BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

BPM

06-25-2008, 02:43 AM   #1
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a few BMWs

It's your moral obligation to be an organ/tissue donor

There are about 97,000 people in the USA alone who are in need of some type of organ transplantation. Organs that are in an extremely limited supply......legally.

Some wait on the long list of patients for as long as a decade or more. . . with no guarantee of when they will be getting an organ, or whether they'll be getting anything at all. They are basically keeping them selves alive in hopes of getting a transplant. Cancerous livers, failed kidneys, and deteriorated heart valves, are just to name a few.

The human body can be reused in many ways that were never thought possible. Science fiction meets reality. Bones can be cleaned, sanded, and reshaped into almost any vital piece that is needed. Skin can be reused for skin grafts. The heart and it's valves can be used to either do a full transplant, or only use certain parts. The possibilities are many.

Transplant Tourism
The internet. . . a place where anything can be found, including the vital organs so desperately needed by the sick. But a shady and dark business lurks in the prisons, back alleys, and slums of places like China, India, and Afirca where selling organs to wealthy foreigners in need, has become common place.

Today, patients desperately in need of an organ transplant can look to the internet to find almost any organ, available immediately. No waiting lists. The "companies" that provide these services have done everything they can to ensure a sale, providing package deals with air fair, hotel, transportation, organ, and procedure costs. . . all in one packaged priced. Prices range from $60,000 for a kidney in China, to $290,000 for a heart in Africa, or $107,000 for a liver in India. Once the patient arrives in the country where the organ is located, they are usually given a cell phone and are told to wait for a call that will inform them that their organ is ready for transplantation... The procedure happens at a respected hospital, and all is technically well....

The Dark Reality...
So how is possible that 97,000 people in the USA are forced to wait years and years for just the possibility of an organ transplant, and over 2 million people await a transplant in China alone......yet the organs provided in foreign countries, sold on the internet, are readily available?

In India, back alley brokers and dirty middle men offer the promise of around $3000 to women impoverished and desperate enough for cash, that they sell their kidney's. However, upon removing the kidney, the women are only offered a fraction of what they were promised, usually around $700-900 and these low lives tell the women that they do not have the rest of the money or say "what are you going to do to me, huh? I'll have you killed if I want." This practice is illegal in India

China executes more prisoners then all other countries, combined. Everything from white collar crimes like embezzlement and fraud, to murders and rapes. All are usually killed. The organs of the freshly executed prisoners are sold to wealthy foreigners in need of a transplant. This practice is illegal in China

And The Reason That All of This Happens?
The supply of organs does not meet the demand for one simple reason: There aren't enough donors...

And What Does It Take To Be a Donor?
Inform your closest relative (mother, father, spouse, etc...) of your wishes to be a donor, and go to the DMV to have it indicated on your driver's license for immediate reference, or put it in a living will.

When your dead, your dead, so what does it matter what happens to your body. Put all of the religious and "moral" bullshit aside and take a step for progress and for helping those in need. Become a donor, it is selfish not to do so, and it is your moral obligation.

my .02 cents

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals

Last edited by Neema; 06-25-2008 at 04:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 02:56 AM   #2
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

I don't care what happens to my body. But I don't want some surgeon not doing his best to save my ass after a serious accident or something because he knows my organs will save 10 peoples lives.
      06-25-2008, 03:00 AM   #3
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
I don't care what happens to my body. But I don't want some surgeon not doing his best to save my ass after a serious accident or something because he knows my organs will save 10 peoples lives.
He knows your life is just as important as the rest, and though this thought crossed my mind as well, I dont think it's an issue. Not to mention that the surgeon doesn't make any money on the organs used for transplantation. Also, the decision is ultimately made by your immediate family.

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 04:43 AM   #4
koreez88
Всем привет ;)
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla

Um... Ok
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 04:48 AM   #5
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by koreez88 View Post
Um... Ok
?

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 04:51 AM   #6
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
please
      06-25-2008, 04:54 AM   #7
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude View Post
please
I dont get it........can some one please bring me up to date with what the problem against donating once your dead is?

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 05:13 AM   #8
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
FUCK, IS THAT WHAT THAT LITTLE HEART IS? I THOUGHT IT WAS BECAUSE THE LADY AT THE DMV WAS HITTING ON ME.....

Jk.. I'm a proud donor, and always will be... Does anyone ride? they call riders, "organ donors"
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 05:14 AM   #9
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost_Nation View Post
I dont get it........can some one please bring me up to date with what the problem against donating once your dead is?
Nothing wrong with that, You never know, the transplant patient could be your relative, close friend or someone you love...
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 05:19 AM   #10
NPinUK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325i M Sport

Have you been India or China? You talk like you seen it all for yourself. India and Chinas problems will decrease as they become wealthier & not by us donating.
If the no of kidneys given to drunks is reduced or ppl actually eat more healthy, stop smoking then maybe that will reduce demand.
      06-25-2008, 05:22 AM   #11
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Everyone has their own view on this...personally, I am a donor...but I think that there are some valid reasons for others who do not choose to be. Religion is probably a big one. Some people believe that their body is sacred. Others believe that those in need of organs should not receive them because it is god's decision on who lives and who dies. I also think that there is more validity to the doctor argument about letting one life end in order to save 10 others. Who knows. To say that it is a moral obligation is stretching to me, though.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 06:04 AM   #12
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
If you're going to remain ignorant and uninformed, don't post. Your status as an organ donor has no bearing on the treatment you will be provided.

