BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

06-30-2008, 12:51 AM   #1
Nitromethane
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY09 e92 M3

Red face Greetings - seeking DCT advice!!

Hi Guys,

I've been a long time lurker, but have learned and enjoyed much from each of your threads as they led me to place an order for a MY09 E92 M3 with DCT. Thank you all!!

I have had my order for several months now, however I believe allocations should trickle in soon for E92s which leads me to start this thread...

Despite all of the information on M3Post and other forums concerning feel and worthiness of having a M3 DCT, I think nothing will compare to actually driving one yourself. With that said, I had test driven an E92 MT (loved it btw) when I first ordered the car but am getting anxious about test driving one with DCT since I still have a chance to change my order. I found an E92 with DCT at Crevier, but was unable to test drive it as it was sold. I am finding it quite difficult to find one nearby OC to test out.

What to do??? Can anyone suggest anything??? Help?

- CH3N02
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 04:18 AM   #2
milk242
Captain
Rep
Drives: Car

that's weird, I just looked at crevier's website and they have I think about 4 DCT cars listed. They even have the car I ordered listed that I passed on for the 09.
20 Tesla Model 3
23 Audi R8 (on order, never came )
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 10:19 AM   #3
SpacecakeM
Private
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitromethane View Post
Hi Guys,

I've been a long time lurker, but have learned and enjoyed much from each of your threads as they led me to place an order for a MY09 E92 M3 with DCT. Thank you all!!

I have had my order for several months now, however I believe allocations should trickle in soon for E92s which leads me to start this thread...

Despite all of the information on M3Post and other forums concerning feel and worthiness of having a M3 DCT, I think nothing will compare to actually driving one yourself. With that said, I had test driven an E92 MT (loved it btw) when I first ordered the car but am getting anxious about test driving one with DCT since I still have a chance to change my order. I found an E92 with DCT at Crevier, but was unable to test drive it as it was sold. I am finding it quite difficult to find one nearby OC to test out.

- CH3N02
No need to test drive, you WANT the DCT trust me.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 10:31 AM   #4
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Talk to you CA. Tell him you will cancel your order unless he gets you a test drive with a DCT car. It's his job to help you experience what you need to experience to make a purchasing decision. Make him do his job. He'll find a way. If he can't, go somewhere else.
      06-30-2008, 11:19 AM   #5
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

I was able to meet up with a couple guys from this forum to test drive both 6MT and DCT. You could try to work that angle.

That being said, DCT blew me away. I found it really "made" the car....

Jason
      06-30-2008, 11:42 AM   #6
Nitromethane
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Talk to you CA. Tell him you will cancel your order unless he gets you a test drive with a DCT car. It's his job to help you experience what you need to experience to make a purchasing decision. Make him do his job. He'll find a way. If he can't, go somewhere else.
I think thats the problem... I ordered the car through a salesmen that recently quit. Crevier had transferred me to another CA who is currently on vacation when I walked in this past Sunday, therefore a 3rd CA helped me who probably had no interest in the matter. I guess I could've schmoozed more to see if they could have helped me out, but I had to go.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 11:44 AM   #7
Nitromethane
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
I was able to meet up with a couple guys from this forum to test drive both 6MT and DCT. You could try to work that angle.

That being said, DCT blew me away. I found it really "made" the car....

Jason
Oooooh, this is probably a really good idea. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 11:45 AM   #8
E394KEN
M3//4KEN
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 & E90 335i (Woosh!)

No worries, DCT will be a good choice.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 01:43 PM   #9
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 coupe with DCT

I know how you feel. I was on the fence should I get the DCT? I ordered and got my car speedy quick. My car day came and I saw the car etc. and still didn't have a test drive. I didn't know what to do. I mean we didn't even test drive the car before I paid for it. So I was forced to like it you could say. But apprehensive all the same. I got my DCT no test drive whatsoever. And I am a guy that second guesses everything. But let me tell you so far the DCT is my favorite part of the car. It makes the car. I suppose the 6MT is fine, not making it a bad car. But the DCT just (IMO) make a great car even better.

IMO DCT is the way to go if you are on the fence.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 01:52 PM   #10
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by E394KEN View Post
No worries, DCT will be a good choice.
i don't think that is the reassurance he is looking for
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 02:20 PM   #11
uthatch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW/FR E92

Quote:
Hi Guys,

- CH3N02

Where are you located. Come drive my car in L.A. if it helps you decide. I don't want to get killed or anything, but you can beat on it a little bit to get a feel of it.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 02:28 PM   #12
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
Oooooh, this is probably a really good idea. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
You can contact Swamp2 via PM if you are located between San Diego and Irvine he might hook you up as long as you arent an A$$hole or anything. He is pretty good about showing off DCT and has offered to demo it to Socal people...

Jason
      06-30-2008, 03:09 PM   #13
eeeboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08M3 Space Gray DCT

Don't take this the wrong way but the CLOSEST thing you are going to find to a DCT is to drive a 335 automatic...
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 04:05 PM   #14
Mx3
M
Rep
Drives: 08.SpaceGry.DCT.19's,Tech,+

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeeboy View Post
Don't take this the wrong way but the CLOSEST thing you are going to find to a DCT is to drive a 335 automatic...
eeeboy,

I had a 335 auto as a loaner for an enitre month before getting my M3 DCT car. Absolutely no comparison IMHO. DCT offers so much dynamic range how you can drive the car. It's really a centerpiece of the car to a certain degree and I would never say the an auto in a 335 would give that same feel.

Nitromethane,
There are a lot of posts about the likes and dislikes of DCT. I recommend reviewing them at minimum to help you in your decision. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 04:24 PM   #15
eeeboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08M3 Space Gray DCT

I really meant the shifting and downshifting,flipping the paddles etc. only IMO...
It really performs like an automatic tranny... the shifting is seemless.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 04:29 PM   #16
Mx3
M
Rep
Drives: 08.SpaceGry.DCT.19's,Tech,+

Quote:
I really meant the shifting and downshifting,flipping the paddles etc. only IMO...
It really performs like an automatic tranny... the shifting is seemless.
Makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 05:09 PM   #17
icemang17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT

I have driven both....& I bought a DCT without driving it..... It truly is the best of both worlds.....incredible performance when driven hard and the convenience of an auto the other 99.9% of the time....

Is it perfect...no....it occasionally does some odd things.....but you quickly get used to it....I have no regrets at all about choosing the DCT
1989 Porsche 928S4 track beast!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 06:10 PM   #18
Nitromethane
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mx3 View Post

Nitromethane,
There are a lot of posts about the likes and dislikes of DCT. I recommend reviewing them at minimum to help you in your decision. Good luck
Absolutely. I've been scouring this forum among others like mad. Its thanks to all of these posts that led me to order an M3 with DCT. It's just that these posts don't replace the actual feel and experience you get from driving it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 12:09 AM   #19
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I have corrected your statements.

Quote:
It really performs much better than an automatic tranny... the shifting is seamless.
Appreciate 0