You should be able to call up ESS and have them explain to you...

jason
      07-16-2008, 02:14 PM   #6
gadget
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92///M SSII DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
You should be able to call up ESS and have them explain to you...

jason

good point, If they don't know how to remove it then I'd be a little concerned about their abilty to do a reflash that won't blow up your engine.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 12:22 PM   #7
IWC Doppel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

Any news on the ESS retune ?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 08:55 PM   #8
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Do not use ESS for a tune. It's a bad idea. Their support in the US is extremely lacking when I left the company, and I'm not too happy with the tune that was on my E90 M3.

The DME is located in the front passenger corner of the car. It's fairly easy to get to. If you want any more info or are looking for a better tune, let me know.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 10:02 PM   #9
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Mike:

Pardon my directness: If you even remotely think the first PROTOTYPE version you wanted and got for FREE after AJ stayed hours after Bimmerfest ended this year to flash it on your car is *anywhere* close to the production version available now... you are sorely mistaken. And your response here is quite opposite of the feedback you gave me after driving even that version. You loved it. Take your personal beef elsewhere.

To everyone else, I do apologize. The E9x M3 software is complete and will be updated on the ESS site with dynos and more soon. There is an ESS-Tuned E92 M3 that just successfully completed the cross-country AKA Rally and ESS is currently programming a pair of E9x M3s right here at M-Fest.

Their personal feedback will be posted with their individual dyno results. If you would like to wait for that feedback, we understand and look forward to their results and thoughts!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 10:33 PM   #10
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3

Can't wait to see a dyno of the ESS software.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2008, 05:53 PM   #11
argonboy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 Space Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvelPhx View Post
Mike:

Pardon my directness: If you even remotely think the first PROTOTYPE version you wanted and got for FREE after AJ stayed hours after Bimmerfest ended this year to flash it on your car is *anywhere* close to the production version available now... you are sorely mistaken. And your response here is quite opposite of the feedback you gave me after driving even that version. You loved it. Take your personal beef elsewhere.

To everyone else, I do apologize. The E9x M3 software is complete and will be updated on the ESS site with dynos and more soon. There is an ESS-Tuned E92 M3 that just successfully completed the cross-country AKA Rally and ESS is currently programming a pair of E9x M3s right here at M-Fest.

Their personal feedback will be posted with their individual dyno results. If you would like to wait for that feedback, we understand and look forward to their results and thoughts!
I don't think the forum members here appreciate vendors with flaming replies. Some say there's no such thing as bad publicity.

-1 on ESS Tuning customer relations!
      08-31-2008, 08:10 PM   #12
hakaida442
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 Porsche 911 Carrera GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by argonboy View Post
I don't think the forum members here appreciate vendors with flaming replies. Some say there's no such thing as bad publicity.

-1 on ESS Tuning customer relations!
mike started the attack first and if you know the story on why he got fired from ess that's been on m5board then you would probably not feel this way.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2008, 11:50 PM   #13
IWC Doppel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

Looking forward to the feedback here.

I have heard good things about ESS and was particularly impressed by the E46 Supercharger kit. Drove like BMW had mapped it, smooth, clean and no evidence this was modded and it had 460hp !
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 04:38 AM   #14
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

M3 DME Removal:

Tools required:
8mm socket
Pick or flathead screwdriver with 90° head

The engine computer is located under the black plastic covers on the passenger side of the engine bay, against the firewall. To properly get to the computer you will need to remove all of these plastic covers from the top and both sides of the firewall. Most of these covers snap together or are held in place with 8mm screws. If you first remove the top panel immediately behind the passenger-side strut tower you will be able to see the computer compartment beneath it (white cover). Unfortunately the white cover cannot simply be removed without first removing the many black plastic covers on top of the firewall.

1. Disconnect the air temperature sensor perched just behind the strut tower (it just un-snaps).

2. Then remove the 8mm screws holding the large black plastic cover on top of the firewall. This cover runs along the top of the engine from one side of the car to the other and also houses the A/C system's microfilter. Completely remove this cover and set it aside.

3. Next there is a black, plastic cover behind the passenger strut tower. There are short rubber tabs sticking up from the cover that just "un-snap" from the rest of the cover assembly (remember to fasten these back at the end because this is part of the drainage system to keep water away from the engine computer!).

4. Repeat the process for the other side of the car with the cover over the brake fluid reservoir.

5. On the front of the firewall is another tray that runs the wiring harnesses over the top of the engine. Unsnap the top of this and use the 90° pick to separate the wiring tray from the bulkhead tray.

By now you should have the white compartment behind the passenger strut tower completely exposed. This is where the engine computer is housed.

6. Unsnap the 4 locks on the sides of the cover and remove it. Inside you will see 1 or more computers. There is only 1 DME with the two large plugs.

7. Unclip the wiring connectors running over the computer so you can get easy access to it.

8. Once you have clear access, unlock the two connectors on the computer itself by pulling their slide locks away from the center of the DME.

9. The computer is held in place with simple tabs - carefully pry the tabs away from the computer and pull it straight up and out of the compartment (be careful not to tug or catch any of the other wires in the compartment).

10. When the computer is completely free from the connector/harness, place it on a dry, clean, static-free spot (a piece of cardboard or thick paper). It would be ideal if you immediately placed the computer into the anti static material you will use for shipping.
Appreciate 0