In fact, if you are an organ donor, your case will be watched even more closely, because no one wants to be accused of the ignorant BS in your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPinUK View Post
Have you been India or China? You talk like you seen it all for yourself. India and Chinas problems will decrease as they become wealthier & not by us donating.
If the no of kidneys given to drunks is reduced or ppl actually eat more healthy, stop smoking then maybe that will reduce demand.
What does India or China have to do with US organ transplant?? The OP posted some numbers on India and China here, but very few if any transplantable organs will survive the flight to India or China. Your donated organs stay here in the US. I assume you were also intending to say livers given to drunks? You can't get a liver without continued clear alcohol screenings. If they detect alcohol, they can take you off the list.

Of course eating healthy and stopping smoking would help. Sheesh, if everyone did that we could reduce the demand on our medical system by significant numbers.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended

Last edited by TurboFan; 06-25-2008 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 07:40 AM   #13
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

I think he meant calling a motorcycle a 'donor cycle'.

There is another argument against donation, by those who put a price on people's lives. Many transplants are ungodly expensive to perform, and the drugs to treat after transplant are also extraordinarily costly.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 07:44 AM   #14
NPinUK
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post
If you're going to remain ingnorant and uninformed, don't post. Your status as an organ donor has no bearing on the treatment you will be provided.

In fact, if you are an organ donor, your case will be watched even more closely, because no one wants to be accused of the ignorant BS in your post..
Hows that being ignorant (at least learn how to spell the word) I think he has a valid point.

Quote:
I assume you were also intending to say livers given to drunks? You can't get a liver without continued clear alcohol screenings. If they detect alcohol, they can take you off the list.

So drink alcohol untill you need another liver but if you stop at this point its ok? BS
      06-25-2008, 07:47 AM   #15
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
I'm an organ donor as well, but I'd like for someone to explain to me why I'm obligated to donate my organs.

How about before making a thread like this, you actually go out and experience life in the real world. I don't need some 20 year old to tell me what I should be doing with my body. No one else does either. I love hippies.
      06-25-2008, 07:47 AM   #16
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post
If you're going to remain ingnorant and uninformed, don't post. Your status as an organ donor has no bearing on the treatment you will be provided.
That might be true in most situations, but that is not 100 percent absolutely true. Just because you can't imagine that being the case doesn't mean it is not possible.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 07:52 AM   #17
NPinUK
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
Everyone has their own view on this...personally, I am a donor...but I think that there are some valid reasons for others who do not choose to be. Religion is probably a big one. Some people believe that their body is sacred. Others believe that those in need of organs should not receive them because it is god's decision on who lives and who dies. I also think that there is more validity to the doctor argument about letting one life end in order to save 10 others. Who knows. To say that it is a moral obligation is stretching to me, though.
Well said.
      06-25-2008, 08:16 AM   #18
iatacs19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost_Nation View Post
There is nothing wrong, but that thing we all have is choice. You choose to donate your innards, some people do not, that's all.

We don't need to force anyone to do something they do not want to do with their own innards, be alive or dead.
      06-25-2008, 08:40 AM   #19
RBP
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i Convertible M sport

The original argument is premised on the notion that human life should be saved and extended as long as possible.

Humans are a virus and should probably be erradicated. They destroy landscapes, destroy other species, pollute and war against everything that moves.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 09:00 AM   #20
iatacs19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBP View Post
The original argument is premised on the notion that human life should be saved and extended as long as possible.

Humans are a virus and should probably be erradicated. They destroy landscapes, destroy other species, pollute and war against everything that moves.
That is just your human perspective.
      06-25-2008, 09:06 AM   #21
Taittinger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E92

Garage List
2007 335i Cpe  [0.00]
Read the book Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers. It is amazing what corpses/cadavers are used for and what the individual can do with their parts after death.

'07 Monaco Blue 335i ordered 9/4 built 9/21 shipped 9/28 arrived 10/12 at dealership 10/18 vroom 10/19 christened 11/3...
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 09:07 AM   #22
Taittinger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E92

Garage List
2007 335i Cpe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBP View Post

I saw The Matrix too.

'07 Monaco Blue 335i ordered 9/4 built 9/21 shipped 9/28 arrived 10/12 at dealership 10/18 vroom 10/19 christened 11/3...
Appreciate 0